Leopard and CS3. So what's it really like?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by MacBoobsPro, Oct 25, 2007.

1. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Now people are getting their hands on Leopard I was wondering if anyone could put my mind at ease regarding the performance of CS3 on Leopard.

I have pre-ordered Leopard and I am itching to install it but I have a few big freelance jobs on the go and if CS3 doesn't work I am unfortunately going to have to hold off installing Leopard.

2. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm glad I saw this thread before I started my own. If anyone could update us on the performance of CS3 once they install Leopard it would be much appreciated.

3. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I'm totally sure it will be all you want it to be .. ;)

4. macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Sign me up on the "I'm interested" list!

I'm pretty sure my 2,8 ghz iMac would benefit from Leopard, slight speed increase & hopefully better video drivers. But that's worth nothing if CS3 doesn't work properly.

5. thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Ok so I have Leopard in my hand right now. Does anyone want to answer the question regarding CS3?

PLEASE!!!!

6. macrumors 603

netdog

Mutlimedia claims to have spoken to Adobe support yesterday, and they told him it would work just fine, even with an archive and install. You might want to call Adobe yourself to verify, but I expect that Multi is being straight up.

I can tell you in about 6 hours what my own experience is. :)

7. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I installed CS3 on Leopard last night. For some reason Fireworks didn't go on the first time although everything else did. So I ran setup again and selected Fireworks then it went on fine.

Everything runs and installs no problem.

8. thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yeh. Multimedia is a straight up guy. We audio chatted about ripping movies a while back and he knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for the replies guys.

9. macrumors newbie

10. macrumors member

TooFastForLove

For those who may have glanced over this posting:

http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pdf

I've only tested PS so far, but I feel pretty confident about the rest of them after reading the PDF from Adobe. I actually found PS to load much faster than Tiger - I didn't see any of the "loading fonts..etc." messages when starting it up.

C'est bon!

11. macrumors 603

richard.mac

I've tested PS extended CS3 on 10.5. works great. load time is about 1-2s faster than 10.4 on my specs. Opens > 2000 pixel Leopard Server background image in about 20s when not in cache. loads same image in 5s when in cache.

screenshot for anyone interested in how PS looks in leopard

[​IMG]

12. macrumors member

I'm having some issues with Photoshop. Runs fine and all but then I go to save and Crash.

Maybe I overlooked something, any ideas?

Attached Files:

13. macrumors member

So far...

I've found that CS3 runs a LOT faster using Leopard. I haven't encountered any issues at all and I'm a pretty heavy user of the hogs (Photoshop, InDesign)

The only issue I had with the upgrade something with the mail client, but that was my ISP's issue and not the OS. (It happened when I upgraded to Tiger too)

So far, so good! (keeping fingers crossed) :apple:

14. macrumors 603

richard.mac

can you post the crash report? may be something to do with the files and folders that the adobe open/save dialogue needs but it cant find them or their corrupted. a reinstall may be in order

15. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

17 bounces - first ever open

8 bounces - second open

Seems like safari... snappier :)

16. macrumors member

I was having the same problem about 2 weeks ago running on Tiger on a PPc iMac. It was after the adobe update which I did right in the middle of a big freelance job(still kicking myself). It screwed everything up. i had every app in CS3 design standard crashing as soon as I tried to save anything or try and relink links in INDD. In had to do a clean sweep and complete reinstall and it fixed everything. I have no idea why the Adobe update would cause this....any answers. Kinda scary. Now I may have to wait for leopard as i just bought CS3 production pro and need to use it now.

17. macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Wait

I would wait for an update from Adobe.
    I use it at work and it's OK but try and do any real work it falls over.

18. macrumors member

By any chance has anybody tried using After Effects? It's listed as one of the programs that "may not fully function" under Leopard. What does this actually mean? It won't work at all, or it will work, but maybe some random tool or action makes it crash? Anybody tried it yet?

19. macrumors 65816

radiantm3

So if I haven't had a single issue with CS3 and Leopard, does that mean I'm not doing any real work? :cool:

20. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Photoshop CS3 runs grand on Leopard but InDesign CS3 won't run at all ..... :eek:

I reinstalled Quark 6.5, no problems there .. :)

21. macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Does Save For Web have any issues for you? Mine appears to take longer.

22. macrumors 6502

rrijkers

I can't seem to figure out how to add the acrobat PDF printer to my printers. Gonna have to look further for a fix... :(

Anyone? :)

23. macrumors 6502

jerryrock

InDesign CS3 runs fine in Leopard, as does Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Bridge,Flash and Quark XPress 7.3. I am not seeing the problems with Acrobat Pro that was announced by Adobe.

24. macrumors newbie

I use After Effects extensively and so far everything has run great. Seems a tad bit faster than on 10.4, also.

I had no problems at all installing Master Collection CS3, I've used Dreamweaver, PS, Illustrator, and After Effects extensively so far, and they seem to run perfect, haven't had any crashes and they all seem to run faster.

@ jerryrock: I am experiencing the same, no problems with Acrobat Pro here!

25. macrumors member

flrazor

I believe this was described as one of the problems that Adobe said they had to fix, something about the Apple print-to-PDF driver not getting along with the Adobe drivers after installing Leopard. If I can find a direct link to this information I will post it here. Adobe listed the fix for Acrobat as coming in January with the next update release cycle.