Leopard and Gaming

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kalun, Oct 12, 2006.

1. kalun macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2006

I am not sure if I should post this in the "Mac OS X" forum or the "Gaming" forum. So please feel free to move it if I posted this in the wrong place. As we all know, Windows is better at gaming, there are no denial of that (and OS X is better for almost everything else...:p ).

So Vista is coming out with DirectX 10. Is Leopard coming out with something to improve the its gaming performance?

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    Things like these have been kept secret by Apple, I doubt any of these new features are built into the developers release as well.
  3. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Apple did say they were working on making Open*L work on dual cores, but it never had anything to do with the actual performance of the OS.

Gamers would move to linux/mac any day if game developers ported their apps, unfortunately many game developers use DirectX and not Open*L making it near impossible to port.
  4. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Apple continues to improve OpenGL performance (didn't 10.4.8 include a multithreaded OGL or something?), but also games need to be optimized for the MacOS when ported.

Only Apple and/or developers would know what improvements are going to be in Leopard.
  5. kalun thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2006
    Totally agree! Windows is not a horrible OS. However, I do not like monopoly (the board game is fine, I mean in a business prespective.).
  6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    DirectX 10 does worry me a little as it's being hyped as the holy grail and I'm yet to hear of the alternative we'll be seeing on our platform. Surely if the gulf between DirectX and OpenGL becomes too wide then it'll be a barrier for future games being made for the platform and we'll all be in Bootcamp before next Tuesday ;)