Leopard & Boot Camp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by weeag, Dec 19, 2006.

1. weeag macrumors regular

Any validity to the rumors that Leopard will let you switch between windows and OSX without restarting? Just heard about it from a friend and couldn't find anything in the forums about it (I'm sure it's just buried and I missed it...)

Brian

2. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Not heard that one, but one can but hope.

Dave :)

3. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Forgot to mention.... my buddy said he read it in the Wall Street Journal and on digg.com (i think - but i can't find anything on it at either place

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This would basically be virtualisation like Parallels. Apple have publically said they are not interested in doing this. They could be lying but I'd say it's more likely Boot Camp will continue to operate like it does now.

5. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Yes, I agree .... Bootcamp will probably continue as it is.

6. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I don't want something like Parallels... If I did I'd buy Parallels. Maybe the option to do that...

7. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Come to think of it .... I already have parallels

Dave ;)

8. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Wrong-o Batman. It wouldn't be (or "basically be") virtualization. Something like that now would be using BootCamp and VirtueDesktop, which is not virtualization. Parallels is virtualization.

9. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Well, we're all getting what we want, then! ;)

10. Irish Dave macrumors regular

I do hope so.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes it would. BootCamp allows you to boot one OS at once. The only way to get two OS's running at the same time on current x86 hardware is to either use virtualisation or worse emulation.

You can hope all you want. It's not happening.

12. knoq2wice macrumors newbie

My idea of how this could work would be for OS X to go into hibernation (thus preserving everything in your current session, such as open programs, files, etc)... then Windows could start up in its place. Hibernation is essentially a full shutdown, but with the contents of RAM preserved in a file on the hard drive, which is immediately restored when woken back up (not as fast as waking up from sleep, but much faster than a full startup and reopening all of your applications). When you're done with Windows, you can put "it" into hibernation mode (or shut it down) and OS X comes up in its place, including all of your programs and files.

Something like that would be an ideal solution, short of Parallels, for someone like me. For instance, while designing websites, I have to check often in IE6/7 and other Windows browsers to ensure things look correct there - it would be nice to be able to go do a quick check without having to close down all my work.

13. aussie.damo macrumors regular

I have seen implementations like this in the Windows world, especially with Media Center hybrid PCs. I've not seen one that works well. Granted, this was done from a Windows base, perhaps an OS X implementation would be better.

14. aussie.damo macrumors regular

Something like this could be achieved by using a hypervisor like technology, relying on hardware virtualisation techniques? There's a lot of buzz around this in the Windows world at the moment. Basically, a "shim" sits between the hardware an the OS, allowing multiple OS' to access physical hardware simultaneously.

This sort of technology would need some serious testing. If it hasn't popped up in the Leopard builds by now, i'd be surprised if it made it in. But i'm only to to Mac, so don't know what they're history on such things is like.

Damo

15. Lonon macrumors member

Lonon

I heard it.

I heard the rumor, but I think it said something about an implementation like Fast User Switching, where you can easily switch between OS like you currently do with user accounts. If this is true (very unlikely, IMO) then there will be something like a new "OS menu" waiting for us. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if they make a feature like that and Parallels ends like a ditch little program that nobody use or want. Konfabulator and What's on, anyone? :rolleyes:

16. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Parallels is great, I just bought it for 80$, once the parallels team adds multi core support graphic acceleration windows should FLY on my (soon to be) 3GB Mac Pro with Parallels...

All I hope for Leopard is a better boot camp utility that is more flexible and of course proper Vista support though I suspect Apple will release vista drivers around february shortly after Vista's official release.