Leopard - Does iLife 07 come with it free???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by danielbriggs, Dec 19, 2006.

1. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Hi,

Sorry for the lame question, but i'm a recent switcher! :)
    I want to get Leopard as soon as it comes out. However, I want iWork 07 and iLife 07 too.

My 17" C2D MBP is only 2 weeks old, so i've never done an upgrade (on os X) before.

I know I will have to buy iWork 07, iWork 06 is great! (Does anyone have any details about 07, is it is a myth?)

But iLife came with my laptop, so will it come with Leopard upgrade?
    If not, how do you go about buying and upgrading 06 to 07?
    Again, any news on this, or is it a rumor?

In the iWork 06 box, I got some software vouchers, what do they do for me? i.e. money off the next one???

Is there a "bundle" for buying iLife 07, iWork 07 and Leopard? As I *need* them :p

Dan :)

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Nope; you pay for them seperately, probably 79 dollars for iLife and 129 for Leopard.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Unfortunately it doesn't. You'll have to buy both separately.

Edit: Beaten by a sec. :D

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You buy iLife 07 and iWork separately and just update over iLife 06. It will keep all your docs, pics etc where they are - however you are advised to back up your stuff before an upgrade, just in case.

Whe you get your Leopard disc just put the disk in and double click the installer icon. It will turn your mac off and autoboot from the disc then give you options on how and what you want to install. (Thats if its anything like previous updates).

Dont worry everything is simple on the Mac side of the fence.

EDIT: The vouchers are an enigma and as far as most people know dont do diddly. Same with the stickers!

5. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Dam...

Oh well, best get saving my £££'s

Does anyone actually know what's in iLife 07 and iWork 07, or is it a "definate speculation" if is there is such a thing... :confused: ...you know what I mean. :p

Also, what are the "software coupons" I got 4 in my iwork 06 box. I did a search, but to no avil.

6. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrading - The way it should be!

Off topic slightly...but could I backup my WHOLE laptop (like a ghost image) onto, say, my iPod or windows PC, or buy HDD if I find some cash?

Anyone know of the BEST program? I've heard "carbon" mentioned, but I thought that was part of the language that OS X programs used??? :confused:

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

That's just the way of the backup "a carbon copy". Anyway, there are a couple of apps out there like superduper but I would wait until Leopard comes with Time Machine and just drag your home folder to another HD to back it up.

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I don't think anyone knows exactly what they are for...

And what do you mean IN iLife?

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Software coupons are outdated. I don't exactly remember what they were used for but they're of no use today.

iLife '07 will probably have some more advanced features for the different applications in the suite. i haven't heard anything mindblowing with respect to changes in iLife.

iWork '07 is rumored to have a spreadsheet application and will most assuredly see upgrades to Pages and Keynote.

SuperDuper! can do this... it makes a bootable disk image that you can save anywhere (although the program recommends you use a hard drive that connects via FireWire). i don't see why you wouldn't be able to use an iPod, although i did run into some issues using SuperDuper! and a hard drive that connected via USB (the application froze and i had to Force Quit; it did this a few times before i realized i should use my FW drive).

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, thats what i heard too, would be really interesting to see how much better or worse it will be compare to M$ Office Excel.

11. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I used Carbon Copy Cloner.

I don't kno if there is a UB version or not.

12. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Considering Excel is the only really great app from MS and it is going to be a version 1, a lot worse I'd say.

I'd expect it to be equal at version 3 and better at version 4 if it is business as usual. If they are really fast maybe equal at 2 and better at 3 but I doubt that.

13. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I always thought you could plug in a external drive and drag your "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you renamed it) in to the other drive and it would copy the contents?

14. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As I said that works too and until Time Machine that's actually the way I'd do it instead of buying another app to do it.

15. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, but it's chicken and the egg... I need to backup incase the upgrade goes wrong...but I can't use time machine, until I upgrade! Argghhh! :(

I should have said "new features" My Mistake!

How can they improve on perfection in keynotes?? :D
    But pages needs some work - still nice though.

Ta...I'll remember that for when I do make a backup.

Is it alright across the network?? e.g. onto either a Buffalo Terrastation or a Dlink DNS-300?

I don't any of them, but I want to buy one, when I can gather some money together! Alternativly how about an aging windows box with sever 2003 and some shiney new 3x 320GB HDD's in a RAID 3? (To backup windows PC's now and then)

Anyone give me the best solution? i.e. keep it simple with just Mac -> Firewire disk, or make it a NAS for everyone? Any issues backing up onto windows from a Mac? Speed is not really an issue.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

will see, will see, I need to learn more about it, after all, people who use excel are for the functions and flexibilities rather than pretty looks, but no matter what, iwork spreadsheet need to be able to handle M$ excel file, its a standard now, and apple can't change it, lol

17. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

I know this is going to sound bad, but if you tried to do that on Windows (note past tense!) then it would copy away until it hit a file open or locked by the system. How come you can do this is OS X?

So, if i'm thinking right: Carbon Copy or SuperDuper, makes a "ghost" (from windows days...) image that you stick on an external drive. How do you "stick it back on" say, upgrade fails or HDD dies???

And a "drag to external HDD" copies ALL of your preferences and documents, but NOT programs and the actual system files?

Thanks in advance...just need this clarifying

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Hopefully Time Machine will allow you to back up your drive before you install Leopard.

19. live4ever macrumors 6502a

They used to sell a bundle of OS X, iLife, and iWork as package.

20. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I know you can copy your home folder by dragging to a new disk, I'm not sure you can get the OS and apps that way.

You could in OS9 and before...IIRC.

AS for using the network drives or servers and Carbon Copy Cloner, I would recommend not to do it that way. You may very well can. I use a LaCie d2 500gig drive. FW400 & 800 and USB2 (USB2 not recommended for start up...not even sure it will work). With FW you can boot from the disk and everything is just like the old machine. You can also restore it back with CCC if needed.

This also works great if you need to upgrade your HD.