Leopard Dual boot - partition help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sinecurea, Aug 14, 2006.

1. sinecurea macrumors regular

Hi Folks,
    I currently have 10.4.7 on an Intel iMac but would like to Dual boot with my new Leopard Dev Preview.
    This obvisouly means having to partition the hard drive, but when I try to partition the disk, Disk Utility won't let me - I'm presuming this has something to do with the fact that I"m trying to partition the sole disk partition, which contains the OS which is currently in use.
    Is there a way for me to partition the disk without having to format and start from scratch?

I should also mention, that at the same time, I'm also going to create a third partition and install XP via boot camp.

Cheers,
    S.

2. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

You will be able to partition in Disk Utility from the Install disc. Doing this will allow you to partition, but it will wipe all the contents of your HD. You're probably better off doing an archive and install of Leopard, or installing to an external FW drive like a 4G iPod or earlier.

Of course, if you were a developer with a genuine copy, you wouldn't have had to ask how to do this, surely?

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

4. Mr. Dee macrumors 6502a

Mr. Dee

Try using Boot Camp, since it will do non-destructive partitioning, boot from the Leopard dev disk then format the partition you created with Boot Camp as HFS and then install.

5. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Ooh, that's not too bad an idea actually. I never thought of that when it comes to installing two Operating Systems on a Mac. I'll have to remember that for the future, if I ever need two Mac Operating Systems that is, (however unlikely).

6. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

:)