Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
just purchased an iBook G4 with Leopard installed and I would like to get a set of install disks just in case I ever need to reinstall. Does anyone have a set of Leopard disks they would be willing to sell?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
just purchased an iBook G4 with Leopard installed and I would like to get a set of install disks just in case I ever need to reinstall. Does anyone have a set of Leopard disks they would be willing to sell?

Good luck with finding those at a good price! Your best bet is to find a firewire drive and partition it with the Apple Partition Map format and clone your OS onto that partition.

Especially since the OS X Leopard discs during that time weren't universal so you might accidentally buy discs made for an iMac(which wouldn't end up working).

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Now that's an interesting way of doing it! I will give that a try as I DO have a spare firewire drive kicking around!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

That actually does look like an ok deal. I still think it's an unnecessary expense though, unless you have more than PPC machine that needs Leopard.

If you go the firewire drive route, make sure that it can boot up a PPC Mac. My Western Digital Firewire drives could not according to WD's website(and I was pretty annoyed).

Another thing you could do(which I did) was clone the OS from a different PPC machine. I cloned Leopard from my iMac G5 and then transferred it to the iBook G4. I also have clones of Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion.

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hi Guys,

Firstly many thanks for all the info and offers of help! I was very lucky to blag a copy of leopard (retail) on ebay last night for £25 sterling on a Buy it Now!

Chuffed to bits :)

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Makes me think how much my original Universal 10.5 Leopard Family pack DVD would go for if I offered it up... original packaging, manual, and all. :apple:

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Saw a few family packs on ebay last night but didn't even consider bidding as I bet they will go for :eek: CRAZY :eek: prices!!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Makes me think how much my original Universal 10.5 Leopard Family pack DVD would go for if I offered it up... original packaging, manual, and all. :apple:

It would go for a lot. I would like to have it for my iMac G5 and my iBook G4 and just in case I lose the discs for my 2009 iMac. But alas, I could not even begin to afford that unless I sell some other things first.

----------

What I can do is make an image of it for you.. This is my only disc.

I appreciate it, but I think I'll just wait for a disc of my own. I never knew how valuable( for security) those discs were until I started owning Macs; and especially since I have been buying and "fixing" older Macs.

By fixing, I simply mean helping people with OS issues, preparation to sell processes, and OS reinstallation.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm sorry but I could never give my leopard disc away it is priceless to me and has the original box, paperwork, stickers, and disc in it. If I had an extra I would but I don't. :/

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I'm sorry but I could never give my leopard disc away it is priceless to me and has the original box, paperwork, stickers, and disc in it. If I had an extra I would but I don't. :/

I don't want to either but the prices they go for is tempting me, luckily i have 2. :D

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
I have just purchased original, retail versions from OS 7.8, OS 8, OS 9 , OS X, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard for 30€... no original boxes or documentation, but I consider it a good deal, still!

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I have just purchased original, retail versions from OS 7.8, OS 8, OS 9 , OS X, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard for 30€... no original boxes or documentation, but I consider it a good deal, still!

That's quite the collection.

Did the seller know what he/she was selling?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
What bothers me about eBay is that Apple is selling Snow Leopard for $19.99, but people are trying to sell it for much more than that and it's crazy.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
What bothers me about eBay is that Apple is selling Snow Leopard for $19.99, but people are trying to sell it for much more than that and it's crazy.

I share your frustration to a certain extent. There isn't always a buyer for every seller, but there are enough people willing to buy at a given price to make it worthwhile for some. This only part of what makes eBay such a success.

I shake my head whenever I see PowerPCs in awful condition -- missing HDDs, cracked displays, not known to work and missing an AC adapter/battery, and on and on -- offered at a premium. Whether or not it's by design, many of the PowerPC ads on NYC Craig's List are misleading in that they never mention that the hardware and much of the software is unsupported and not useful for many tasks. This may be a gray area in person-to-person commerce, and there will forever be opportunistic people who cash in on buyers' ignorance.

I bought my iBook for $200 three years ago in pristine condition. If I were looking to buy today, I wouldn't pay half that price unless I had a compelling reason to do so. My sense is that PowerPCs have reached a plateau in terms of price/worth. Things get old, and they start breaking down, even with the best maintenance and care. Unless you're a collector, someone who wants to play around with a PowerPC, or simply unaware of what you're buying, I don't see many people paying a premium as was the case just a couple of years ago.

I've kept my iBook in very good condition, and treated it with the same TLC as I've done with all my Macs. When I sold Macs in the past, people were universally impressed with their condition, to say nothing of receiving hardware upgrades, original packaging, stickers and original discs. I always got a price I thought was fair, and no one ever felt cheated.

I could probably get a decent price for my iBook were I interested in selling it. But I'm not. At this point, I'd much rather keep it, regardless of if/when I upgrade to an Intel Mac. And I just don't see the point in purchasing another PowerPC. I've done my time optimizing my older Macs, and have since reached diminishing returns in terms of keeping things current.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I picked up an Indigo G3 iMac on eBay for $20 several months ago, cleaned it up, stuck Tiger on it, upgraded everything I could, perfect working condition... I'm hoping to hold on to it for as long as I can, see what it's worth in 20 years :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.