Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Well guys my "Leopard" disk arrived today and guess what?! SNOW LEOPARD and not bloody Leopard! ! Ebay seller stated he thought leopard was snow leopard!!

So I am once again in need if a Leopard install DVD and getting nowhere! Found this website which looks legit but wanted to get opinions before ordering from them:

http://shop.macosxsoftware.co.uk/

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Dude,

I am sorry the seller did that to you.. But let me know if you want me to provide it for you.. You still have my email I sent you? While yes, if money is not an object for you go ahead and pay the 129.00 and higher prices for Leopard, but I can provide for you and it would be worth nothing.

I know the shiny, retail disc is what is worth it being so much, but if you are in dire straits and need it, let me know.

PPCMM
:apple:

Well guys my "Leopard" disk arrived today and guess what?! SNOW LEOPARD and not bloody Leopard! ! Ebay seller stated he thought leopard was snow leopard!!

So I am once again in need if a Leopard install DVD and getting nowhere! Found this website which looks legit but wanted to get opinions before ordering from them:

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
How much are they worth? I still have an original 2007 universal version that says it was assembled in ireland and is Intel and PPC

I just lost my job and need a quick buck

:eek:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
How much are they worth? I still have an original 2007 universal version that says it was assembled in ireland and is Intel and PPC

I just lost my job and need a quick buck

:eek:

Normal disks probably could fetch $70-100. If it localized for Ireland somehow, I don't know.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Good luck with finding those at a good price! Your best bet is to find a firewire drive and partition it with the Apple Partition Map format and clone your OS onto that partition.

I second this, but with the one caveat, that you need to be quite sure that your current installation is a "good" one. What I mean is that with just a cloned FW drive, you'll never get the real benefit of a full fresh install...

RGDS,

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
I'm willing to part with mine very cheap to help the guy out as it just sits in my drawer doing nothing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I second this, but with the one caveat, that you need to be quite sure that your current installation is a "good" one. What I mean is that with just a cloned FW drive, you'll never get the real benefit of a full fresh install...

RGDS,

I couldn't agree more. I however purchased my PPC Macs from a reseller that neither includes the original installation discs or even the original accessories with the machines they sell. So I had to clone Tiger and Leopard and just hope that they're good enough until I can find reasonably priced retail discs; or at the very least the machine-specific installation discs.

I still have them for my iMac and my wife's iMac, but the Intel iMac discs did not work with the PPC iMac.

----------

I'm willing to part with mine very cheap to help the guy out as it just sits in my drawer doing nothing

That's incredibly nice of you. Just PM the OP and see what you two can work out!

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013

Hi Graeme43,

if U R interested in selling I would love to take it off your hands! Please PM me if interested

Cheers

Dave

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hi,

What I gave you was the EXACT disc this person Graeme43 is going to sell you. The only thing you will be paying for is the fancy artwork and the fact it comes with the manual and fancy box.. 10.5 is the original release of Leopard which I sent you. All you have to do is update to 10.5.8 and you will be fine.

QUOTE=davewill2010;16883845]Hi Graeme43,

if U R interested in selling I would love to take it off your hands! Please PM me if interested

Cheers

Dave[/QUOTE]

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Totally aprecciate you doing that for me as well and I was able to make a USB installer for it which with a little persuasion runs fine on my IBook G4 but cannot get it to work on my PowerBook so thats whn I am still wanting an actual install DVD .

Hi,

What I gave you was the EXACT disc this person Graeme43 is going to sell you. The only thing you will be paying for is the fancy artwork and the fact it comes with the manual and fancy box.. 10.5 is the original release of Leopard which I sent you. All you have to do is update to 10.5.8 and you will be fine.

QUOTE=davewill2010;16883845]Hi Graeme43,

Cheers

Dave
[/QUOTE]

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
USB is easy.. Go into Open Firmware
Type: devalias and search for "ud"

Once you found ud, type: boot ud:,\\:tbxi - Leopard will start up.. Easy.

You don't need the original DVD.. What I sent you was the full image.. In fact, you can make your own DVD. Use Disk Utility and highlight the image on the left. CLICK BURN... Voila! a Leopard DVD is BORN!

Hope this helps.

PPCMM

Totally aprecciate you doing that for me as well and I was able to make a USB installer for it which with a little persuasion runs fine on my IBook G4 but cannot get it to work on my PowerBook so thats whn I am still wanting an actual install DVD .
[/QUOTE]

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London

The stupidity of some people is out of this world.
Contact paypal and tell them that what you received is nowhere near what was advertised.

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Tried that and was able to get my iBook to boot from USB doing that but not my PowerBook. Is it possible to burn a MAC OS X Leopard install DVD on a Windows PC?

USB is easy.. Go into Open Firmware
Type: devalias and search for "ud"

Once you found ud, type: boot ud:,\\:tbxi - Leopard will start up.. Easy.

You don't need the original DVD.. What I sent you was the full image.. In fact, you can make your own DVD. Use Disk Utility and highlight the image on the left. CLICK BURN... Voila! a Leopard DVD is BORN!

Hope this helps.

PPCMM
[/QUOTE]

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I would burn the Leopard image using Disk Utility - You will have a fully bootable disk under Mac OS X as Windows might not make it bootable and the image may fail to even run.

What version PowerBook do you have? If its the dual-layer model like I have.. simply go into Open Firmware and type devalias.

Look then for "ud". Once you find it then type: boot ud:,\\:tbxi and that should boot Leopard for you..

I am actually on my Gateway hackintosh typing this and in Open Firmware on my PowerBook and I see ud and typing the same command. Believe me, it works!

But yeah I would burn the Mac OS X Leopard.dmg I sent you using Disk Utility. Just highlight the image file on the left and click burn.

Let me know if this all works out for you.. if not, I can skype you and I can remotely help you to accomplish this. Normally I charge a fee for all this, but because you were in dire straits and this goes for everyone on here. I do this as a service because I am trying to help those save money.

Tried that and was able to get my iBook to boot from USB doing that but not my PowerBook. Is it possible to burn a MAC OS X Leopard install DVD on a Windows PC?
[/QUOTE]

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I couldn't agree more. I however purchased my PPC Macs from a reseller that neither includes the original installation discs or even the original accessories with the machines they sell. So I had to clone Tiger and Leopard and just hope that they're good enough until I can find reasonably priced retail discs; or at the very least the machine-specific installation discs.

I still have them for my iMac and my wife's iMac, but the Intel iMac discs did not work with the PPC iMac.

----------

That's incredibly nice of you. Just PM the OP and see what you two can work out!

There are ways round that... Install to a partition on the intel iMac, place PPC Mac in target disc mode, then clone fresh install over to PPC Mac via FireWire, making sure you keep the Apple Partition Map on the PPC Mac's HD.

I used that on my old G4 when I had a duff optical drive and needed to re-install. My old MB, being a 2009 came with 10.5.6 and my Leopard retail disk is 10.5.0 so wouldn't boot on my MB, therefore I had to use the grey disk. It still worked. Unlike Tiger, Leopard is Universal.

cliveadams

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Re shop.macosxsoftware.co.uk

I ordered the same upgrade from the same people after being messed about on ebay to ! I am pleased to say the product arrived quick and was simple to install for me anyway as it was on a USB. I had a query and called the number and they assisted me on skype for an hour until all was done. Personally i have nothing but good to report on them.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I have just purchased original, retail versions from OS 7.8, OS 8, OS 9 , OS X, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard for 30€... no original boxes or documentation, but I consider it a good deal, still!

Man! That's beautiful.
But: 10.1 is missing...
I have an upgrade disc somewhere ...

RGDS,

Good luck with finding those at a good price! Your best bet is to find a firewire drive and partition it with the Apple Partition Map format and clone your OS onto that partition.

Especially since the OS X Leopard discs during that time weren't universal so you might accidentally buy discs made for an iMac(which wouldn't end up working).

Makes me think how much my original Universal 10.5 Leopard Family pack DVD would go for if I offered it up... original packaging, manual, and all. :apple:

christ...

i've got tiger through snow leopard on physical media with the original packages...

didn't realize they had any worth at all...

maybe i'll slog them up on ebay

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
I believe 10.1 was released only as a free upgrade to 10.0 according to wiki
It was available as a full non-upgrade install as well, for if you didn't already have 10.0 - the one on the left below is the upgrade from 10.0, while the bigger box is the full-price package (the box looks almost identical to 10.0's though). The disc on the right is the full retail 10.1, you'll see it lacks the "Upgrade CD" text below the Apple logo.

Attachments

• DSC02062.JPG
    DSC02062.JPG
    913.7 KB · Views: 87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.