Leopard - Free Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FritterFratter, Feb 10, 2007.

1. FritterFratter macrumors newbie

I'm going to be making the switch to Mac in the near future and I just have a quick question about how Apple runs their OS upgrades. Forgive me if this is a complete newbie question:

Does Apple offer a free upgrade to their new OS if you purchase a system shortly before the release of that new OS? In other words, do they offer a similar upgrade like Microsoft did with a new PC buyers who purchased just prior to the Vista release?

As I said, I'm going to buy a new Mac but it seems kind of silly to buy now if I'm going to end up paying another $130 or so within a few months. Also, do they tend to raise the prices on their systems with the release of a new OS? I'm in no rush to buy so if it seems better to wait, I can certainly do that.

Thanks in advance,

FritterFratter

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

I would hold out to buy a new mac until Leopard is released. It is going to be released in late spring.

I believe that Apple does offer the free upgrade if you buy a computer right before the OS is released, but no one even knows when the OS is going to be released exactly. Don't try and time it.

And the OS prices are usually the same, and my guess is that Leopard isn't going to be much more, if any at all, than Tiger

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The only real free OS "upgrade" will be if you purchase a machine after Leopard is released, but it's not yet pre-installed. In that case you will receive the discs when it comes into the stores.

4. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

I sure hope you're wrong and ittl be released before WWDC.

-=|Mgkwho

5. FritterFratter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses. I like the idea of buying "old" Mac stock at the time of the Leopard release. It'd be really handy to have both OS's for one price and would make for an easy upgrade once the Leopard bugs get ironed out.

Much appreciated.

FritterFratter

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

No FREE Upgrade Until Apple Says So IF They Say So

You'll have to wait until Apple makes such an offer IF they do at the release date announcement. Otherwise you will have to wait until Leopard ships to get it for less than $129 more or $75 academic.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you buy the day before the actual shipping date announcement (which should happen 1-3 weeks prior to shipping) -- tough titties.

Buy after the shipping date announcement and it'll range from free to the usual $19.95 with the up-to-date program.

8. sneakerphile macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there's likely to be an increase in Macbook prices when Leopard releases?

9. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

AFAIK Apple have never raised system price with the release of a new OS.

10. bob marley macrumors newbie

what is this microsoft

11. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

No way Apple would release Leopard for free. It's really worth the $130.:D

12. Viremia macrumors regular

That's a pretty ignorant statement. Microsoft doesn't make the hardware on which you install their OS. If Dell/HP/Sony/etc want to increase the price of their computers after MS releases a new OS, MS doesn't have much control over that. They don't set the price of the computer hardware, just the OS. And MS would likely not support a substantial increase since that usually discourages consumers. The increase in the cost of the new MS OS over the price of the old OS is minimal for the OEMs due to concessions from MS.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They never would raise prices with a new OS, they use it to sell the hardware anyway ;).

14. AlexGFX88 macrumors member

It was pretty stupid, but it was freakin' funny.

:D

Cheers,
    Alex

15. Georgie macrumors member

No, no it's not. Microsoft offers free upgrades to their new operating systems if you buy a computer within a couple months of their releasing that new OS. That's one thing they do right for their customers. I appreciate that Apple's opacity breeds fun rumormills like this website, but sometimes it's just too much. Dealing with Apple can be very frustrating, from trying to return a product to trying to predict when you should buy that product. The idea that the consumer has no right to know when a new or updated product is about to be released and should continue buying obliviously, that is an insult.

Do you know that if your brand new laptop arrives broken in some way but will turn on--maybe the graphics card is whack or there's a faulty motherboard component--you may not return it, you may only have it repaired. That really angers me. I didn't spend $3,000 for a refurbished computer, which is what I call a repaired, serviced computer. No, I spent $3,000 for a perfectly-working brand-new computer. Obviously my vitriol stems from personal experience: actually the first and only two Apple's I've ever purchased (iMac, defective graphics card; MBP, defective mobo component), both about nine months ago. I think Apple's Customer Service is terrible.

I have nothing positive to say about Apple's Customer Service because they've never been helpful. Those hardware issues were a huge pain, but when that was finally settled I was left with a spacebar (on my MBP) that squeaked loudly with every press. I've owned a number of laptops and computers and I've never heard that, but that's what they Apple Genius at my local store insisted: "Oh, all keyboards do that." BS! I was forced to go home and pry off the key and see what I could do about it. (Interestingly, smearing a light coat of clear nail polish on the metal guide-posts seemed to do the trick.)

And when I made a movie in Quicktime Pro by splicing together a couple clips with a couple static photographs (already resized in PS), that self-contained movie played fine until I emptied the resized photos from my Trash bin. Then it wouldn't play, though the file was 50+ megs so the videos were obviously inside. Called support several times to ask what I could do, how I could get at the data, any of it. The people I talked to were derisive, rude, and really made little attempt to help.

Honestly, I'm a nice guy, I wasn't yelling and screaming. I always try to be nice because I know Customer Support people have to put up with a lot of s**t, but these experiences were extremely frustrating. In some cases it was personnel, and in some cases corporate policy was to blame.

16. djellison macrumors 68020

No they don't. The hardware manufacturers, Gateway, Dell, whoever - they have bought that licence that they give to you when Vista released. Probably some deal with MS - "We'll pay $X for the XP lic on each machine, how about an extra few bucks for a Vista upgrade as well?"

Doug

17. Georgie macrumors member

Whatever. Apple doesn't do that either. You have buy the new OS at full price, no discount. Or you can buzz off, they don't care.

18. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Seems to me that Apple has a decent return/refund policy for its products besides custom built machines. MS won't even let you return a faulty XBOX or ZUNE. Nothing new really, just corporate America for ya. So don't get mad at our little rumormill for your lack of research. :p

Oh and customer service pretty much sucks across the board. Just need to be really lucky.