Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Think Secret has posted a more comprehensive gallery of the improvements in the latest Mac OS 10.5 "Leopard" build, seeded to developers last week.

With only two known issues remaining, MacRumors sources are indicating that Leopard is in the release candidate stage of development. Release Candidates are typically chosen amongst builds that have no known major issues and little to no known minor issues. If thorough testing does not produce any show-stopping issue, a Gold Master will be declared and production of media and packaging will commence.

Production times for software can take 2-3 weeks, which means Apple has approximately 2 weeks left for testing of release candidates and certification of a gold master. Yesterday, MacScoop said their sources had indicated a final candidate was near.

Article Link

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
10.5.1 update December 1st.

Bugs galore will be found, just like with Tiger. A Leopard with fleas for sure!

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Bugs galore will be found, just like with Tiger. A Leopard with fleas for sure!

Bugs are always found in software. That's how the development process works. If dev teams focused on getting every single bug fixed before release, can you imagine how slow software technologies would be progressing? It just doesn't work that way; nothing would ever be released. Plus, I'm betting 10.5.1 will be out much earlier than December.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Still missing in build 9A559 are new screen savers that were included in earlier Leopard builds, while ZFS support is still absent from Disk Utility in 9A559. Support for resolution independence, which has rudimentary support in Tiger and had been rumored to be arriving with full support in Leopard, remains no where to be found.

Hmmm, that doesn't make me very happy. As Jobs has been beefing up resolution independence for a long while, not putting into the final release of Leopard is a big disappointment (although I realize it is not the only change Leopard has to offer, there are many huge improvements).

Along with the scrapping of "Fast OS Switching", I'm getting the sense Apple is ditching aspects of Leopard that can't be worked out before the scheduled October release. I'd rather see a slight delay (again) and have those features added, especially as I need Windows Vista quite often to perform AutoCAD work (running Parallels and VMWare doesn't work as AutoCAD needs as much RAM as it can get).

Of note, Front Row has seen a substantial face-lift with 9A559 and along with getting its own icon in the Applications folder, like Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces, the interface now resembles that of AppleTV.

How does this benefit us Mac Pro users who still can't use Front Row due to Apple's lack of IR sensor in the Cinema Display and/or Mac Pro tower?

Some bad news on that. For those on Macrumors that have been keeping up with me on their interest in Front Row and new displays, my friend at Apple wrote me about a few things. First, it appears that Apple has been making an open point in Cupertino to concentrate less on their Pro line. While he said he has been writing code on a new 30" HD Cinema Display that apple has in the works (said it would retail for roughly $2500) that has huge improvements, there will be no IR sensor or built in iSight. Further, he said Apple may scrap the display altogether and mentioned something about tv/monitors as a core product, but those are off by at least a year.

So, it appears Apple will not be revamping the display line any time soon, and if they do it won't address the Mac Pro's inability to use Front Row. :(

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Friday October 26

Still think they're shooting for this date as the get-in-line-at-the-store event date. Love watching Phil Schiller accompany his son in line to buy a copy at the Palo Alto Apple Store. ;) nk.

InfernoSoul

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
North Platte, NE
Woohoo! Go iPhone! What's leopard? Does it increase the functionality of iPhone? /sarcasm

On a more serious note, I think I might be picking up a new Mac Mini with the release of leopard. Unless I hear a rumour that the mini's might see a upgrade again in the near future.

Retired
May 16, 2006
On a more serious note, I think I might be picking up a new Mac Mini with the release of leopard. Unless I hear a rumour that the mini's might see a upgrade again in the near future.

Very unlikely, they just got updated :)

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
.Mac still doesn't work in the newest seed. There is also some serious lock issues going on. Randomly the entire machine freezes for up to 5 minutes. This does happen a lot if you are using "fast user switch" to switch accounts.

Its getting really close, but I don't feel its close to gold in the current seed.

pixlnet

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
I think it'll go gold by the weekend or over the weekend. Not sure what kind of hours the engineers are putting into this thing....

They do builds each day right? Then seed the most stable ones?

niclet

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
45.5200000, -73.5600000
Improvement?

I wonder how it will behave on my PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz?

When I moved from Panther, I notice that Tiger was more responsive and it sped up my system, a great improvement!

But now, with all those System requirements rumors (over than 800MHz etc.), I'm quite skeptical that it will run faster on my PB.

What do you think?

PJF13

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
With the very clear "space" themed direction Apple has been going I'm surprised they are calling Leopard "Leopard" and not going to a new space themed title for the release. That would really spice things up a bit!

My suggestion: OS X "Galaxy"

:)

ibanana

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
With the very clear "space" themed direction Apple has been going I'm surprised they are calling Leopard "Leopard" and not going to a new space themed title for the release. That would really spice things up a bit!

My suggestion: OS X "Galaxy"

:)

Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

shov

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
View PDFs in browser?

hmm... not really arsed how it looks (i banished the hideous brushed metal look with UNO yonks ago). all i want is to be able to view pdfs in a browser window, so i don't liter my desktop with millions of (scientific) papers.

it's got to the stage where i'll only read papers through parallels to avoid this...

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Hmmm, that doesn't make me very happy. As Jobs has been beefing up resolution independence for a long while, not putting into the final release of Leopard is a big disappointment (although I realize it is not the only change Leopard has to offer, there are many huge improvements).

Along with the scrapping of "Fast OS Switching", I'm getting the sense Apple is ditching aspects of Leopard that can't be worked out before the scheduled October release. I'd rather see a slight delay (again) and have those features added, especially as I need Windows Vista quite often to perform AutoCAD work (running Parallels and VMWare doesn't work as AutoCAD needs as much RAM as it can get).

How does this benefit us Mac Pro users who still can't use Front Row due to Apple's lack of IR sensor in the Cinema Display and/or Mac Pro tower?

Some bad news on that. For those on Macrumors that have been keeping up with me on their interest in Front Row and new displays, my friend at Apple wrote me about a few things. First, it appears that Apple has been making an open point in Cupertino to concentrate less on their Pro line. While he said he has been writing code on a new 30" HD Cinema Display that apple has in the works (said it would retail for roughly $2500) that has huge improvements, there will be no IR sensor or built in iSight. Further, he said Apple may scrap the display altogether and mentioned something about tv/monitors as a core product, but those are off by at least a year.

So, it appears Apple will not be revamping the display line any time soon, and if they do it won't address the Mac Pro's inability to use Front Row. :(
command + escape activates front row :)
and since front row has its own app now any mac can activate it

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
As far as resolution independence is concerned.jobs himself said at the WWDC that he'd like to see all developers using it by early 2008.That in itself should show you when RI is going to be going full steam.

mikesilv

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Seattle
Where are all the "Secret Features"?

I'm starting to think these mythical features were just BS to cover for the fact that Apple's attention was completely diverted to the iPhone, and nothing special was going to happen with Leopard.

Please, dear god, I hope they finally fix the Finder's SMB client so it can connect to Windows 2k3/Vista boxes without having to turn off packet signing. It's pretty laughable to have to turn off Windows security features, so you can connect to fileshares. Even more assanine to have to pay the cost of the OS to pick up Thursby software's Dave, to connect to these newer Windows boxes properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.