Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I Am Designer™

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
London, UK
Through all of this, what is the compelling reason to upgrade to 10.5? :confused:

I'm one who is cursed with always wanting the latest and greatest but I'm not sure I see a real reason to upgrade (and go through upgrade hell). The time machine thing seems interesting but then I'm not one to delete stuff accidentally. And when I make changes to an important document I save it as a new document.

Anyone?

Read some of my personal points on Page 2 of this thread.

For me, there are a few features of leopard that will change the way I work and interact with my mac in exactly the same way as features introduced in years gone by.

I really am starting to think that expectations of Apple's current OS model are built on what Microsoft released in Vista. Vista was touted as a major sea-change when juxtaposed with XP - exactly the same way Apple went from OS9 to X. With leopard we are seeing the further evolution of X - and yet, even with it being a larger incremental change, it is still in fact leaps and bounds ahead of Vista in what it can achieve. In fact, Tiger as it stands has better executed features and in-line applications than Vista. If you dont think there is anything compelling in Leopard to make you upgrade then you should most certainly stick with the OS version you have - and simply wait until Apple release a compelling enough version of their OS that suits your needs. For me, Leopard has enough compelling features to make me upgrade once it's released.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Agree!

two things

the scrollbars really need to be changed to the itunes scrollbars. the bright aqua style really doesn't match the rest of the leopard UI

also, is it just me or do the aqua buttons need to go too? they look really awkward next to all the other changes in the leopard UI and i really think that the buttons should go along with the scrollbars

I really don't like the iTunes scroll bars but they are growing on me a little, and i LOVE aqua, but I have to totally agree. Either Apple needs to get rid of ALL Aqua to match the iPhone/iTunes interface they are going with, or keep Aqua, or make something new. But all mixed together like it is now looks bad. Another thing is the buttons in Preview are even different from all of that too lol. Its kind of sad that Steve goes off about consistency and yet the best design people in the world at Apple are mixing together so much stuff it looks ridiculous.

d70

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
Two known issues remain?

I agree that they are probably locking things down for RC but there are still tons of bugs left, some major ones still remain ... not just two known. Good thing is they have the Leopard update software working (I hope), so from now on they can push out fixes gradually after it's gone gold.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
ok

Through all of this, what is the compelling reason to upgrade to 10.5? :confused:

I'm one who is cursed with always wanting the latest and greatest but I'm not sure I see a real reason to upgrade (and go through upgrade hell). The time machine thing seems interesting but then I'm not one to delete stuff accidentally. And when I make changes to an important document I save it as a new document.

Anyone?

I understand what you are saying. I think I am pretty much the same way. But all it takes is once, just once and Time Machine will be worth EVERYTHING. Especially with the way we store everything in our lives digitally now, this is really important for the future. Especially with how fun and easy Apple makes it. This is probably the only backup app a normal non computer person would ever use.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
With the exception of Xcode there are no 64-bit applications in Leopard now.

The frameworks are 64-bit however, allowing other developers to create 64-bit applications.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
"Individual folders can now be specified to always open in a particular view mode."

WAHOOO

finder03.jpg

That's not new o_O

"Show View Options" does just that.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Here are the code names for Mac OS Classic as far back System 7.5, I am sure earlier versions had code names but probably were not publicized.

System 7.5 - Capone
System 7.6 - Harmony

Mac OS 8.0 - Tempo
Mac OS 8.1 - Bride of Buster
Mac OS 8.5 - Allegro
Mac OS 8.6 - Veronica

Mac OS 9.0 - Sonata
Mac OS 9.1 - Fortissimo
Mac OS 9.2 - Moonlight

Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

As for the future:
Mac OS 10.6 - Cougar
Mac OS 10.7 - Lynx

Simply because they are trademarked already. Apple could use the Lynx branding as a way of saying its the link to the future in system software innovation and application development. Then again, these new galaxy focused themes in Leopard concerning space and time could possibly be a sign of whats to come in the future. 10.5 code be the last cat themed Mac OS.

Apple could go back to making codenames internal:

Mac OS 11.0 - Universe
Mac OS 11.1 - Solar
Mac OS 11.2 - Stars
Mac OS 11.3 - Nebula
Mac OS 11.4 - Nova
Mac OS 11.5 - Galaxy

Mac OS 11.6 - Milky Way
Mac OS 11.7 - Planets

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
As for the future:
Mac OS 10.6 - Cougar

I wonder if ANYONE at Apple knows that "Puma", "Panther", and "Cougar" are all different names for the SAME CAT? (felis puma concolor).

Yep, all the same cat. So I hope they go for "lynx" for the next release, because we don't need yet ANOTHER OSX release named after puma concolor!

-Z

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
? = lynx or cougar

Apple has both of these names trademarked. The cat theme is here to stay.
These names could last until around 2011. What a great time to put out OS11 anyway!

I just can't see Cougar... Maybe this is a regional thing, maybe nobody will know what I'm talking about, but around here, Cougar refers to... ahem... a mature single lady whose intentions are her own business, but her approach is considered... ummm... shameless or overly agressive and her targets are 10 to 15 years younger than her (and I'm not being sexist; mature single guys who act this way I would call an "@$$." Besides, its not my word, but is in common usage.)

I guess naming it Cougar might be a good way to indicate that it is a "mature" operating system, but everytime I have to say "Mac OS X Cougar" I'll be imagining my Macbook shamelessly hitting on the handsome young linux machine at the next table before spilling an umbrella drink on herself and falling over her stilletos.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Res. independence is FULLY implemented in Leopard, they just chose not to make it an end-user feature until third parties have had time to update their apps.

You can nevertheless turn it on if you want, just install dev tools and use Quartz Debug.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Don't bet around the bush.

Mature single woman who like to pull men 'half' ( in quotes ) her age...

I just can't see Cougar... Maybe this is a regional thing, maybe nobody will know what I'm talking about, but around here, Cougar refers to... ahem... a mature single lady whose intentions are her own business, but her approach is considered... ummm... shameless or overly agressive and her targets are 10 to 15 years younger than her (and I'm not being sexist; mature single guys who act this way I would call an "@$$." Besides, its not my word, but is in common usage.)

I guess naming it Cougar might be a good way to indicate that it is a "mature" operating system, but everytime I have to say "Mac OS X Cougar" I'll be imagining my Macbook shamelessly hitting on the handsome young linux machine at the next table before spilling an umbrella drink on herself and falling over her stilletos.

kwong2006

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Res. independence is FULLY implemented in Leopard, they just chose not to make it an end-user feature until third parties have had time to update their apps.

You can nevertheless turn it on if you want, just install dev tools and use Quartz Debug.

How would you turn it on if you are a layuser?

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
How does this build run for basic web browsing and multimedia stuff? Does iTunes run perfectly? iPhoto?

I'm thinking of installing it on an old iMac G5 in the other room that my parents use just for basic word processing and browsing.

LittleJ09

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
Please someone at Apple get off the drugs and change the folder icons... I don't think I have ever seen anything more hideous.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one... they're awful

Lots of love on pretty much everything else though :)

Hombre

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
Aqua doesn't fit in there anymore

I really hope they change the remaining aqua controls before release, as they really don't fit in there anymore. See how they don't look very consistent next to the new darker blue selection color. While some of you have expressed that you like the new interface, I think this is one fugly window:

voiceover-utility07.jpg

And don't forget the nasty purple question mark, which always looked like an anachronism. This is three interface generations in one window. :(

altcomputing

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
They still have lots of work to do. One of the new features is Polish localization, which is at least incomplete. If you switch locale to Polish, you can see that not all text are translated, the Dictionary does no work, and the Help system is actually... English in this case. And even if the translation is existant, it is merely correct in some places, making us (Poles) laugh sometimes because of some silly language mistakes. There are tons of bugs left to correct.

I am afraid we will see a few more builds before it becomes RC and GM.

Sorry to dissapoint you.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
I think they'll call the next versions after planets:

11.0 Mercury
11.1 Venus
11.2 Earth
11.3 Mars
etc

That way they can even give each version a symbol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.