Leopard just around the corner!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iLoveMyMBP, Mar 22, 2007.

1. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

Since leopard is about to lauch what if anything should i do to my mac to ensure a easy and safe install??

2. GDB macrumors newbie

That's a looooooong corner you're looking at....

3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Um, nothing, except don't let it die?

Leopard is not Vista. It will not require 30GB RAM, a 4Ghz Core 4 Octa Processor, and 16 overclocked X2950XTXes in Crossfire mode. As long as your MBP still functions when Leopard is released, you will have no probs installing it.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

easier said than done....

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Not really just park your arse on a chair :p

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

But I wanna... DANCE!

:D

8. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Make sure your data is backed up and well backed up. Dont ever do an OS install or upgrade with out having one. Then just wait ever so patiently.

Kevin

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well he's looking at a very long corner and you seem to be looking a few years ahead at a version of windows that hasn't been released yet.

I never thought time travel was possible until now...

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it's the waiting that's the hard part.....not the sitting...

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Huh? I thought Vista had been released???

And do you mean to tell me that Vista does not require 30GB RAM, a 4Ghz Core 4 Octa Processor, and 16 overclocked X2950XTXes in Crossfire mode to run well?

Yes, I might be exaggerating a bit, but the concept that Leopard will not run well on a 2.33 GHz MBP is crazy. The concept that you would have to do anything to a MBP to get Leopard to run on it is insane. Of course Leopard will run on an MBP, and without any upgrades, software or anything else, except an install CD, and some electricity!

12. 2fives macrumors regular

Gotta admit I'm jazzed about Leopard. Haven't been jazzed about an OS since XP.

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

A bit? Talk about massively. Vista will run on older machines quite well.

You could have simply said that, yes Leopard will run on older systems without spreading false information about vista.

However on the other hand, at least i KNOW i could run Vista on a machine like that. The chances of you being able to run Mac OSX legitly on a machine like that? Close to none.

14. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I can't wait.... I'm building a time machine right now so I can go in the future and buy 10.5 so I can use time machine to go back in the future.

The Stig

15. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

Leopard

Wait patiently my friend. That corner is a long one indeed, but an exiting one, enter it, switch down a gear, and gently nudge down the accelerator, so that you are kind of drifting around it in your tiger powered MBP, whoah!!
    Finish in sight, Leopard waiting for you!

BTW, Leopard will run fine on a PPC G4 and G5 machine too, your macbook pro will be more than sufficient.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I hate to say it, but I agree. I have a sinking feeling that Leopard will probably only be released at WWDC '07 in June.

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

This feeling has appeared in me too :(

I guess if its not released at NAB, then it will be in June

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, if it were coming in April then they'd have declared it final by now. They still need to press CDs, you know!

19. Lord Nerdos macrumors member

But the real question is this... will it ship before or after the new Guns and Roses CD?;)

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

To be spreading false information, the information has to be at least slightly believable. Everybody knows that Vista has high hardware requirements. Aero won't run on even some of today's computers. Of course Vista will run on an old computer, but you won't get all the eye candy. Of course Leopard will run on my Cube, but I won't get all the eye candy (ripple effects on Dashboard, eg.). The point is that Leopard will almost certainly show all its eye candy on a much lower specced machine than Vista will.

And if you seriously think people on this forum really believe that Vista requires all the hardware that I said it will, I believe you are mistaken. I challenge you to find any member of this forum who truly did not take my comment as highly facetious, sarcastic and/or exaggerated.

21. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Will leopard be faster or slower on PPC (G5) compared to tiger?

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Definately faster. Each 10.x OS version runs faster then the version before it did.

And Apple is implementing some awesome new tech in 10.5 that speeds up thing greatly (Core Animation or Quartz 2D Extreme) :)

23. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

ARS just quoted inside Apple sources in an article yesterday that stated Leopard wouldn't ship until at least June. They say, in it's current form, even the source at Apple wouldn't buy it. It's not even beta form yet, so they say they're quite a long ways off.

24. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

Leopard

I love Tiger! Look forward to Leopard, but since that is still not available, I am going to be productive using Tiger, it was a good OS when it was released, it is even better today, and Leopard will bring us a new level of computing on a Mac, evolutionary, not revolutionary, that honor is reserved for OS XI , about 5 to 8 years from now.

25. Georgie macrumors member

This is an interesting question. I'm curious about the answer because I'm relatively new to Macs and am not familiar with the upgrade cycle. I bought an early MBP and I want to upgrade to Leopard when I comes out. What's the smart way to do that? I keep regular backups (SuperDuper and an external HD) so that's good start I know. I want to do a clean install too. Being new to Macs I got a little carried away and installed a lot of junk software. My system isn't particularly unstable, but I'd still like to start fresh.

So when I wipe the hard drive and start with a fresh install, is it safe to use the Migration Assistant I've heard about, or will it copy over my old programs and crusty config files and all that too. Or am I better off manually, tediously, copying over files from my home directory by hand. That would generally be okay assuming I can drag-and-drop my Aperture and iPhoto libraries. What about iCal and Address Book databases, and how about Mail settings. Those are the slightly tricky things that worry me. Like the original poster said, what can I do to ensure a smooth transition?