Leopard Now Shipping with New Macs, Drop Ins at Retail

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 26, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Perhaps its goes without saying, but Apple has updated their product pages (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini) indicating that Mac OS X Leopard is now shipping with new Macs. All desktop images on Apple.com now use the new Leopard desktop background. Curiously, the Mac Pro is the only product page that does not explicitly say that it is now shipping with Leopard, though we assume it does.

Meanwhile, customers who buy Macs directly from retail Apple Stores may receive a "Drop In" Leopard DVD with purchases of Macs until the old inventory turns-over. These Drop In DVDs will reportedly only upgrade an existing Mac OS X 10.4 install. You also don't get the pretty packaging of the Retail box.

[​IMG]

This shouldn't necessarily be the signal to buy a new Mac, however, as both the Mac Pro and the MacBook have been rumored to see updates as soon as November.

Intel has started ramping up production of the new Penryn processor at their first 45-nm fab. The Penryn processor will launch on November 12th and is expected to be used in the next revision of the Mac Pro, expected shortly.

Article Link

2. macrumors regular

Thats good - cause I have heard of people getting a new computer shipped, and now they have to wait for Leopard to ship as well - how lame would that be?

3. macrumors member

That would suck. I also hope they don't update their Macbook Pro's now, since I just bought one.

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm still holding out for a Mac Pro.

5. macrumors 65816

Quillz

RIP Mac OS X Tiger (2005-2007). You lived a good life and will be missed.

6. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'll be sticking around for me until at least 2008 sadly.

7. macrumors member

It's only a matter of time, but ...

From the product page:

Included Software: "Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger"

Edit: I see the message nearer to the top of the page now.

8. macrumors member

Macbook Updates

:apple:Let's hope we DO see those rumored macbook updates soon! And also, let's hope it's not just a minor bump!:apple:

9. macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Has anyone ever seen a Mac OS disk that only upgrades a prior version? Just seems unlikely since it would add a hassle factor. How would you do a clean install on a fresh disk if necessary without going through Tiger first?

10. macrumors 6502a

Jetson

I know they just refreshed the iMac line, but I'm waiting until the next improvement.

I've read too many reports of problems and poor build quality.

11. macrumors regular

adamzx3

I spoke to a customer service rep and she assured me that all mac pro's after the 26th would ship with leopard...though she wouldn't comment on the refresh launch date :)

12. macrumors regular

If it is possible it would be by restarting your computer, holding down 'c' to boot from the dvd, and then the Leopard install menu should come up where the option to erase and install is....

13. macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

I've just ordered a MBP last week. I'm happy to hear they are shipping with Leopard. I too would be quite miffed if they update the MBP before January. I need a new computer before the end of the year but couldnt wait until MacWorld. In fact, I've been waiting quite a long time and CANNOT WAIT :) :) :) for the baby to arrive. Yesterday I bought a 250Gb external drive in preparation for Time Machine. It says ship date is Nov 6 - 11th. My final exam at university is November 6th. I'd be STOKED if it arrived that day :D
    What a way to celebrate a great year!!!!

PS: To Blow my own Trumpet

14. macrumors regular

I ordered one of the original Mac Minis from MacMall shortly after Tiger came out. In addition to the 10.3 disks that came with the Mini, an upgrade DVD for 10.4 was also included. You could still choose any of the install formats, even erase and install, but a valid install 10.3 was required on the disk to erase and install. Not a big deal when you first get the disk, but it was a little annoying if I reformatted as I would need to install 10.3 first and then use the 10.4 disk to erase and install.

15. macrumors newbie

CrusaderKnight

iCal

I know this has nothing to do with this. But the iCal now updates to the new date when it turns 12:00AM in the morning

16. macrumors 603

HLdan

Also to add to that Tiger MUST be the current OS installed. If you have Panther those upgrade discs will not install.

17. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The box is so pretty I'm never going to open it. :)

I'll have to buy another copy.

18. macrumors 6502

19. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

20. Guest

Darkroom

the tungsten light cast in that image is making my eyes bleed...

21. macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Having a hard time believing or is that just me. ;)

22. macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I think that the default wallpaper in Leopard makes the Macs look cheap and nasty. The old Tiger blue wallpaper was far more sophisticated.

23. macrumors 6502

I wonder if the iMac ads on TV will reflect this change as well...

24. macrumors 65816

Quillz

Hmm... I completely disagree.

25. macrumors newbie

Waiting for macbook update

I was hoping that apple would update the macbooks with the launch of leopard. That way i would have been able to buy a new, updated macbook with leopard installed and get a free ipod nano, as part of the uk student offer. But the student offer is finishing on the 30th october :( so looks like im gonna miss out on the free ipod nano cos i aint gonna buy a macbook which is so close to the end of it's cycle. SO THIS NEXT MACBOOK UPDATE BETTER BE WORTH THE WAIT!