Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Greetings!

I am a new member of this community. Currently I own 2 macs: and iMac G4 and an ibook G4

I was wondering if it was possible to install Leopard on my iMac G4. Here are the specs:

-40 Gb Hard Drive
-700 Mhz PowerPC G4
-512 MB of RAM

Should I get Leopard or stick with Tiger?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Greetings!

I am a new member of this community. Currently I own 2 macs: and iMac G4 and an ibook G4

I was wondering if it was possible to install Leopard on my iMac G4. Here are the specs:

-40 Gb Hard Drive
-700 Mhz PowerPC G4
-512 MB of RAM

Owning the 800MHz model overclocked to 900MHz with 1GB of RAM and a last-gen 120GB HDD running Leopard, my answer is: Stick to Tiger.

The requirements for Leopard are 867MHz, hence you won't be able to pop an unmodded Leopard DVD into the drive and install it, anyways.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Greetings!

-40 Gb Hard Drive
-700 Mhz PowerPC G4
-512 MB of RAM

Welcome to Macrumors Forums:) Leopard should run good if you up the ram to 1GB+ I run leopard on a 400MHz Sawtooth and it does good. also this model is not officially supported so you will need to use LeopardAssist http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26562/leopardassist only problem that might happen is that the stock combo drive may not read the Leopard DVD, but your iBook (if it is a later model With a superdrive) may read the Leopard Disc, you can use it's DVD drive with FireWire target disc mode or use a Firewire DVD or (maybe) USB Drive or replace the internal optical drive in the iMac with a newer DVD drive:)

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Have same Imac...

Unless you add more ram,and replace with newer harddrive (which being a 700MHz is probably not worth it) even Tiger will struggle.

On a side note,if you plan on using Imac for Internet,,,of all the browsers (ive tryed them all) you might wanna consider using seamonkey (2.04 is last ver for ppc and tiger)

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.0.14

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have a two 800Mhz G4 iMacs. Both with 512MB of ram an running Leopard. I was pleasantly surprised with their speed. Some of the more intensive things like browsing the internet take a longer time, but it's still usable. Just as long as you remember the limitations of the machine.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Greetings!

-40 Gb Hard Drive
-700 Mhz PowerPC G4
-512 MB of RAM

Tiger is lighter operating system than Leopard and they both are unsupported by Apple so unless Leopard has features you need or software/devices you want to use requires Leopard then I would say stick with Tiger.

EDIT: Tenfourfox is available for both operating systems so you can get up-to-date browser with Tiger, same thing is with YouView which you can use to play YouTube -videos, Flash -performance will be horrible with 700Mhz G4 using the Flash plugin which again is no longer supported on PowerPC no matter which of the two operating systems you choose.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Owning the 800MHz model overclocked to 900MHz with 1GB of RAM and a last-gen 120GB HDD running Leopard, my answer is: Stick to Tiger.

The requirements for Leopard are 867MHz, hence you won't be able to pop an unmodded Leopard DVD into the drive and install it, anyways.

I spent some time looking this morning but didn't find anything useful....can you elaborate on how you did the overclocking?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I have a two 800Mhz G4 iMacs. Both with 512MB of ram an running Leopard. I was pleasantly surprised with their speed. Some of the more intensive things like browsing the internet take a longer time, but it's still usable. Just as long as you remember the limitations of the machine.

What advantages do you find running leopard over tiger on these machines?

What browser do you use? What browser do you find runs the fastest?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What advantages do you find running leopard over tiger on these machines?

What browser do you use? What browser do you find runs the fastest?

Screen sharing, better file share access, faster (it really is for me), newer technologies, newer version of iTunes. I use TFF for my PowerPC broswing. Haven't had any problems with it. I use Leopard mostly because it has CalDAV support and better AppleScript support in iChat. Both of which are a must for these machines in my work place. The backend UNIX things in Leopard are also much better an more up to date.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Screen sharing, better file share access, faster (it really is for me), newer technologies, newer version of iTunes. I use TFF for my PowerPC broswing. Haven't had any problems with it. I use Leopard mostly because it has CalDAV support and better AppleScript support in iChat. Both of which are a must for these machines in my work place. The backend UNIX things in Leopard are also much better an more up to date.

What do you use for screen sharing and how fast is it?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What do you use for screen sharing and how fast is it?

I use Apple Remote Desktop or Leopard's built in Screen Sharing feature over 100Mbit Ethernet. It works really well. Even on the few times I used it over Airport B's 11 Mbit speeds it was fast and responsive.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
OP, the best that you can do is try yourself. How many people that many opinions. I'm not quite happy with 10.5 on my 1.67 PB with 2GB RAM in comparison to 10.4. But to each his own. Whatever OS you'll choose, I'd recommend to give your iMac max RAM (1GB). Tiger and Leopard will work faster with 1GB than with 512MB.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the late response.

I was asking this because I have Microsoft Office 2008 running smoothly (I bought it from a yard sale, lucky!) and as far as I know, that app is kinda heavy but I use it with no issues, so I started wondering if it was possible.

Youtube works great, I mean no lag, which I was impressed. As a previous ibook G3 owner, I am very impress by the power of the G4. I use some heavy photoshop scripts on a 64 bit windows machine and it takes more time than on the G4 haha

I think I will stick with Tiger and get a 1GB RAM off ebay.

Thanks guys! This is a really cool community!

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the late response.

I was asking this because I have Microsoft Office 2008 running smoothly (I bought it from a yard sale, lucky!) and as far as I know, that app is kinda heavy but I use it with no issues, so I started wondering if it was possible.

Youtube works great, I mean no lag, which I was impressed. As a previous ibook G3 owner, I am very impress by the power of the G4. I use some heavy photoshop scripts on a 64 bit windows machine and it takes more time than on the G4 haha

I think I will stick with Tiger and get a 1GB RAM off ebay.

Thanks guys! This is a really cool community!

We know :cool: . Lol :p .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.