Leopard on CDs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gibidi, Dec 29, 2006.

1. gibidi macrumors newbie

Any clues yet as to whether Leopard will have the same "exchange-by-mail" system as Tiger for people who do not have DVD drives?

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Hmm... If they manage to put out BluRay/HD DVD drives in macs this MacWorld, I seriously doubt it. If not, I sure hope they do!

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't know, but honestly, how many people in this day and age still do not have DVD drives? Especially ones who will be installing Leopard on a machine for that matter! :confused:

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I for one don't have a DVD drive (Got that old first gen eMac), and am planning to get Leopard if my mac can handle it

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If Apple will not exchange the DVD for CDs like they did with Tiger, and you want to install Leopard, you could always purchase an external USB or FW CD/DVD drive, and install from there. At least I think you will be able to do this.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

So there are still a few of ya out there, huh? ;) Yeah, I guess you'll have to check the system requirements and see if Leopard will run on your system or not.

7. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

It looks lik the G3 macs are finally being dropped and also some G4 macs as well G4 1 GHZ and up are supported and all G5 macs as well as all intel macs. It also looks like a DVD drive is necessary and maybe they will allow the exchange to CD's but that is a wait and see.

8. gibidi thread starter macrumors newbie

I seriously hope they do have a CD exchange - I have a G4 iMac with CD burner and have no reason whatsoever to buy an external DVD drive except for installing the OS. I simply don't use DVDs.

My concern is that Apple will have the same opinion as you, but I assume that if (as most expect) Leopard's requirement is a G4 then they must remember that some G4s do not have DVD drives.

9. brandon6684 Guest

Well many machines in their officially supported range do not have DVD drives, so they may still offer the CD version.

10. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Yeah, I agree...CDs will *probably* be available.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Where does this keep coming from? Apple has not, as far as I know, released specs for the final retail Leopard. The specs for the developer release are not at all guaranteed to be the same as they are for the final retail. In fact, they generally are not. So why do people keep posting supposed "supported" lists? :rolleyes:

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, this is true - the initial G4 machines did not have DVD drives, so that's fair. That being said, perhaps Apple will make having a DVD drive a required spec, just as is the case with the iDVD app - you can't install it if a DVD drive isn't detected. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's ultimately up to Apple.

I would like to know the same thing. Could some of you people citing the supposed finalized Leopard system requirements please post some links to validate your claims? Otherwise it's all just conjecture so please do not try to pass it off as fact. :rolleyes: :cool:

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Je voudrais dire que tous les repondants qu'ont le dit sont les "n00bies". :eek:

But my French is too bad. :(