Leopard on G4 MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AlexMaximus, May 24, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Hi guys,

I have a G4 Dual MDD 1,42 and I run Tiger 10.4.11 on it.

It runs very stable and I am very satisfied with it. However I now think about to upgrade to Leopard.

To all G4 guys out there, - is there any bad experience with Leopard on the G4?

Does it run flawless, does it slow my machine down because of the Intel focus ??

Your opinion / experiences would be very much appreciated !!

2. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

I have Leopard on a dual-1GHz MDD G4 with 2GB and it runs okay. It is certainly not as fast as my 2GHz Core Duo MacBook nor my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo iMac, but neither is it glacially slow, either. I expect part of the slowness is due to the 80GB system HDD, which I expect is a 4200 or 5400RPM unit...

3. macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Leopard will be slightly slower on a G4. But since you have a dual 1.42 the speed difference will be negligible.

4. macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I have it running on a Quicksilver w/ a 1.6ghz upgrade card + 1.5GB of ram notta problemo :)

5. macrumors 6502a

shu82

Same here, but I have dual 500gb 7200rpm sata drives in mine. Runs like a champ and boots faster than my wife's brand new macbook.

Front Row is a little slower than with her macbook, but everything is very usable. I'll probably upgrade to a core image card pretty soon. After that I see a couple of productive years left until it becomes my home file server.