leopard or tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dukebound85, Jul 22, 2005.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I was wondering if I should skip tiger and wait for leopard? What do you think?

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I think you'll be waiting a long time for Leopard.....get Tiger ;) Which Mac do you have?

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I personally would get Tiger is a good new addition the the cat family and Leopard is a while away.

Besides you know you what to have them all ;)

4. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

you should go ahead and get tiger its going to be over a year before leapord is out it would be hard (for me at least) to wait that long

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...arrrggghhh...please, at least do a *bit* of research. Apple has just only announced what 10.5 will be named, and 10.4 is barely a few months old...please...I am sorry but get a grip...this "wait for leopard" business is just so ridiculous....I mean really, Apple have not even said what any of the features in 10.5 might possibly be, lket alone any release time frame - how could you even possibly ask if it is worth waiting....geez.....
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....oh yeah! (or should that be oh no!)

6. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I am thinking you should wait for Ligar which comes after Lion which comes after Leopard. :cool:

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

duffman, it is obvious that apple will release a new os 10.5 sometime so don't tell me to get a grip lol. I was just wondering if tiger is really worth it for I run jaguar now and its fine for my needs. I mean if its anything like the staus quo, 10.5 will come out within 1 year or 2, and assuming that each os is better than the previous, I can very well afford to wait rather than pay 130 bucks. Thanks for the help though

8. Refujeet macrumors newbie

That's...awesome! That's...INCREDIBLE!

9. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

wait for it. tiger doesn't really have anything that is so useful. i organize my files anyway, so i don't really use spotlight, and google can take care of any dashboard issue in just as much time. you just don't get the shiny ui, but i don't think that is worth $129. just download konfabulator and quicksilver and see how much you use them before wasting your money.

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Haven't you just answered your own question, what was the point of posting here? Or would you like us to compare Tiger to an OS that isn't out yet and we have no information about other than a name? If your question was is it worth upgrading to Tiger from Jaguar I'd say "Yes of course, unless of course Jaguar does everything you want.".

/me sets mode +dukebound85 and will not upgrade until there is a OS X Hello Kitty!

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You're still running Jaguar I see...

I reckon you'd probably benefit from an upgrade to Panther 10.3.9 by picking up a copy on eBay or something - the increase in speed and functionality is worth whatever you pay (I visited a mate who is still using Jaguar on his old 600MHz iMac G3 and not having exposé was like trying to drive with the handbrake on)

So go to 10.3.9 somehow and then see how you feel.

12. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Actually Apple has. It is coming end of 2006 or beginning of 2007. That's what Steve said at least.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Get ready for the "he promised me a 3.0GHz G5 last year" comments...

Steve's word just ain't that cool anymore. :(

14. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

.......and here it comes :p that was an ibm fault and not directly apples fault. Seeing the os is made by apple is should be pretty accurate. Besides its meant to be the longhorn basher and tiger was the mocking :D

On topic if you are running jaguar, upgrade as i do believe having the latest os more appealing, up to date and speeder.

Quote me on this as im not 100% sure but not all the software is going to be compatible with jaguar.

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This time he actually controls it though. I don't think Steve is ever going to be wrong that badly again. I think that was part of the switch, Steve probably was mad for a year when they didn't have the 3GHz.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

dukebound85, I think you'd probably appreciate an upgrade to Tiger but just out of interest, which Mac(s) do you have?

17. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I'm staying with Panther, on the fact that, (1) I'm happy with it, and (2) I don't think that I would use Spotlight that much, as I am organised, neither dashboard, as most of the ones I would use require the internet, and (3) I don't really have the money.

Personally I'm waiting for Leopard, as then the step up will seem soo much better.

::20ROGERSC::

18. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

dukebound85, I think you'd probably appreciate an upgrade to Tiger but just out of interest, which Mac(s) do you have?

i have an emac 1 ghz 512 ram 80 gig hd

19. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

do a search, soooooooo many threads on 'is it worth it' 'do i upgrade now' blah blah blah

20. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Go with Tiger.

I wasn't that "wowed" by Panther but Tiger is fantastic. I can't praise it enough.

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Upgrade if the apps you need require Tiger. Tiger has some nice features and I think it was worth every penny.

22. dav macrumors 6502

The ONLY reason I upgraded is that the apps I use do not have up-to-date versions that work with panther

I don't care about spotlight/dashboard/automator/whathaveyou