Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edrifkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Hi,

After upgrading to Leopard I have problem printing the entire document. This happens when I print pdf documents from pdf reader like Skim and Preview or html files from Firefox and Safari. I haven't tried printing from other applications. Basically what happens is the last page will not print. It will print the following error message instead:

ERROR: timeout
OFFENDING COMMAND: timeout

STACK:

-mark-
/sfnts

This happens both when I print duplex or not, and the printer I am using is HP4300. I tried deleting the printer and reinstall it again, but no help.

any ideas??

musicman4444

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Similar problem

Hello,

Having a similar problem printing with Leopard. After I print something an extra page with the following message prints:

ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND: D

STACK:

Can anyone explain this and how I might be able to correct the error?

Thanks,

musicman4444

Lawrence Kushne

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Idential problem as MusicMan4444

Hello,SI

Having a similar problem printing with Leopard. After I print something an extra page with the following message prints:

STACK:

Can anyone explain this and how I might be able to correct the error?

Thanks,

musicman4444

I'm also running Leopard. (Just switched from a PC.) Whenever I print through a Linksys wireless printserver I get exactly the same nettlesome response as Musicman4444. Linksys thinks it may be due to disabling "bi-directional printing." But I don't have the problem when printing directly from my Mac to the HPlaserjet 1320 via a USB cable.

pslambe

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Sydney
Leopard Printing Error

After upgrading to Leopard I have problem printing with the printer adding the error message on a trailing page, which wastes paper!

OFFENDING COMMAND:

STACK:

The printer prints pages fine except for this extra page.
iMac 24in Lexmark Optra S 1650 with the latest printer driver from Lexmark installed.

any ideas??

bigchiz

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
I'm also running Leopard. ... Whenever I print through a Linksys wireless printserver I get exactly the same nettlesome response as Musicman4444. Linksys thinks it may be due to disabling "bi-directional printing." But I don't have the problem when printing directly from my Mac to the HPlaserjet 1320 via a USB cable.

Same here, using OS X 10.5.2, HP LaserJet 1320, AppleTalk to a USB 3COM Office Connect Wireless 54Mbps 11g Print Server [MODEL 3CRWPS10075], and HPs printer driver 4.3.1.094 (installed by a driver downloaded today from HP, 7.8.0.761 (28 Jan 2008)).

HP LJ 1320 driver page for OS X 10.5

Code:
Error: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:  D
STACK:

Assuming the error is coming from the printer, anyone know of a way to have the printer ignore the error and not print it?

bigchiz

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
In the mean time, I watched Will It Blend, then went to HPs support pages, then to 3Com support pages, and came up with an idea for a workaround that works.

Workaround: Switch from AppleTalk printing to IPP.

As stated earlier, I'm using the 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps 11G Print Server. This server will also support Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).
1. On the print server hardware, use a straightened paper clip to press and hold the DIAG button for two seconds. A diagnostic sheet is printed, including the IP address (10.0.1.3 in my case).
2. In System Preferences > Print & Fax > + > IP, select Internet Printing Protocol from the protocol menu. In the Address field enter the IP address from the diagnostic sheet. Enter a name and location, and select the printer model from the Print Using pop-menu (this was fickle for me, took a couple attempts).
3. Select Add.
Run test prints, and no more error page!

Caveat: The wireless print server will need to have the same IP after a power outage, which could be an issue if using DHCP. (I'm using DHCP from the old graphite AirPort BaseStation to a cable modem to use many computers). After a power outage I have to shutdown everything and turn on in this order:
1. cable modem
2. AirPort Base Station (DHCP server, which becomes 10.0.1.2)
3. USB print server (gets 10.0.1.3), then the printer
4. computers (which are configured to look for a printer at 10.0.1.3)

pslambe

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Sydney
After upgrading to Leopard I have problem printing with the printer adding the error message on a trailing page, which wastes paper!

OFFENDING COMMAND:

STACK:

The printer prints pages fine except for this extra page.
iMac 24in Lexmark Optra S 1650 with the latest printer driver from Lexmark installed.

any ideas??
I fixed this. The problem is somewhere in Appletalk. I disabled Appletalk in the printer itself and reinstalled the Printer in Preferences/Printer and Fax as an IPP printer after checking the IP address in the printer.

harijay

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Still getting ERROR: undefined STACK

I have installed the newest printer drivers from HP for the LaserJet 4600 (v3010.107) , also disabled Appletalk on the printer and installed the printer as an IPP pirnter.
I still get the error when I print duplex . This is still not fixed.

harijay

techie91

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
My school recently had this problem. We upgraded all our computers to Leopard and were getting this feedback from the printer. I fixed it a few days ago by re-installing the printer as an IPP instead of AppleTalk, made sure the driver was specified and not on the General/Generic option, and then cold reset the printer and so far it has worked fine. Hope this helps all of you. Oh, and I was using an HP LaserJet 4100N that was on the network.

bensonk

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Worked for me

Configuring my Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS as an IPP printer eliminated the extra page being printed each time. THANKS!!

avcr8teur

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Printing error on OSx 10.5.6 to HP Laserjet 4 Plus

I need help with the same problem, but my friend's imac is not on a network and instead connected via a USB-to-parallel printer cable.

When printing from the imac running OSx 10.5.6 onto an HP Laserjet 4 Plus, the printout comes out fine, but an extra sheet prints the message...

displays Error: timeout
Offending command: timeout
Stack:

After this point, she will not be able to print a second job unless she reboots the printer and imac. Uploading the latest Laserjet 4 Plus drivers for the MAC doesn't help.

On a second note, she also has VMware 2.02 installed and running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2. From the PC side, the printer does not print at all.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dan B

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
I know how everyone feels

I solved the problem by going onto my printer options and turning off "Manual Timeout" and "wait timeout"

By turning them both off so for we have had no timeout pages or problems with printing.

hope it helps

Dan B

KAHB

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
I'm using an hp laserjet 4MV with a parallel to USB adapter on snow leopard. I get an extra page after each printing:

STACK:

Dan B said:

“I solved the problem by going onto my printer options and turning off "Manual Timeout" and "wait timeout"
By turning them both off so for we have had no timeout pages or problems with printing.”

PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU DID THIS!!

luisdiaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
I was getting this error printed on an extra page each time I printed something from Leopard and Lion, to an HP Color Laserjet 3700 through a Linksys WPS54GU2 Wireless Print Server and shared to the network from a Mac G5 with Leopard OS installed:

"ERROR: undefined
STACK: "

I solved it changing the communication protocol from "Binary" to "Ascii" on the Apple Talk tab (USB Port) of the Linksys print server control panel.

LD

aztorres

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2014
Oki mb471w

I'm using an hp laserjet 4MV with a parallel to USB adapter on snow leopard. I get an extra page after each printing:

STACK:

Dan B said:

“I solved the problem by going onto my printer options and turning off "Manual Timeout" and "wait timeout"
By turning them both off so for we have had no timeout pages or problems with printing.”

PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU DID THIS!!

I was Trying to navigate the Printer setting I could not figure out how you were able to turn those options off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.