Leopard question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macnewbie001, Mar 14, 2007.

1. macnewbie001 macrumors member

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Most of us reckon it'll cost the same as it did last time - A$199 (A$129 edu) but that could change depending on how Apple go about integrating programs etc. They could include iLife 07 and up the price - it's really up to them.

I still think A$199 is going to be it.

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Note that Amazon typically offers OS X for under US$100 (even newly released versions and pre-orders). And students/faculty/staff can get Apple's education pricing, typically US$69. (And then there are the family 5-packs for $199.)

I expect iLife 07 will remain a separate product--it may require Leopard, or maybe only certain features will take advantage of Leopard. I don't think people who just want Leopard will be forced to pay more and get iLife bundled though, and I don't think iLife 06 will fail under Leopard (though it may need an update).

All guesses for now :)

5. neyoung macrumors member

I really wouldnt mind paying a bit for for leopard if iLife 07 was included with it. I'll probably upgrade to both anyways. I imagine that if they are integrated then there might be a slight discount which would be nice :)

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Hopefully its around the same as its been, $129 for single user and $200 for up to 5 users

7. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I have actually heard that it will be going for $150!! Not bad compared to the $400 Vista counterpart.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

True but no one likes a price raise...

9. kermit4161 macrumors regular

Has anyone heard what the system requirements will be for Leopard? I'm still running my Pismo 400. I'm trying to save money to upgrade to a new iMac, but don't know how soon it'll be before I can get one.

I know I won't be able to run iLife 07 (can't run 06 without a G4 processor)... but Tiger is running great...

I was told by a co-worker that it won't run on older processors (but I don't trust his source of info).

Thanks!

10. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I definitely know that you wont be able to run leopard on your pismo. 100% sure! Most expect the cutoff to be in the highest end G3s probably the ones with 32mb of vram. Sorry... I guess pismos will get cheap now. Tiger will be fine for the next 2 or 3 years. So by 2010 you will have a 9 year old computer that will be obsolete. Not too bad

11. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I know it is contractually wrong to install one version of Leopard on two different macs. My question is, the serial numbers that come with the macs, are they tied to OS X, or are they tied to the mac? Meaning if I put Leopard on my imac, will the imac's serial number change?

12. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Yes it is wrong, no nothing will change, nothing will happen to you. I am just going to buy a family pack this round, just to make me feel good about this new upgrade. It is worth every dime. That way my grandmother, mother, a mac friend and myself will get an upgrade for like 50 each!

13. howard macrumors 68020

howard

since xp vista is the only upgrade... if you add up all the os x ones its a bit more than $400... not that I'm complaining, I like the more frequent updates and I love os x... but just an observation

14. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

AFAIK, there isn't a serial number that comes with OS X. You buy it, you install it, it never asks for anything...am I wrong about this?

The serial number of your computer is tied to the computer itself, not the specific OS license.