Leopard Release, MS Office, Obsolete Machine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eckels, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Eckels macrumors newbie

Hi folks. I've decided to buy a Mac, but I've got a few concerns as to when exactly I'll make my purchase.

I've decided on the iMac 17", with the 1Gb of RAM, without any upgrades. It's pretty much breaking the bank on me in the first place, so I can't really afford to have an outdated machine in a year. I know that the current line of iMacs have been around for a few years, and have considered the possibility that they're going to re-design the machine in the coming year. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

Also, I've seen leopard and I am impressed. Is leopard slated for release soon? as in the next month or so? or is it still being worked on? I'd like to buy a machine with leopard loaded on it, but If it's a ways off I'll go with what's available now. I just don't want to have to cough up even more $ for an update only a few weeks after I buy a new machine.

I was in an apple store yesterday, and all the iMac machines on display were loaded with Microsoft Word and Excel. Since the store had about 300 customers at any given time and only about 10 associates, I didn't have the time to wait to talk to an associate. I want to know if those programs come loaded on the machine out-of-the-box?

Finally, are there any seasonal deals, or special bargains that I should look out or wait for that may be coming up? (other than refurbs).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My guess is that I expect the form factor to remain essentially the same through to early-mid 2008.

Expect it in the 1st or 2nd quarter next year. We may hear more about release dates from MWSF on the 9th of Jan.

No. Although there are freeware alternatives. TextEdit which comes with the Mac is OK for light word-processing and can open and save to .doc formats. I don't think most PCs come bundled with a full version of Office either.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) The overall form factor of the iMac may be update some time in the near future, but it's not so widely expected because it's been upgraded quite a lot on the inside recently. (e.g. core duo and then more recently core 2 duo)

2) Most of us expect Leopard to become available the middle of next year -- at best, some people expect a firm release date at MacWorld the first week of January.

3) A demo of Office is included but the actual full version is not. The demo lasts for ~30 days. You can buy Office in many places, though, and it's worth it. The two major alternatives are iWork (from Apple, an update is expected in January -- right now it has no spreadsheet software, but this is expected possibly in January) and NeoOffice / OpenOffice (free, open source).

If you can wait, you want to wait until the end of the first week in January. If something is coming right now, it will be announced at the keynote speech for MacWorld San Francisco at that time, by Steve Jobs.

There aren't that many seasonal deals. There is traditionally one in the mid-to-late summer for students (typically, get a free iPod when you buy a Mac). Aside from that and occasional sales (Black Friday, etc), there isn't too much in the United States, at least.

Does any of that help?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would look for a new imac around march,Macs dont come with windows stuff preinstalled from Apple. Interesting this store is running a bunch of windows stuff. Oh and leopard should show before March maybe in a few weeks.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I vote for neooffice, and if you like microsoft office, get the UB Office 2007 when it comes out later in 2007 (it will run much faster).

6. Queso macrumors G4

If you are considering the current iMac, wait until MacWorld in January. Although I don't expect it to get an update, if it does the existing model will start being sold off cheaper by resellers, so you'll be able to purchase more RAM. Memory really is the most important thing you can add to your Mac. An extra GigaByte is worth investing in even if you are strapped for cash.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Microsoft=Company
    Windows=product

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Also, the golden rule is more or less: buy the machine when you need it. The waiting game can never be won.

Besides, no machine made this year is going to be obsolete the next. We hear too much of this sometimes...

<typing on a 4 & 1/2 year old Mac still used for work and play>

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

I'd buy a Mac if they made Microsoft Office for Apples. :eek: ;) :D

10. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I would be very surprised to see a redesign any time soon (within the next 8 months at least - probably not till 2008). Apple will want to soak off as many sales and upgrades of Apple with their existing lineup as possible.

That is a 30 day demo version.

However it is very easy to qualify for the Student/Teacher version (identical to the standard Mac Office except you can't upgade it). You get three licences (handy as I have 3 Macs now) and it works just fine.

11. mccldwll macrumors 65816

My personal uninformed opinion/hunch is that introduction of iTV and new cinema displays with iSight will accompany a redesigned iMac, and possibly even merging the iMac/mac mini lines (have the computer plug into display stand). Only the eMac would remain w/ existing form factor.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Also consider a refurb and use the extra money for iWork and/or AppleCare. Though you can get AppleCare any time within the first year. Student and teacher or gov discounts are great too if you qualify. Wait until after MacWorld though so you can get the iLife update included. If you buy now, it'll come with iLife '06 and it'll be like ~$80 for the update.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

wha??? Microsoft Office has been pre-installed on Macs for some time. Are you really unaware that Microsoft has been seliing Office for Mac for years and years now??? As pointed out, the pre-installed is a demo that only works for 30 days before it stops working, unless you buy a key that is

14. Eckels thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the benefits or possible consequences of buying a mac from either an apple store or a re-seller?

Will either one give me a better:
    Price?
    Warranty?
    Software bundle?
    Bonus such as free hardware or upgrades?
    Anything else?

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

An Apple store always sells at RRP. With resellers you might get better luck!