Leopard released sooner than thought?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Silver-Fox, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

hi

i just recieved this email from cnet, about Apple TV and leopard, this is what they say about leopard

"Also in the news is the impending launch of Mac OS X, Leopard. Financial analysts have already raised fiscal 2007 estimates for Apple, saying they expect the "big cat" OS to launch in the next few weeks. I don't know if you share my enthusiasm, but I can't wait to explore the new features. If you want to wait before you take the leap, don't worry--I'll be sure to give you the full rundown once I get my hands on Apple's latest OS."

now this seems quite soon to me, just wondered what the rest of you guys thought? :D

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

No Prediction Here

I think end April or even as late as June. May most likely.

4. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

5. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

it would be awesome if it was the next few weeks

6. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I doubt that they'll push it that far back, I think they want Leopard out before the iPhone launch so that they don't push too many products into the pipeline at once. The release of Leopard will probably coincide with a slew of new Macs and Apple would probably like to get a good solid month of sales before hitting their best customers up for another $500 to $600 for the iPhone.

Plus there are going to be features in Leopard that will make the iPhone more appealing (most likely, some kind of .mac integration, possibly, linkage to iLife and iWorks apps, and I hope, some kind of voice-to-text application.) They'll want Leopard in the marketplace for a few weeks so that users will understand these features better.

So I'll predict April 24th for Leopard and June 5 for the iPhone.

7. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I'd be so excited to go pick up Leopard when it comes out.. spaces looks like a great feature :D

I hope you're right and it comes out in the next few weeks.

8. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

there is already an app out like spaces, vituredesktops, if you have a macbook or a macbook pro you can use it sensitive features to move through desktops very cool.

9. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Sorry, but this is the same stuff we've been hearing for weeks regurgitated once again.

10. bemckenna macrumors newbie

The Biggest Hint to Leopards Imminent Release

Did everyone here upgrade to 10.4.9 today? Isn't it reasonable to assume we'll have 10.5 in under four weeks from the release of 10.4.9?

11. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Honestly it would be nice just to have an event where they announce when leopard will be released, it's secret features, a possible new ui and how much it costs...I wanna know more about what it will be like more than I care about having it at this point.

But as previously stated, this has been said a billion times within the past 6 months...I'm saying maybe end of March we find out about it's release date and/or the secret features and then mid/late april we have leopard and new mac pros. In May I think we will have updated mac minis, and imacs and june there will be new macbooks and macbook pros

and p.s. i doubt four weeks is reasonable for 10.5 to be released after 10.4.9 as much as I don't like it there are still a lot more kinks to workout with leopard that all of the developers are claiming. so unless apple is paying off a lot of developers to lie and the leopard osx dvd's are in the stores already...we still have a month to go possibly 2 or 3

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would love for it to be released in a few weeks. i doubt it will, but maybe the announced date?

13. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I've tried virtue desktop but a couple of things I don't like about it. Firstly it seems 4 is the max number of desktops, I'd like to have at least 6. Secondly when I have firefox open in desktop a, but click on the firefox icon in desktop b, it automatically switches me to desktop b. This is annoying especially if I want to open a new window in desktop a.

I'm not sure how spaces will handle it, but I have a feeling the Apple implementation would be better (if not more customizable at least).

14. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

im sure apple will find a better version but its virtue is fine for me at the moment

15. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Nope. One has nothing to do with the other.

Regarding the topic of this thread, let me just say that I love it when financial analysts try to pretend they can predict technology. :p :rolleyes:

16. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I'm leading to believe WWDC07 for the launch, 1000s of dvd's don't get burnt and delivered over night... but there is one thing that made me go... hmmm. In the apple developers award page it says something like "vote for your favorite leopard app that best uses the features in leopard..." Well how does that work? would other Devs have access to the other devs apps. :confused:

i still think june though.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Like Time Machine that uses CoreAnimation or other parts of the OS that use Leopard only features...

18. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm hoping at latest end of April because I'm waiting to upgrade my hardware. Usually any updates to hardware happen not long after the release of the new OS.

I also hope they incorporate a Parallels type facility where you can access your Bootcamp partition via a VM.

19. Morris macrumors regular

No, I'm with bankshot. If Apple had Leopard ready around 10.4.5 they would have released around 10.4.5. If they suddenly hit some trouble with Leopard that takes six months to fix we might see 10.4.11. There is just no telling based solely on the version numbers of the previous OS.

Hell, judging from the trend you might expect a 10.4.10. If it will come it'll be just before or after Leopard release, whenever that may be. My guess would be June.

[​IMG]

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

"Few" = nebulous. It's much like the claim that NAND flash "could soon become a nearly free commodity"... Err, "nearly free"... Right! :rolleyes:

The last week in March is a "few weeks" away, as is any date in April, May or June, etc... :p