Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
true.. if they have to know the ip-adress, I'm sticking with logmein.com - but if it's in iChat that'll be killer! :)

What's the big deal? There's several great widgets that tell the user their WAN and LAN IP's so that's a piece of cake.:D

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
What's the big deal? There's several great widgets that tell the user their WAN and LAN IP's so that's a piece of cake.:D

yeah, but if the friend you're helping out takes his macbook to the local internet-café to connect to the internet, taking control of his macbook can be hard. iChat would probably have helped there..

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Positive. I've used RDC, ARD and VNC a lot. With Windows Remote Desktop Client, the screen you're controlling goes blank and you basically log in from the computer you're controlling from. You get their screen so it's not exactly sharing a "video" of the screen.

With VNC and ARD you can lock out the screen if you want, otherwise, while you're controlling the other computer, their cursor moves right along with your moves. You can also share control, so the user that you're helping out can take over if they need to. This way, if you are indeed helping out another user, they can see what's going on.

I stand corrected then. I've only been able to get it going where I connect, the Windows user gets logged off, then I log in with their account.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Positive. I've used RDC, ARD and VNC a lot. With Windows Remote Desktop Client, the screen you're controlling goes blank and you basically log in from the computer you're controlling from. You get their screen so it's not exactly sharing a "video" of the screen.

With VNC and ARD you can lock out the screen if you want, otherwise, while you're controlling the other computer, their cursor moves right along with your moves. You can also share control, so the user that you're helping out can take over if they need to. This way, if you are indeed helping out another user, they can see what's going on.

There sure seems to be some confusion between the differance of windows Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance of which both are in windows XP.

Remote desktop allows one to share files and Remote Assistance allows one to take complete control of the others PC over a LAN or WAN. I have used this many times.

Those that state you can't do this are simply wrong and have no idea what their talking about!

I look forward to this ferature coming to Leopard as many of my relatives are now switching to a mac and asking me for some help. Currently I use for the Mac desktop transporter and if the distant user is behind a firewall they need to use lighthouse. Along with that we use skype for discussions.

It's not as smooth as remote assistance but it does a pretty good job just the same.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I'm not sure why the article said it was added to 10.4.10. The Apple Remote Desktop client has always been in Tiger and Panther. I've been using it on my in-law's Mac running 10.3.9 for a long time.

newmacuser13

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
I would have hoped they'd kept this feature in iChat as you wouldn't have to set up anything.

http://www.logmein.com

I agree. This is THE reason I want Leopard - the ability to EASILY help out the parents on the iMac I convinced them to buy. Putting it in iChat was a good idea - just start up an iChat and then push a button to share screen control. Ease of invoking sharing/control is crucial. Running it through iChat would have even allowed you to see if the "students" were "getting it" by seeing the face of the person you are helping out as you helped them.

I've used remote assistannt in Win XP to help them before iMac days, and found that it was cumbersome to walk them through the setup or request for assistance each time. I was hoping that this Leopard feature was going to be Apple version of remote assistant, but with a healthy dose of Apple's superior ease of use reputation.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
This clears up what we've been debating. From Microsoft's site:

Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop, included with Windows XP Professional, enables you to connect to your computer across the Internet from virtually any computer, Pocket PC, or Smartphone. Once connected, Remote Desktop gives you mouse and keyboard control over your computer while showing you everything that's happening on the screen. With Remote Desktop, you can leave your computer at the office without losing access to your files, applications, and e-mail. Your sales force will be able to access the latest pricing sheet from on the road by using Remote Desktop in Windows XP Professional.

a few steps down...
The Remote Desktop window opens, and you see the desktop settings, files, and programs that are on your host computer, which in this example is your work computer. Your host computer remains locked, and nobody can access it without a password. In addition, no one will be able to see the work you are doing remotely.

Remote Assistance
Remote Assistance is a technology in Windows XP which enables Windows XP users to help each other over the Internet. With this tool, one user, called the "Expert," can view the desktop of another user, the "Novice." With the Novice's permission, the Expert can even share control of the Novice's computer to resolve issues remotely.

ARD and VNC are more like Remote Assistance.

newmacuser13

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006

Perhaps, but the key to this "Parental Assistance program" is ease of use - not run widgets, copy ip addresses, etc, but push a button and have the teacher-child help the student-parent.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Just create another port for it in the Sharing prefs and add it to your router's port forwarding list. Then access it through "Yo.ur.I.P:newport#" (your real IP address and port number, of course.)

I think that should work. Can anyone confirm this?

That's pretty much a common trick with NAT'd firewalls. Say you have four computers, you can SSH into any of them if you teach sshd to listen on a custom port number. Same with VNC, each machine must listen on it's own port number

defeated

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
so, its pretty much like windows remote assistance? well i never used these sort of stuff anyway. its good apple putting it in 10.5, but osx users did't have it for years. nobody felt the need anyway. i know i have no chance using it for sure.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
That's pretty much a common trick with NAT'd firewalls. Say you have four computers, you can SSH into any of them if you teach sshd to listen on a custom port number. Same with VNC, each machine must listen on it's own port number
The hosts can all listen on the same port number, as long as the router is configured to map different internet/WAN ports onto the correct LAN IP/port combinations.

My Linksys WRT54G router allows this. I assume many others can do this as well.

rlreif

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
Vancouver
Perhaps, but the key to this "Parental Assistance program" is ease of use - not run widgets, copy ip addresses, etc, but push a button and have the teacher-child help the student-parent.

Amen to that....

i have been using remote desktop to control my mini (used as an itunes jukebox) with my laptop on my LAN for years, and have often thought about how cool it would be to help my mom on the other side of the country... but if she cant figure out how to unmount her camera for the 50th time, expecting her to report to me her ip address....well ... not going to happen

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Does that mean that Macs with Leopard will be banned from any government machines? They do not allow anything, and recently even ordered everyone to disable iTunes sharing, so any possibility of "P2P remote controlling will be a major no-no.

I find it hard to believe that Gov allows you to have iTunes, LOL.

More than likely the firewall will block this service so it is available in the internal network for the Admin to control your Mac and to iinstall stuff on your machine.

Real security freaks would remove most of these client type apps and remove several of the server deamons to the bare bone required to operate as needed by the goverment or particular company. Obviously this assume that the machines are theirs and not your personnal machine. Oh and your account would not be Admin either.

As to personnal machines ..... In a security freak environment, they are not allowed to be brought in and not allowed to connect to the network.

If you only knew what I recommend, LOL, it would blow your mind as to all the stuff I would recomment to remove and all the stuff I would recomment to turn off. I would recommend a image disk with all the stuff removed be created and use to image all the machines. I would also run jobs in the middle of the night to ensure that none of the software has been changed and that no app has been installed. If you were to find a way to install something, next morning the security team would be excorting you out the door.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Positive if it is secured.

However, I like the .mac connection and the iChat solution so that the user at the machine being controlled does not need to be technical. and does not need to change the router every time a different macine needs to be controlled.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
If you only knew what I recommend, LOL, it would blow your mind as to all the stuff I would recomment to remove and all the stuff I would recomment to turn off. I would recommend a image disk with all the stuff removed be created and use to image all the machines. I would also run jobs in the middle of the night to ensure that none of the software has been changed and that no app has been installed. If you were to find a way to install something, next morning the security team would be excorting you out the door.

Combined with your sig this is hilarious. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm not sure why the article said it was added to 10.4.10. The Apple Remote Desktop client has always been in Tiger and Panther. I've been using it on my in-law's Mac running 10.3.9 for a long time.

I'm confused about some terminology here...

Normally in the RDC / ARD terminology, the server is the computer that is running the task and the client is the computer that is providing the display.

So, when you connect to a Windows Terminal Server, for instance, and run remotely, you are the client and the TS is the server, logically.

In the same way, when your IT person takes over your desktop so they can run your computer, you are the server and they are the client.

For the functionality that ARD provides, OS X has always (or at least since Panther and possibly before) provided the server in the standard installation (which lets you share your computer, not the client (which lets you access a shared computer remotely). The client (Apple Remote Desktop Client) has never been free, although you can use any VNC program like Chicken of the VNC to gain access.

My understanding is that 10.4.10 added not the client to the technology in Leopard, but the server, and that the post #1 of this thread misstates this. Can anyone back me up or correct me? :eek:

ivnds

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Sorry for going out of the subject, but is the menubar no longer semi-transparent? in this picture it looks like it isn't.

applescreensharing6wa1.png

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I am going to join the side that says this is great if put together with iChat, so so feature if it is not. Local LAN scope is not going to help to people who need to help people remotely. In this I tip my hat to Microsoft and their remote assistance, it works great and it is very simple to get it running. I had great hopes that Apple was going to do the same with the iChat/screen sharing feature. Now it seems they are only willing to release a half baked feature for Local LAN. Apple is in bad need of an easy to use remote help tool that doesn't cost $300 they would sell quite a few more computers when people can help friends or family remotely in an easy way.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Good news here! I've been running VNC and Vine Server at home and it's not terribly stable. I'll be super psyched if I can go in and fast user switch without getting knocked off the air.

I'm also glad this is in Finder, not iChat.

I think it is, and you're just seeing a (relatively solid) grey background behind it, netting a dark grey menubar. ;)
Looks like my Leopard will need a solid grey/white desktop...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Looks like my Leopard will need a solid grey/white desktop...

I think, if you want an opaque menubar, all you have to do is edit a white bar across the top of your background image. You might even be able to get the rounded edges back, almost, if you make them black (they'll be grey, natch, but closer than nothing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.