Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are the screenshots real or fake?

• Real

Votes: 119 26.1%
  • Fake

Votes: 337 73.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
what i think: very fake
what else i think: if that's what the new finder looks like, i'll be satisfied with it for the first time...

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
stuartluff said:
For me they are definately fake because the 'peephole switching' effect is very lame and too complicated to be from Apple.

Apples graphical style is simple and concise. The peephole effect is too much eyecandy for very little reward. ;)

Also the RAM is wrong!

I guess you haven't used Keynote 3? Peephole is one of the slide transitions...

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I don't think the IE7 window shadow shows a fake at all. I just moved around some windows on my system and it looked just like that on my screen.

Other than that, I'm just excited because we haven't had anything "spy" related to sink our fangs into for years it seems. I don't care if it is fake.... this is like the old days again!!!!

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
m-dogg said:
Would any Linux users mind explaining the benefit of multiple desktops? While it sounds interesting, I don't see what value it adds.

==What is Multiple Desktops== (just in case there is confusion)
If you have two physical monitors hooked up to one computer that allows desktop spanning (i.e. PowerBooks, PowerMacs, MacBooks, Intel iMacs), you can have two "desktops"(well, it's really one expanded desktop, but you know what I mean). You can drag other windows onto that other desktop, and see them both simultaneously.

Now, take away that second monitor, but still leave the capability to have two desktops. You can't see the second desktop at the same time as the first desktop, but you can "toggle" between the two using a key combination or perhaps a menu item. Your second desktop then appears with all of your windows arranged just as you left it. This concept can be expanded to third and fourth desktops, and does not apply just to the window state, but to icons that are on the screen.

==Why is it good==
So, some people may say that this is pointless unless you have a second (or third, or fourth) screen. However, lets say you were a very busy user (say a webmaster/guru), and you had a bunch of apps open. Take these few:

-Dreamweaver
-Photoshop/Fireworks/Flash/whatever
-Safari
-Firefox
-IE

Now, you can't possibly see everything at once on one monitor. Expose is helpful in that you can quickly switch between seeing multiple applications, but even it is limited in that you may just want to see your productivity applications (Dreamweaver and Photoshop) at a time, and then switch to see your preview applications (the browsers). So, you could have your browser windows open in another desktop, and you could have Dreamweaver and Photoshop windows open on your primary desktop to work on your stuff.

Then, when you want to preview your changes in the browsers, you just switch to the other desktop by CTRL-ALT-TAB (or something like that), and wallah, they are all set for you just as you left them the last time you previewed (you don't have to minimize Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and then maximize the browsers each time you want to preview).

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Some good ideas, although I'm not sure how I feel about Windows Apps running alongside OSX Apps ....

These pictures really add a lot of detail, and make it seem like it was something very well thought out. Personally I think the Apple is going to change in the "About this Mac" window -- that one has been there for a while and is out of place for even 10.4.

With all the other discrepencies, they lend it to be fake... especially how 10.5 does not have a build number at all.

As for Jan 14, I think the hoaxer wants us to believe this is the release date for it :)

I still havent made up my mind for real or fake... it's very well fabricated if it is fake though.

Super Dave

macrumors 6502
Fake

I say it's fake. Not because the Photoshopping is unconvincing. But because of this:

Apple doesn't think people are bright enough to have a 2 button trackpad, but they're going to support multiple desktops?! Aside from 7 of us nerds here at MacRumors who've used unix iterations with this who in the real world would even get that concept?

David :cool:

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Whoa! A step closer to Apple groupware?

iGary said:
What is this icon? :confused:

Yeah, that definitely looks like an integrated iCal/Address Book app.

It just sent a tingle up my spine! Because if they do that, the next step is integrated mail/calendar/address book in a single app. Mmmmm, the tantalizing thought of Apple groupware!

Will we finally see Apple's answer to MS Exchange in OS X Server 10.5? I sure hope so, I've only been begging them for that for three years while watching dozens of my company's clients who were very interested in OS X Server go with Windows Small Business Server for one reason: Exchange.

(And yes, I know of Kerio and Communigate Pro, but MS provides everything in one package, and Apple needs to counter with that.)

~Philly

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
This REAL screenshots seemed to take forever, I can't wait to start using Windows Update to keep my IE7 secure, I l0v3 sthi pr0000000

28/02/2006 10:06:09 (pid 3244, tid 524, 15 ms) [Error, PID 3244, TID 524, 09:06:09.454] Error in GetMessageString: wrong string name
28/02/2006 10:06:09 (pid 3244, tid 524, 15 ms) [Error, PID 3244, TID 524, 09:06:09.454] Error in CommonResourceManager: can't instantiate ResourceManager
28/02/2007210:06:09 (pid 3244, tid 524, 15 ms) [Error, PID 3244, TID 524, 09:06:09.454] E3rror in GetMessage4String: wr4ng resulft strings
28/02/2007 10:06:039 (pisd 3244e, tid 5624, 346 ms) [Eesrror, PIDd 3244, TID 524, 09:06:0g9.485] Error6 in GetMffessageString: wrong stringg na6me
28/02/2007 10:06:069 (pid 32444, tidd 524, 46 ms) [Error, PID 3244, TID 524, 09:06:09.485] Error4 in Ge3essageString: wr4ong result string
28/02/2007 10:06:09 (pid 32744, tidd [!doG si setaG] 524,g 46 hm4s3) [Error, PID 3244, TID 524, 09:06:09.485] Error in GetMessageString: wrodnfg string name
28/02/2007 10:06:709 (pid432g44, ti3d 524, 46 gs) [Error, PID 3244, TID 524, 09:06:09.d4846:09 (pid 3244, t7d 52s4,d 62 4mgss) [Error, PID s3h244, TID 524, 09:06:09.500] Error3 in GetMessag6eString: wronfg string name
28/02/2007 10:06:09 (pid 3244, tid 5524, 62 ms) [Error, PID 3244, TIeD 524, 09:06:09.500] Error in GetMessageString: wrongg result string

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I hope its not real. Native windows support is what killed OS/2. They look convincing, you gotta give the guy credit, but Apple isn't this stupid.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Super Dave said:
Apple doesn't think people are bright enough to have a 2 button trackpad, but they're going to support multiple desktops?!

agreed. also, tabs work great on webpages, but aren't so cool for the desktop paradigm (at least not the current one). i seriously doubt apple hired new programmers and designers to work on a "completely redesigned" finder that simply added tabs. these are some slick fakes, but if they were real, we'd at least see some full rez shots.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
BenRoethig said:
I hope its not real. Native windows support is what killed OS/2. They look convincing, you gotta give the guy credit, but Apple isn't this stupid.

Native Classic Support didn't kill OSX

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
I'm new to macs and stuff but what does having two desktops mean? What is the point of having more than one desktop? I don't get it. Would this effect the average user?

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Super Dave said:
I say it's fake. Not because the Photoshopping is unconvincing. But because of this:

Apple doesn't think people are bright enough to have a 2 button trackpad, but they're going to support multiple desktops?! Aside from 7 of us nerds here at MacRumors who've used unix iterations with this who in the real world would even get that concept?

David :cool:

Guess again.

Use Logic Express or Pro, your 1-9 keys are the hotkeys to your 9 multiple desktop enviroments. Professionals get it too, and some of us are pretty cool...

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
m-dogg said:
Would any Linux users mind explaining the benefit of multiple desktops? While it sounds interesting, I don't see what value it adds.
If you do any kind of multitasking multiple desktops are great. I have used them quite a bit in many versions of linux. If you have a lot of windows open but don't want to crowd your workspace, put some on another desktop. That way nothing gets overcrowded.

SalsaShark

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2000
Umm, there's nothing wrong with the IE shadow. It has a much lighter shadow than the other window, but it's there, even on the right side. Apparently people aren't very observant, because the frontmost window always has a much stronger shadow than the background windows. I'm not saying it's real or fake, but the shadows are perfectly accurate.

dhc

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
UK
jason2811 said:
I'm new to macs and stuff but what does having two desktops mean? What is the point of having more than one desktop? I don't get it. Would this effect the average user?

Give it a shot with this app - it takes a little customisation, and while not essential to the way in which I work/play, I find it has it's uses (as mentioned in Longofest's post).

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Desktop-Manager.shtml

Fake? maybe not entirely - could be a hint at things to come..? drumming up interest etc?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
jason2811 said:

so you can set them up for different work settings, like have a graphics desktop a games desktop and a office work desktop

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Hmm...
And these aren't viruses?
Nice.

Hector said:
the transition thing reminds me of a certain goat with a se.
And you just KNOW someone's going to make a theme out there that puts hands into the transition. :D

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
7on said:
Native Classic Support didn't kill OSX

Thats pretty much irrelevent.

OS X was the future of OS 9 everyone knew they werent going to co-exist forever and upgrading you're code was necessary. OS 9 was in no way a competitor to OS X.

Windows will be another story. Id rather just dual boot to be honest with you, leave virtualization to companies like parallels for the niche group of people who need it. Making it standard on all systems could kill apple's support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.