Leopard System Requirements

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tj2001, Aug 11, 2006.

1. tj2001 macrumors regular

I was curious if there is any confirmed requirements for Leopard?
    I have a Dual 1.25 G4 with the FW800, 1.5 Gigs Ram, and the stock video card.

Will I be able to run it, or will I need a video card upgrade?

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

That'll be supported, for sure - you might miss out on a few graphical niceties, but I don't think there's any debate over whether that system will meet minimum system requirements...

What video card does that machine come with, by the way?

3. tj2001 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not at home to be absolutely positive but I believe it is the ATi 9700.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you can be sure Leopard will run on all the systems on the market now.
    and. to be honest, I don' think leopard will have different sys req than Tiger.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

uummm.........

every previous version of OS X has needed more HD space, system ram and vram to function at usable levels than the one before it.......although not like double/triple etc but still...

And, the Leopard page does say "from G3 to Xeon".......

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

10.1, 10.2, 10.3 have pretty much same sys req, only 10.4 require more ram.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not anymore it doesn't...

Tiger requires FireWire, 256 MB of RAM and 3 GB of space. Panther required 128 MB of RAM and 1.5 GB of space (although 3 GB was recommended).

8. LastBreath macrumors member

LastBreath

I don't expect the OS to be too resource hungry, its what will make the gap between OSX and vista.

9. iradeon macrumors newbie

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So either you are in breach of your NDA, or you are making this up. In both cases you are not trustworthy, and whatever your claims are can be ignored. But just because I am curious: Which one is it? Are you a person who is willing to risk major financial loss and legal problems for himself and/or the company he is working for, just to make a post on MacRumors, or are you someone who has to make up stories to feel important?

11. Sequence macrumors member

Remember that it is still an OS X release, not OS 11. I consider these OS X releases as major updates, not as new Operating Systems, thus each version of OS X have similar system requirements.

12. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

This may be a stupid question, but does Leopard write over "those 3 GB" that Tiger took up when you upgrade, or will Leopard suck up another "3 GB" off of my ibook when I upgrade to it? In other words, is it "3 GB" bigger than Tiger?

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I very much doubt it. It will be bigger, most definitely but not that much bigger.

14. SentientFluid macrumors newbie

I can't verify the veracity of the information, but according to theplaceforitall.com, the requirements for the developer's preview that was handed out is a follows:

So, if you trust the website then running Leopard on a G3 won't be supported and the requirements are pretty close to being on par with Tiger.

With most OS (not just OS X) upgrades, the older system files will be overwritten by the newer ones. So upgrading from Tiger to Leopard won't add "those 3GB" from Tiger to whatever Leopard ends up needing. There may be some some over lap (I prefer erase and installs to upgrades), but most liekly not by much.

15. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'm very sure that Leopard will run on my 1ghz Tibook. What I'm unsure of is whether it will run as smoothly as Tiger. I really do want to upgrade to Leopard but I don't want my laptop to feel bogged down in anyway since Tiger runs plenty fast. Let's hope the maxed out ram will keep me going strong

16. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

No. Although the numbers may increase, performance will also strangely increase on the same old hardware. I have a Mac G3 350 MHz which I had loaded the 10.2 system. Afterwards, when I upgraded to 10.3, I noticed 50% more speed on the same hardware. I have 384 mbytes RAM onto this machine, and 6Gbytes HDD.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Way to call this guy's bluff gnasher729 - it allows me to pull this one out of my archives... :cool:

[​IMG]

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd find it somewhat surprising if Apple doesn't support any of the G3 systems. They were selling G3 iBooks until the end of 2003. That seems rough to cut out all those users. Also, if it'll run on any G4, I would think that a 900Mhz G3 isn't too slow.

Still, there are definitely signs that the G3 isn't supported.

19. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Its sad, a lot of G3 owners just want to be able to run software that will require Leopard, we are fine with not being able to use Time Machine! :D

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm actually hoping it will run better. I've never really been that happy with Tiger (except for the widgets, which I love). I've always been of the opinion that Tiger isn't as speedy as it could be- the graphics don't seem as smooth as Panther, etc. OS X has steadily improved speed-wise over the years. Let's hope it gets even better. I mean, come on- when I have a dual-core G5 with 3.5 Gb RAM and still get beachballs from time to time, what's going on?

21. projectle macrumors 6502

The last iBook with a G3 would have been sold through retail channels between 3 3/4 - 4 years before Leopard is expected to ship depending on when it falls in the "Spring 2007" timeframe.

Apple is only "obligated" to support their products for 3 years due to their warranty policies. Most of their products are still supported today regardless of that.

Frankly, the fact that Apple is continuing to support much of their stuff up to 8 years is pretty astonishing compared to most of the computing community.

Now, put on your flame retardant undergarments and take a chill pill.
    There are systems sold today through retail channels ($1800+ systems) that have NO HOPE of running Vista at all.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

More like 2 3/4 - 3 years, but still your point is valid.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good point - people have to realize that Leopard will not actually be out for another 8 months, give or take. It is still a fair ways away when you think about it. :cool:

24. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

My wife has an older powerbook G4 with 1GHz Power PC processor. I'm not sure how much ram is in it though. Do you think she'll be able to upgrade to Leopard and have everything run smoothly?

25. SolrFlare macrumors regular

imho, if you can run tiger just fine you probably should be able to run leopard. I'd recommend 1gb minimum but that was what I recommended for Tiger too *shrug*.