Leopard to Sync iPhone Notes

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider publishes a screenshot from the latest development builds of Mac OS X Leopard which reveal that Notes will likely sync with Leopard's Notes functionality:

[​IMG]

The updated Mail client under Mac OS X Leopard offers Notes functionality that closely resembles the iPhone's notes application:

[​IMG]

Article Link

2. macrumors 601

DMann

Welcome Leopard iPhone syncing

This is hopefully the beginning of lots more integration between the iPhone and OS X machines.

3. macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

That is cool, though it may be a while before I upgrade. :(

4. macrumors demi-god

/dev/toaster

I just hope they also add a todo list app and sync those over from mail.app

... even if they do, it sucks I can't upgrade past 1.0.2 :(

5. macrumors regular

kbrain2929

Sweet! Just another little thing that makes Leopard that much better than windows! :p :apple:

6. macrumors regular

Yuppi

Excellent *MrBurnsKindOfExcellent*
    There already is a todo support in calendar right now. Even though it does not seem to be very advanced. I would really love that to sync with the iPhone too.
    But at first the iPhone needs to be available in sweden :(

7. macrumors demi-god

/dev/toaster

Leopard moved the todo list from the calendar to mail.app

8. macrumors member

I'd also love ToDo lists. I'm using 9a559 right now and the universal ToDo list service is awesome. It just needs to goto the iPhone...

And I don't think Notes and ToDo items will sync using iTunes. Mail puts Notes and ToDo lists on your mail server so they can sync with other computers easily.

And I think the reason they've held off on incorporating a ToDo list app on the iPhone is because the way it syncs will be online instead of through iTunes. I think once Leopard hits the streets we'll get iPhone software update 1.2 :)

9. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Hey, Windows users need some TLC, too. When do they get Notes syncing?

I'm a bit displeased that it appears for the moment that you'll need to pair Leopard with the iPhone to get Notes syncing - I guess that a lot of $100 credits will be going to pay for Leopard...

10. macrumors 601

DMann

ToDo Lists

Yes, however, ToDolists have been moved to the mail.app in Leopard. This will be easier to integrate with the iPhone. Right now, I'm running a Great ToDoList 3rd party app on the iPhone. Leopard, I'm sure, will offer dramatic integration -- we shall soon find out.

11. macrumors demi-god

/dev/toaster

I would love to see over the air .mac syncs.

12. macrumors 68000

FreeState

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/mail.html

Noteworthy indeed.

Ever email yourself a reminder that gets lost in your inbox? Mail lets you write handy notes you can access from anywhere. Brainstorm ideas, jot down meeting notes, scribble a phone number — notes can include graphics, colored text, and attachments. Group notes into folders or create Smart Mailboxes that group them for you. Since your notes folder acts like an email mailbox, you can retrieve notes from any Mac or PC.

13. macrumors 6502a

14. macrumors 65816

Wake me up when my $600 phone has a to-do list (ala my free Verizon work phone).

Sheesh. :mad:

15. macrumors 6502a

Um, what about tasks?

Syncing notes is good. No complaints. But how about tasks? I can't even fathom how Apple released the iPhone without task syncing? What on earth were they thinking???! It's absurd.

16. macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I cant wait to see what other features the iPhone will have when leopard comes out.

17. macrumors 68000

FreeState

If you look at mail in 10.5 it has notes support and... To Do's... both are saved in a mail folder... Im sure you can put the dots together there:)

18. macrumors 6502a

What if I don't use Mail.app? Will this notes thing in Leopard also be a stand alone app? Or do I have to load up Mail just to use Notes alone? :confused:

Anyone know?

19. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I don't quite get it. Does this mean you need an IMAP/.mac email account to sync the Notes folder to a remote server? What about people with just one Windows PC, an iPhone, and no Mac? Will they be able to sync their Notes eventually?

20. macrumors 68000

FreeState

Notes is actually system wide in 10.5 :

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/03/leopard_notes_to_sync_with_iphone.html

"In its public previews of Leopard, Apple has demonstrated a new feature dubbed "Notes," which has been commonly showcased as part of Mail 3.0 but is actually a new system-wide feature that can be accessed from just about anywhere in the OS."

21. macrumors 68000

FreeState

Thats a good question... that quote is from Apple so Im guessing that any email account will be set up with a folder where the notes are stored/mirrored on the mail server (pop or IMAP), setup on a PC via iTunes for the iPhone I'm guessing, but I could be wrong...

Does Outlook have a notes feature? I believe it has a task or To do option....

22. macrumors 6502a

23. macrumors 6502

Rich text, Wireless syncing

Regarding the first screenshot: Why wouldn't the iPhone be able to edit rich text? I thought the iPhone's mail client could edit rich text.

Also, if notes are stored in a mailbox, shouldn't they be automatically synced with your iPhone whenever it downloads your mail? Then it would just put notes from the "notes" folder into the separate iPhone app. Would be interesting, as it would be wireless syncing for the iPhone.

24. macrumors 65816

citi

outlook has had note, and task since like windows 98. It is very odd that apple hasn't created tasks into osx until now. So far ahead yet...

25. macrumors 601

Diatribe

I still think it doesn't make sense to have the todo lists in a mail app rather than a calendar app. Now I HAVE to have every todo as an item in my calendar. Before I didn't. But oh well, I guess I have to use it to see it.