Leopard UI - Any news on changes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Skrilla™, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Skrilla™ macrumors regular

Not sure if I should post this in here or in the rumors section but....

Are there any known changes to the UI? Themes, animations, window (Spaces) transitions etc...?

I have seen a couple Spaces demos and it looks promising.

I am hoping for some cool effects like our Linux friends have in Beryl and Compiz. :cool:

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i've heard Leopard will resemble the iTunes 7 interface.

3. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think that both the iTunes 7 UI and Vista's UI are unattractive.

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I want them to keep a similar interface as close to the one now as possible. But it would definitely be appealing to have some of vista's eye candy type stuff in it. They have all these "top secret" features that they won't reveal and they've taken a good amount of time to work on em so it should be better than we thought. I'm hoping it will blow us all away. The anticipation for it is starting to make others think otherwise:(

p.s. i hate itunes7's interface

5. Skrilla™ thread starter macrumors regular

I read something a while back on the supposed new UI, it even had a name, nobody know what it is? :eek:

6. nickane macrumors 6502

Illuminous.

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/12/11/aqua-to-see-leopard-refresh/

Not to be a smartarse, but I couldn't remember either, so I typed 'aqua' in the search field at the top of the page and the article was the first to come up. Sometimes ppl forget that it's only worth asking a question on these forums if you can't find any instance of its being answered before (just look at all the "where can i find ram threads?"), let alone asking someone if they can remember what a recent macrumors article said, as if they're hoping someone won't have thrown that issue away, so to speak.

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I hope it does. I love the iTunes 7 interface and think that black glass would look great when left to run amok :)

If not iTunes 7, I'd be perfectly happy to just see the death of brushed metal. Polished metal FTW.

8. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

i know for sure that you will be able to change the colors of the UI because I saw a pic with a pink theme (things were highlighted in pink). And I think there was text in spotlight about changing theme colors (in the same pic with the pink theme). I'm not sure where it was, but it's an official apple pic.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I hope they don't go overboard though. In fact if they just use a system unified version of the current iLife UI then i'll be happy.

10. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Exactly what i want,

11. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

Look at the bottom of the window.

Attached Files:

• 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      105.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I was really worried when I saw 'Leopard UI' and 'Chris Bangle' next to each other :eek:

13. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

Hmmm some flames and some creases would look good, maybe idrive aswell.

But the bottom of that screenshot shows the white glowing surface which seem quite new.

14. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Me too! It's time to lose the jelly bean scrolls bars and buttons! Death to the jelly bean

15. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I have the feeling (wish), that the UI won't change dramatically, but in the detail it will be way more refined.

All I want is a steady UI throughout the whole system. Please?!

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

And ugly headlamps :rolleyes:

Can't really see any major changes in that little screenshot, nothing particularly new IMO...

17. Skrilla™ thread starter macrumors regular

18. nickgwyn macrumors member

Leopard

While showing off Leopard to my father, I noticed something odd: a spotlight icon!

This was in the film about iChat's features, oddly enough.

Is this just nothing or are we going to get some sort of spotlight app?

[​IMG]

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

20. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

Actually, different parts of the OS are being considered "apps" in Leopard. Hence the spotlight icon, the spaces icon, expose just to the right of the spotlight icon. Though the expose icon is ugly.

I am really sick of the gray. It's too much like windows classic! This is the future...and Vista's UI does look nice! Admit it!

-=|Mgkwho

21. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

The UI doesnt really flow very well and i really dislike the brushed metal look of safari, thats one of the main reasons why im a firefoxer. I just want the leopard UI to be mind blowing, not just lickable but edible. I also hate the 3 small round minimise and x buttons on the top left of all the windows... it was cool in 2001 but not in 2007. i tunes 7 is awesome except for the green orange and red circles, they ruin the experience.

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Use Graphite.

23. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

As much as I'd love to see a Black UI I don't know why but I just cannot see it happening...

24. brianus macrumors 6502

I know, really. Don't people who complain about the "jellybeans" know how much more classy the system looks using this built-in option?

I really hope they don't iTunes-ify Leopard. Sooooo ugly.

I do hope they keep at least three different GUI themes for different apps, as they have now (though I'd be open to replacing brushed metal with a "polished metal" look); it helps distinguish apps from one another in Exposé. I will never, ever understand the people who need all apps to look the same. I get it if different UIs have radically different behaviors, thus leading to confusion over, say, just what some button does, but as far as mere appearance goes, differentiation is a great thing, as long as the themes don't badly clash with one another.

On a related note, am I the only one disappointed by the demise of the "drawers" of Aqua? The new Mail.app-ified Preview app is about to get a whole lot more awkward by replacing them with a lame sidebar.