Leopard Vs. Vista

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigb0y, Oct 31, 2006.

1. bigb0y macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2006
    Why go with Leopard?
    Why not Vista?

What does/will Leopard have that Vista doesn't? and are these reason good enough?

I want to see the enthusiasts rip apart Vista.

How would you convince someone to use Leopard?

Let's go!
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    OSX rules but I have first hand knowledge that Vista won be out now till Jan 31. It says so on my new Vista Coupon that came with this DELL e521.
  3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    So they hope. I say more like March 31st.
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I wonder if it will show in 2007? It was suppose to be here in 2005,2006, now 2007. This coupon expires it says March 31 so they must feel they are close.:D
  5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Viruses, spyware, adware, cost, no Core Image/Core Video/Core Audio/Core Animation, cost (astronomical), poor design (it's still ugly IMO), installing drivers, lack of decent software, low feature count, difficult to use, lack of decent hardware to run it on...

The list could go on and on, but it won't, I'll refrain...
  6. Will_reed macrumors 6502

May 27, 2005
    AND Leopord is BOTH 64bit and 32bit, In the same package none of this windows 64 bit or windows 32 bit
  7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Silly question. No one buys an OS just to run the OS. They buy it to run applications. So if you want to run iPhoto or Final Cut Pro you need Mac OSX.

So if you are going to recommend a computer and OS to someone you first have to know what they are planning to do with the new computer. In many cases I have recommended Solaris
  8. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    1. I don't like using Windows.
    2. I prefer to use OSX
    3. Vista won't run on my Mac so why should I bother?
    4. Vista is going to cost a lot more because I'd need to buy a PC to run it on.
    5. iLife won't run on Vista.
    6. My copy of Office won't run on Vista.
    7. Handbrake and iSquint won't run on Vista.
    8. Vista won't be able to read or write to my iPod.

Want more?
  9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    You're question doesn't make sense. Why go with Leopard over Vista? Because Leopard will be the OS that runs my Mac. Vista will be the OS that runs my PC. If you're wanting us to compare the two, wait until they're both released.
  10. dsnort macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2006
    In persona non grata
    Vista might actually be pretty good, and have some nice stuff in it.

But unless that nice stuff includes a hefty reimbursement for the years of my life I wasted trying to function with their last offering, then MS is "whistling Dixie" as far as I am concerned.
  11. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

All excellent reasons to say NO to Vista! :D :)
  12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    It really is ugly too... translucent inactive windows? Didn't we, like, have that already, and remove it because it was way too distracting, unattractive, and evens slightly confusing to the eye?

Mac OS X 10.0
  13. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    Vista had better succeed for Microsoft's sake. They have a lot riding on Vista, reputation not the least. But, as an IT manager and buyer of all of our hardware, and software, I will not be buying Vista until I have little choice. Even now, I still have ~ 1/3 of my installed base running Windows 2000 Pro.

Licensing MS products has become a royal pain. They have made it so complicated, with few attractive options, I just hate doing business with them. I hear this sentiment echoed by all of my colleagues. This is the end result of allowing one company to become so dominate and castrate all of the competition.

I do not see MS making any serious attempt to forsake their predatory practices and become a customer oriented company. Rather, I see them just trying to 'weather the storm', and continue business as usual. I really think this is a major mistake. They have some serious competitors now. Apple and Linux have been battle tested. They both have attractive alternatives to MS, especially Apple.

I introduced Mini's into my company almost a year ago. Our business applications, which are MS based, are run in a Citrix terminal session. The users love the Macs! I am now developing my 2nd phase integration. I am installing a Xserve/Xraid solution to replace the MS file servers. It is cheaper (much cheaper with licensing), and easier to manage.

Vista..who needs it? Not our company.
  14. Croatian macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    you ask, stupid, stupid questions my friend. It is like asking, Ford Vs BMW ... i mean how do u compare the two, one craps out on you every year, one u look like ur worth million dollars and it lasts u longer.

First off .. Vista will and is mimicing many features of Apple's Tiger OS, so lets not even go any further there, i mean how can u say Vista is better if it is mimicing the previous mac os x, u wanna be better come up with something new.

Second off ... In Vista My Documents and My Computer are now Computer and Documents as they are in mac os tiger, i mean if thats not enough the interface in vista is aero in mac is aqua.

Also i have noticed in Vista the search icon is same as the spotlight just looking other way around. Also Vista will use a new universal format called Metro, based on XML, for viewing and printing files. The aim is consistency of documents on screen and in print witch mac os x users have seen for many years but just in PDF format. How will XML work for windows i guess time will tell.

So to answer your question ... u should be asking Vista or Tiger because it doesn't seem like Vista has done anything new that Apple hasn't done already or will do better then they.

Maybe u should call Bill Gates and tell him to Wake up, come up with his own ****, not to copy other ides and make it look fancy and call it new technology
  15. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2006
    just this side of heaven, CHARLESTON SC
    bigboy, you sure opened up a can of worms there didn't you?

My brother had gotten a copy of Vista and he put it on his computer.
    He said it was ok but nothing to write home about.

I have yet to work with an actual os x so I don't really know the difference. But that is going to change real soon.

But I definitely would not put my money on Vista, I work as a computer operator and some of my co workers have read about and they are mixed in their feelings towards it.

It has to beat XP (hopefully) i think xp sucks big time. I prefer ME over XP!!
  16. iJaz macrumors 6502a

Dec 16, 2004
    Windows fanboy Thurrott calls Vista a train wreck, I think that's a pretty good reason to stay as long away from Vista as you can.
  17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    Yes... reading his blog article again was amusing.
  18. Xenesis macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2006
    Leopard will run well on computers that are 5-6 years old. I can't imagine Vista running on a computer older than 2.
  19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    by the looks of the specs, it won't run on some brand new computers!

Leopard vs Vista? Is that even a question? You know the right answer, don't get us to tell you. :p
  20. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    and I prefer 98SE over them all. The only good thing to ever come out of Microshaft (Baring the Xbox and Xbox 360... Of course) and they stopped supporting it. They will never learn...
  21. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Eh, if I had to use a Windows, I'd take XP. Any NT-kernel based Windows is better than the unstable house of cards that was the 9x line (which culminated in ME, an OS so unstable that it'd crash if you looked at it funny). If you know what you're doing, securing XP isn't that big a deal (especially if you're just keeping it around to play some games, which is my plan once I get a Mac Pro).

But yes, concerning the OP's query, it's like comparing apples and oranges. From an tech point of view, Microsoft are really playing catch-up to OS X Tiger, and Leopard has a number of exciting new technologies that Microsoft can't even begin to match in this oft-delayed release. Don't get me wrong, if Vista really can improve on XP's miserable security situation (and/or games start demanding DX10) I'll install it... but not until I have some absolute reason to.
  22. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2006
    If you absolutely have to use Windows, stick with XP.

XP is, in my opinion, better than Vista in every way.
    Since I'm typing this while ignoring a C++ lecture, I'm going to leave out why..

Since getting my Macbook Pro, my XP machine has become the primary file/print server. I got my Mac in the end of August, and my XP machine has rarely been used since then (only for my parents' web browsing needs and my horrible week away from my mac while one of the keys I accidently smashed was being repaired) and it's been running nonstop. For over 2 months it's been running without a hitch. XP's a damn good operating system now, and there's no way in hell I'm going to mess up my server with Vista.

And I won't be buying Leopard right away. Gonna wait a while for all the bugs to get worked out first.
    I'm very excited about the new interface builder though. About time Apple modernized the thing.
  23. knome macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2006
    1. Vista will cost 350+ just for the personal version.
    2. Vista will not support iso mounting
    3. Vista already stole many feature from the last release of oxx
    4. visa will only allow 1 hardware change before you have to buy a new license
    5. Vista has windows media 10, which has taken away all music rights
    6. Vista will not run on any new computers well, even core 2 duos are having problems running it.
    7. Since vista stole all the features from the last release of osx the next release should put it in the dust again.
  24. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2006
    Microsoft turned to crap when Balmer took over.

Except for their game studios. Those are cool.
  25. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    you can change your hardware as many times as you want to, i believe, you cannot, however, install windows on multiple computers