Leopard WILL run on PPC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maxrobertson, Aug 9, 2006.

1. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I can't believe how many people keep saying "Leopard won't run on PPC" of course it will! Do you really think that Apple would instantly make every PowerMac obsolete (not to mention the millions of computers that people still use!) I'll say it again: It WILL run on PPC, it says so on their site and the Leopard preview is universal, ok?

Ok, it was good to get that off my chest.

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Do you have quotes for these claims that it won't run on PPC? I'm pretty sure everyone knew Leopard would be universal. :)

3. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Er, who with an ounce of common sense said otherwise? :confused:

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Eh.. ofcourse.

You think Apple would alienate the Quad G5???

It will run on all G4's and maybe even on G3's (same specs as Tiger).

I wonder if it will be universal like many apps, or that the installer will install either the PPC version, or x86 version, depending on detected sysytem.
    I hope the latter.. will probably save alot of space! And maybe some G4 / G5 AltiVec enhancements or x86 SSE2 / SSE3 enhancements could be optimised...?

6. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/64bit.html

"Leopard delivers 64-bit power in one, universal OS. Now Cocoa and Carbon application frameworks, as well as graphics, scripting, and the rest of the system are all 64-bit. Leopard delivers 64-bit power to both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs, so you don’t have to install separate applications for different machines. There’s only one version of Mac OS X, so you don’t need to maintain separate operating systems for different uses."

Before they updated the site, it said...

"Now that the entire operating system is 64-bit, you can take full advantage of the Xeon chip in Mac Pro and Xserve. You get more processing power at up to 3.0GHz, without limiting your programs to command-line applications, servers, and computation engines. From G3 to Xeon, from MacBook to Xserve, there is just one Leopard."

The earliest processor it will run on will be the G3 processor. The latest will be.. well, obviously the Intel ones.

See?

7. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

LOL! AMEN!

I will be one unhappy camper if it doesn't but we all know it will. so this SHOULD be a non-issue ;)

8. maxrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know! That's what I thought, but I'm not kidding a lot of people popped up and were like "But I thought it was only going to be fore Intel" or they were telling n00bs that it would only be fore intel, etc...