Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
yankeefan24 said:
I'm a bit confused about the above post, but anyways:

I thought that they would include it, but it is not definite. They have a disclaimer on the bottom, "All features referenced in the Mac OS X Leopard Sneak Peek are subject to change."

Funny you mention that. There is talk that Leopard will only support Macs with DVD, combo, or super optical drives. No CD exchange option. *

* Note: I heard this from a person that works with Apple. Rumors are rumors and disclaimers need disclaimers.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Yes, Leopard will support G3, but just the CPU is not the only requirement. A DVD drive will probably be needed, and a decent HDD. And not all G3s will be supported, just a lucky select few.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
You guys are far more brave than I. My old G3 iMac DV seemed so slow with Panther that I didn't even install Tiger on it. And you crazy people want to install Leopard?:eek:

You are men among men. Godspeed Leopard/G3 users...:D

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
mox358 said:
You guys are far more brave than I. My old G3 iMac DV seemed so slow with Panther that I didn't even install Tiger on it. And you crazy people want to install Leopard?:eek:

Tiger runs better than Panther on my old Blue iMac. The revisions seem to run better, but that's my experience. I also always max out the RAM.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
mox358 said:

Well, the performance of Leopard on a G3 would depend on the speed of the processor and the system components such as RAM and Harddisk.

If its a 700 or 900 MHz G3, 512 to 1.5 GBs RAM with a 7200 RPM hard disk, Leopard's performance should be about the same as Tiger or Panther on such a system. If anyone does plan to install Leopard on a G3, at least max the system out with as much memory as possible.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It's the Features that will kill the G3

Many of the new features just won't work or be too slow on a G3. For example, Time Machine will bring the G3 down to a crawl during backups and you won't probably get the visual effects out of Core Animation. iChat will be limited to voice and text chat like the current version. 64bit, Front Row, Photo Booth, all mean nothing to a G3 class Mac.

Terminal should work fine but Apple may place some code in the installer to verify if you have a G3 and stop the install at that point.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
t^3 said:
it may be beneficial to continue supporting older hardware to increase profits from OS sales, since Apple has likely sold far more G3/G4/G5 systems than older Macs.
They don't make much, if anything, on OS sales. They make the majority of their money from hardware sales, so it would be more beneficial to stop supporting something a smide earlier.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Word is already coming in from the "community" that Leopard will not install on a G3. These reports are coming from channels that are generally "less than legitimate" as they are doing things that are "less than legitimate".

I guess we will see as soon as Leopard is posted to ADC for some real confirmation.

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
this is good news, now i can get a B&W and upgrade it with latest software & hardware...
one of the reasons i love apple...a 7 y/o computer and it still supports the latest software with a few minor upgrades

vgame64

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2005
This is great news, and the answer to the question I was about to post on the forums.

I just hope it runs decently with my PPC G3 600MHz with 512MB RAM.
It's not too shabby, though I have had better. Namely my Quad that was stolen.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Let me help you out, Sky Blue

For those not bothered to click on the link, here's the pic... ;)
I wonder what will happen if you install it on a G4, and then insert that drive with Leopard installed in a B&W G3. Will it boot?

Attachments

• page1ks8.png
    page1ks8.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 271

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
My old bondi imac makes a great stereo in the garage with iTunes and 10.2.8

lots of music library w/ 6Gb compared to digging up old cd's, internet radio...
Seven years old and otherwise useless unless it becomes a collector's item!

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
MacsRgr8 said:
Let me help you out, Sky Blue

For those not bothered to click on the link, here's the pic... ;)
I wonder what will happen if you install it on a G4, and then insert that drive with Leopard installed in a B&W G3. Will it boot?

>.< i just had to click that link...there goes my idea...

edit-just read some posts and i hope that would work..

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
IT WORKS ON A G3!

The hard disk swap works fine. I swapped it from my G4 to my Blue G3, and it boots perfectly fine.

EDIT - It sorta works, a lot of stuff crashes like crazy, Photobooth nor Time Machine will open, Spaces works, etc.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
ReanimationLP said:
IT WORKS ON A G3!

The hard disk swap works fine. I swapped it from my G4 to my Blue G3, and it boots perfectly fine.

EDIT - It sorta works, a lot of stuff crashes like crazy, Photobooth nor Time Machine will open, Spaces works, etc.

Lets hope the bugs are because its pre released, I have a B&W that runs as a server and I would love to install 10.5 server on it for all the new cool features of server. (I like dragging the life of a something out till its beyond dead - just before anyone says why install something like server on a old machine)

It will probably work on our families 700mhz iMac G3, it has a 60gb HD, and 512mb of RAM. However it does not have a DVD drive but I got around this. However, I have found that 10.3.9 was a bit snappier then 10.4.7 on our iMac. Although the iMac does need a cleaning considering it has been upgraded all the way from 10.1, so it has 4 OS installs to bloat it.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Tiger ran briefly on my Summer 2001 500MHz G3 iMac (768MB RAM).

It ran pretty adequately, although after a few weeks I dropped back to 10.3.9 which ran quicker. Mainly, it was the fact that with Tiger, I couldn't resist using all the snazzy stuff -- Dashboard, etc, which were a little too demanding. With 10.3, that stuff wasn't available, so no opportunity to slow things down :)

The media isn't a problem if you've got a second Mac with a DVD drive. Just boot the DVD-less G3 in Firewire Target Disk mode, connect the two, boot the DVD-capable Mac into the installer and finally choose the firewire drive as the installation destination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.