Leopard with chinks in its armour

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 30, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors newbie

Probably not true

From what I've seen the "researcher" doesn't understand the Leopard security model and consequently his claims aren't legit.

3. macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Out of curiosity, what would have been the downside of shipping Leopard with the firewall turned on as the default behavior. I'm sure Apple must have considered and rejected this idea at some point, and I'm curious to know what the advantages/disadvantages of those two options are.

By making it seem that Apple was just dumb and forgot to do this, the author really screws up the credibility of the piece. A more intelligent work of journalism would have analyzed the pros and cons of the decision and shown why Apple made the wrong call (if that's the angle the author is after).

4. macrumors newbie

please expand

Could you please explain your statement further and go into detail as to why you think the author is wrong? Personally, he's got me a little nervous ...

5. macrumors newbie

There's a short discussion on /. concerning this buried in a thread on the Ars Technica Leopard review:
    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/30/0134225&threshold=1 (near the top)

Here's the most relevant quote:
    Trust me if the /. community isn't going crazy over this it's a non-issue.

6. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Perhaps, but I'd like more control over applications and ports. In leopard how to I manually configure TCP and UDP ports for incoming and outgoing connections?

I may want to block specific applications from accessing the web. How can I do this in Leopard? Essentially I'd like Adium, Mail, Vienna, and a a few others to have full access, but other than that I want to know what's trying to access the web.

7. macrumors newbie

I'm not a UNIX guru but I thinks it's something you'd do via ifpw

8. macrumors 68000

flyinmac

9. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Right, but I used to have some of that functionality in Tiger via the sharing preference.

10. macrumors newbie

Not with any fine degree of control. This entire discussion is based on a faulty understanding of the Leopard version of the firewall. To the average end user nothing's really changed

11. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Yes with some degree of control. I specific a range of ports to be blocked and then just have specific ones open.

So I just tried transmission and it asked me if I wanted to allow it to have an inbound connection. However, I didn't respond and it automatically blocked it. That's pretty cool. So I'm guessing that it blocks ports until a specific application requests to use it and then allow based on user feedback.

Update: It also asked for an Admin password when you click "Always Allow."

12. macrumors newbie

thanks so much...your info rocks!!

13. macrumors member

Belle-vue

how can I update my mac from mac os x to mac leopard .. and which one is better os x or leopard?

14. macrumors 68000

flyinmac

To clarify, OS X is every version of the Mac OS from version 10.0 through the current 10.5.0.

Leopard is simply a name used for marketing to identify the latest OS 10.5 version.

The last release of 10.4.0 through 10.4.10 was called "Tiger"

10.3.0 through 10.3.9 were called "Panther".

And, so on.

So, in short, OS X and Leopard are the same thing. It's just that "Leopard" is the latest version of OS X.

Older versions of OS X are OS X as well. Just different versions and with different marketing names.

As for which to get, it depends on your system. But, in general, I would go with whatever the latest version is that will run on your system.