Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Just bought my MacBook this last Thursday and now that I am seeing 10.4.9 being seeded. It worries me.

I plan on buying 10.5 when I can but- is my stock 2Ghz c2d macbook going to run Leopard well?

It is my first mac and I've never experienced the whole Operating system upgrading except for my windows machines uprading Win 98 -> XP -> Vista

and I was just wondering if I am going to suffer performance wise?

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
Just bought my MacBook this last Thursday and now that I am seeing 10.4.9 being seeded. It worries me.

I plan on buying 10.5 when I can but- is my stock 2Ghz c2d macbook going to run Leopard well?

It is my first mac and I've never experienced the whole Operating system upgrading except for my windows machines uprading Win 98 -> XP -> Vista

no i wouldnt say you would have any problems and you wont probably suffer performance wise.
But i am worried about my core duo 2.0 ghz mb and getting it to run leopard
dont worry its my first mac too

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Neither of you will have anything to worry about. I've got a dual 1.4 G4 and I'm not even worried about it.

stevehp

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
It's not a house, it's a home.
not only won't you see issues with your C2D Macbook, but it may be the very machine Leopard will be released on. Seeing as they were updated only a few weeks ago I can't see (unless Leopard is delayed till the summer) there being any laptop upgrades (besides maybe a new 12incher) before Leopard comes out. Leopard will run fine even on most iBooks and Powerbook G4's I think too. Maybe even older.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
OMG, Chill.

Yes, your brand spanking new laptops will run Leopard just fine. Do you really think Apple would be selling computers that were going to be obsolete within 6-8 months?

I mean hell there are g3 iMacs running tiger out there still (although I'm not sure their still supported, but they can run tiger). You will be just fine.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Historically Mac OS X performance has increased through every major release, especially 10.2 > 10.3. This coupled with the fact that Apple and other developers will have had more time to optimise OS X for Intel (as opposed to the years spent optimising it for PPC) would suggest to me you've nothing to worry about at all.

AppleMatt

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Lol yes chill. First of all, Microsoft is not Apple and Apple makes the OS and the computer where as Microsoft only cares about the OS (there's already some hardware concerns about running Vista Ultimate). Therefore Apple will make sure their computers will run their OS no matter how old they are.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
As we've already established, Leopard will run fine on your new MacBook. But why does seeing 10.4.9 being seeded worry you?

because I just got my macbook and that will be the last revision of Tiger before the big leap into leopard.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
because I just got my macbook and that will be the last revision of Tiger before the big leap into leopard.

There is no guarentee that that is so. With Leopard almost certainly not going to be here before April it is quite possible that we will see Tiger 10.4.10 before Leopard 10.5.0 is available.

I fully expect my two-year-old G4 Mac Mini to run Leopard.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

Leopard is going to FLY on your machine, don't worry :).

coday182

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2006
Jamestown, IN

Very interesting... upgrading your windows machine to Vista then purchasing your first mac. Hmmm...

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Everyone is curious :p Figured I would try they beta. Wasn't impressed.

stunna

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2005
Historically Mac OS X performance has increased through every major release, especially 10.2 > 10.3. This coupled with the fact that Apple and other developers will have had more time to optimise OS X for Intel (as opposed to the years spent optimising it for PPC) would suggest to me you've nothing to worry about at all.

AppleMatt

I'm curious, how do they make the operating system faster?

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
no i wouldnt say you would have any problems and you wont probably suffer performance wise.
But i am worried about my core duo 2.0 ghz mb and getting it to run leopard

Worried? If I were you, I would be looking forward to Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.