Leopard - would this be bad/illegal or good/legal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slooksterPSV, Aug 13, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Here's what I want to do, I want to create a DMG that is the exact same size as Mac OS X Leopard DMG thing that's all over the internet, but I want to throw in some fake files in there such as - text edit documents - rtf, doc, etc. telling people to wait for WWDC and buy leopard - but yes give them the hassle of downloading 3.5GB or however much it is and mirror it. Is this bad or illegal? Or can I do this =D Sorry but people shouldn't download Leopard off the internet, they should wait like the rest of the million of us.

2. uchuff macrumors member

Why would anyone download from yourself rather than the usual reliable sources?

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

People are stupid, if they think its it they'll download it - they'll download anything they think is real.

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Legally speaking..Allowing a d/l of Leopard is illegal..Adding stuff to it is also illegal so I'd say adding stuff to it then allowing downloads would be illegal.

5. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

He's not giving out leopard he is making a junk file of the size of leopard so dicks that want a pirate copy download it and get nothing

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

He wasn't going to include Leopard, just fake junk.

It's probably legal, but pointless.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I'd be pointless, and you'd have to make sure anything you include doesn't have a copyright (Everything/junk is created by you).

Plus, anyone who knows anything about that torrent knows its not called Mac OS X leopard, or the like.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

:rolleyes: What a useless endeavor. One person will download your fake copy, then post that it's fake and tell everyone else to stay clear. Meanwhile, thousands of people will continue downloading the actual copy of Leopard out there. Futile and pointless.

I sincerely hope you have more productive uses for your time than this. :cool:

9. projectle macrumors 6502

I have an easy solution...

head -n 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 /dev/urandom > /garbage.txt

rename garbage.txt to Leopard.10.5.WWDC.dmg
    Compress to a split RAR archive (46MB per file, 90 files)
    Name the rar files the same as those in the pirated version, find someone with VERY high upload speed post to some torrent site and seed for a day or two.

Market as Download Leopard at up to 1Gbps. You will get tons of takers.

10. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Apple legal will probably pull it anyway, they wouldn't wait to download it, they would pull, and If they somehow track you down then you could be in trouble.

11. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

That's proally true, I gave up on it, I don't know how to get it to where people can download it, and I'm tired. I have to think of College, not stupid little antics trying to piss abusers off.

12. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Also, if you post to some torrent trackers, they list all file names contained within the torrent, so you would have to name all files exactly as the original ones were.

Not worth it.

13. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

your mac will be hacked, email account spammed, ichat/aim flooded, you will be fxxked..

14. Mr. Dee macrumors 6502a

Mr. Dee

I don't see any sense in this, sounds more like a suck up tactic to Apple. I wouldn't be sureprised if we found the leaked 4.3 GB DMG image on your hard disk or its installed on a second partition.

I suggest you stay out of this, Apple knows what to do, plus, anyone willing to download it knows what they are doing and can tell the difference between garbage and the real thing.

15. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Second partition? Haha, like I have the hard drive space haha. Besides, like I said, I'm not going to do it, I'll let Apple handle it and go on about my own business. Besides this Core Data thing is awesome, I made two apps in less than 2 hours, I'm thinking of a new one to make right now - this is so easy!

I'll admit, I want Leopard bad, but I'm faithful to Apple, I won't steal it, so I'm always fighting for Apple - even thinking of trying to do antics like that posted above or below (whichever your forum is set to look like)

I promise, I swear on my iBook I don't have a copy of Leopard. That's a sacred trust right there. - Nor will I download it

16. dmetzcher macrumors regular

Is being Apple's policeman all you have to do? Frankly, it's really none of your business, and you are likely to cause quite a few people to get upset with you. Right or wrong, you might not want a few hundred, or thousand, people gunning for you.

I'd just leave it alone. Let Apple police this themselves, and get their own attorneys involved. You could actually create more of a mess for them if you were to do this, as it could appear to be coming from them, or someone could easily implicate them, and the lie would travel like a virus through every major blog and news site. The last time I checked, blogs and news sites are not too quick to correct their own stories, if they even bother to at all.

What's more, you could cause Apple to waste valuable resources tracking YOU down, only to find that they have someone who was trying to "help" them. Wasted time on Apple's part is time they could have spent tracking others down, if they care that much about all this. And, in the end, the people who waste their time and download from you are only going to look elsewhere when they realize that they've gotten a bogus copy of the software. So what will you have accomplished?

Basically, it's counter-productive.

17. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

huummmm.............

sounds like something a S.F.B. crakhead would do :D

and besides, what would your momma think about this???

18. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

OOhh, my son.. He's such a nice young boy. Very good with computrRss you know! :D :D

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I heard that Microsoft did this. They made giant 3+ GB disk images and gave them away over the net, and when you opened them up, all you found was a bunch of junk called Vista in them. :rolleyes:

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Eww, sounds like a nasty virus...

21. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

At least it's better than Vista itself...

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Psst...you missed the original joke. ;)

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Because the reliable sources are often either taken down or flooded with traffic, forcing people to look for other download links.

Speaking as someone who has tried to find older files and found thousands of dead links and spent hours trying to find a working one, that sounds horrible and mean, especially since your upload speed will probably be so slow it'll take days to download.

Speaking as someone who is vehemently anti-piracy, though, that sounds like a very good action to take, supporting the industry and kicking would-be pirates in the pants.

Make sure the text document identifies you as a supporter of Apple and anti-piracy.

I can't see why it'd be illegal. You just happened to name the filename Leopard, and it just happens to be the exact same size as Leopard, but there's no copywrighted material within.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

But what could they do? If they threaten to sue, tell them to download the file, it's not Leopard.

25. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's the strange thing about illegal downloading of these Betas. Yes, you are doing something immoral, and you have have posession of software you don't own, etc.

But who in their right mind will use this Beta as the primary OS? Most people who get hold of this Beta will probably buy Leopard (Final) the second it is available....
    Is Apple really hurt by this? A couple of impatient geeks who want to see it for themselves....
    IMHO downloading commercial products for real use is far more concerning. Using shareware apps, and copy-pasting a SB-serial number as to let the app "think" you actually bought is, is disgusting, but very common practice.