Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CANEHDN, Aug 7, 2006.

1. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

So what's everyone's reaction to OS X Leopard? I'm a little disappointed. I guess I wasn't expecting a sneak preview. I was looking forward to a more in depth preview. The new features they announced are cool but I guess we'll have to wait a bit to see what else Leopard will have.

2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

It's not that big a change; doesn't appear to be anything you can't do with third party programs (unlike tiger)

3. blasto333 macrumors regular

The backup feature that apple implemented in their OS is actually a great idea.

Operating Systems have always left this software mostly for 3rd parties. But I think Apple made a great move in integrating this with their OS, because people can feel more confortable using their computer and not worrying too much about losing their information.

The virutal desktops also sound like a great idea.

Remember Apple didn't release ALL the information about their OS because they don't want M$ stealing their features.

I think leapord is going to be the best improvement yet.

4. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I think the new features are going to be GREAT. After seeing Leopard in action..I'm real excited about whats to come.

5. CANEHDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

That's true. The backup feature is a nice feature. I wonder how much extra HD space that will take up. The spaces feature has been around for a while though. They've done something a little different with it, though.

6. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i found it pretty disapointing as well - bluescreen effects in ichat are cool and all, i was just hoping for something more substantial. however, i'll bet the top-secret features will be pretty fantastic, so i'm looking forward to those. in fact, i'm pretty sure the system will recieve a huge visual update:

resolution independence was introduced in 10.4 as something that could be implemented on a per-application basis and dave hyatt made comments about the ability to scale web page data/graphics a few months back, yet there was absolutely NO mention of this in the keynote and all the screens/movies show the standard bitmap tiger graphics. why wouldn't they showcase system-wide resolution independence or update the GUI at all? because the new GUI that takes advantage of this feature won't see the light of day until vista is all but shipped, leaving MS no time to revise it.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Apple's OS always puts windows to shame... I just hope Leopard will run on my mini I just bought last summer. I better upgrade the ram soon.

8. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Actually; i'm pretty sure M$ has integrated auto backups for a while; apple just can't talk about some of these things. Unfortunatley, Longhorn was the FIRST to have widgets; it was before konfobulator. There is ALOT of overexageration about copying going on here..

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The notes under the QT movie suggest that it only works to an external drive or server so it shouldn't eat HD space. I suspect there will be some Preferences as to how long you can keep stuff for - and it's likely only to update incrementally so shouldn't take up too much extra space.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Apple's OS always puts windows to shame... I just hope Leopard will run on my mini I just bought last summer. I better upgrade the ram soon.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Automated backups are one thing, but time machine is quite different. Vista is really planning to include a feature similar to Time Machine that was only announced a week or two ago. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060730-7383.html
    Details are sketchy as to whether the previous versions can go on external or network dirves. All in all this is nothing super new. I used VMS on various VAX computers in the mid to late 1980s that kept previous versions of files....

I nominate the networked Spotlight as my favorite new feature, with the make a widget from any webpage as a close second.

B

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I think what we saw of Leopard today is everything that's great about Apple. It takes a big idea (how the end-user experiences space and time in the GUI ) and reworks that idea toward an interface that's simultaneously practical and intuitive.

I'm sure a lot of people think that what they've read about today is smoke and mirrors -- toys to tempt you to upgrade. I think Apple thinks it's more than that (and I think that it thinks more of its customers than that).

And I also love that I can make almost anything a widget -- a great way to shrink my bookmarks.

13. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

any idea/guesses as to how much it will cost to update from Tiger to Leopard???

14. CANEHDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

You realize that Spring '07 is 7-9 months away. That's forever. I don't want to wait that long for Leopard to be released. Sheesh.

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, and it was totally configurable. That OS had totally kickass backup too, I'll be happy if Apple can manage something half as functional.

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Why doesn't apple just sue microsoft?

17. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I agree I was hoping for a January, at the latest, release date.

Gotta say though the new iChat is the bomb. Call me fickle but I love that background moving image feature.

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

$129.

19. CANEHDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Apple already sued Microsoft. Back in the day when the OSes were new, Microsoft was copying Apple's OS. Apple lost the lawsuit.

20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Heh, no kidding. System Restore and Outlook Templates have been around for a while :cool:

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

From the movies on apple.com Time Machine looks nothing like XP's System Restore or even Vista's Previous Versions. The idea may be derivative (as I mentioned similar systems have been around since the 1980s) but the implementation seems rather good.

Templates are templates... Outlook Express even used to call them Stationery too....

:confused: Longhorn? I thought we were still waiting for Longhorn to ship in the form of Vista next year, but maybe I'm confused. Do you mean Windows Server 2003?

B

22. projectle macrumors 6502

Outlook costs quite a bit (Mail is free)

Widgets (or the Windows Sidebar) has been around since 2003 when Microsoft had their PDC, however at that point, they looked very different than they do now, or compared to what the Dashboard of Microsoft's current widgets system looks like.

[​IMG]

Remember, after the 2003 PDC, the sidebar was killed never to be seen again. That is until Tiger came out, at which point MS started talking about the sidebar again, and finally got it working in a build from 6 months ago.

Windows Calendar is an absolute rip off of iCal, and has been from the begining.

System Restore and Time Machine are a little different.

System Restore keeps snapshots of System Files and can put them back to the standard versions if things get screwed up.
    Time Machine lets you selectively choose previous verisons of individual files, folders, or collections and bring them back.

Time Machine (at least with the information and demo provided) is not a "system-wide" tool other than the fact that it runs everywhere.
    We will see in the next day or two after we (and by we, I mean devs) have time to load it on our own systems and start experimenting.

23. projectle macrumors 6502

No, he means Longhorn.

Longhorn 4051 (PDC 2003) was widely distributed and during my time at Microsoft, I read a report that an estimated 9 million copies were installed (due to systems talking to the Activation Server and Windows Updates).

Sure, at that point it was just reskinned XP (before the code reset), but it did have some fun stuff.

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Let's not forget Apple had Desk Accessories way before any widget on any platform was available.

I for one am looking forward to buying a new machine when leopard comes out. Now, is it a MBP or a MP? Decisions, decisions...

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sure, but it was never released to the public as a product. Tiger was.

Who knows how the features unveiled today will look in the finished verson of Leopard. I hope they all survive.

EDIT: I wonder what the computing landscape would look like if Microsoft had delivered on even half of the promises of Cairo.

B