Leopard's Secret Features: Windows as the new Classic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sigamy, Mar 29, 2007.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Classify this as a Page 2 rumor but here is what is going to happen--Apple is going to include the ability to seamlessly run Windows applications under Mac OS X 10.5. They will be turning Windows into the new Classic.

This will be the perfect tool for users who still have a few Windows apps that they need to run. The solution is rumored to be much more elegant than Parallels, more in line with WINE.

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

3. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Dude who cares about sources.

He said it on a forum so its gots to be true.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

ha-ha-ha... i love sarcasm like these:rolleyes:

5. wanderlust4ever macrumors member

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Will it run on the new G5 PowerBooks which are coming out this Tuesday?

7. Xavier macrumors 68020

That looks very photoshop'ed. But if it is try that windows could be integrated that would be nice. And that finder window layout was pretty snazzy.

But I dont see this happening, if at all. Wouldn't Microsoft counter with some legal action that wouldn't allow this? I dunno whatevea

8. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Man.. G5s are so last century. We have G8s now.

You heard it here first. PowerBook G8 next tuesday with Mac OS X 15

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I use Windows as classic using Paralles with Tiger. Perhaps Apple can include that in Leopard but the feature existed for a long time for Intel Macs if you wanted it.

Improved networking with Windows might be the secret feature. Or faster iDisk transfers under Finder. In April, I hope the secrets are finally made public.

10. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

This was a page 2 article in june of 2006. The same screenshots are in this article and the original poster of the screenshots have said they are fake.

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/06/23/leopard-screenshots/
    http://trinityrubicon.blogspot.com/2006/06/jig-is-up.html

Actually you could run virtuagirl in parallels i suspect. :p don't even need leopard for it. ;)

11. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

I read from a very reliable source that Leopard's other secret feature is its ability to give you a lap dance.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know where he heard it, but I've been spreading this rumor ever since Apple announced the move to Intel. Of course there's no actual factual basis for it, but it does make perfectly good sense, and if Apple has indeed been keeping some big secrets about Leopard features, this could be one of them.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

14. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Parallels with Coherence basically gives you this - its very similar to using "Classic", and very nice I might add. I highly doubt that Apple are going to provide a WINE like solution. I think the "secret features" are going to be UI based mainly, with perhaps some new apps.

As for classifying this as a "Page 2 rumor", its more like a Page 567 rumor, given that you have no source.

15. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, a Windows installation would probably be needed, so Microsoft will still make some $$$$ off the deal. Even Classic needed an installation of OS 9 to work.

On the other hand, ol' Bill might bust an artery when reporters ask him how he feels about Mac OS X being able to run Windows apps.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Windows Desktop Overlay (™) :D has been tossed about as a Leopard feature for ages.

17. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I think even that would flatter this 'rumour'. Perhaps we can invent a "Page 3 Rumours".

Still, an elegant way of running Windows apps in OSX would be lovely.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We have, it consists of stories for April Fool's day ;).

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But no! WINE does not require Windows. Riddle me this: if the open source community can develop a method of running (at least some) Windows applications in Linux without Windows, then why in the world can't Apple come up with an even more elegant solution for OSX?

Personally, I like this rumor a lot more some of the speculations that makes the front page. It's got some logic, if not a lot of facts, behind it.

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I guess they could, but Microsoft would be shooting lawsuits out of their buts. So, yes your right, technically, it would be possible.

21. Nutter macrumors 6502

... Because they don't want to. *gasp* You're confusing "can't" with "won't". There are plenty of things that Apple can do, but just because they can doesn't mean they will, or indeed should.

IMHO, giving every Mac sold the built-in ability to run Windows apps is not a good idea, because it will give many companies a reason to not bother developing Mac OS X versions of their software. That would be a disaster. I don't know about you, but there's a reason why I haven't used Classic for about 5 years...

22. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah yeah, we heard this during the rumors leading up to, and then subsequent switch to, Intel chips. Did you happen to see what Adobe released the other day? Native OS X versions of their software, including Premiere Pro which had been dropped for a few years.