Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
First of all, there are plenty of orphans that need adoption. Cloning makes no sense, except for farmers that want to duplicate their prize bull. Regardless of ethics or religous concerns, if you can't have a baby naturally, it wasn't meant to be. And you don't want to create a race of genetic rejects that can't reproduce like these people seeking cloning.

There is no scientific proof yet, but Clonaid now claims a lesbian couple is about to have a baby in Holland. I guess this is how Rosie will have her next baby.

Next, they will factory farm headless clones, so they can harvest their organs for all the rejects that have burnt out their heart, liver, or lungs from smoking, poor eating, drinking booze, and Hep. C.

Eventually, a new master race will be created from this cloning. A new species, a super cloned human, will rise fullfilling the idea of AH, but will have the most desirable traits, be superior in strength, and intelligence with a life span of hundreds of years. This new master clones will eventually destroy regular humans, or enslave us to work in sweat shops, burger joints, and do servant jobs like massages. To control us, they will sterilze regular humans at birth and limit our higher brain and speech functions turning us into androids.

"The Matix" was right, "Humans are a virus that must be destroyed..."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...03/ap_wo_en_po/eu_gen_belgium_human_cloning_2

Update:

Lesbian clone born:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030104/ts_nm/health_clone_dutch_dc_11

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Personally I just don't see the point of cloning... The overwhelming majority of advanced and semi-advanced species on earth reproduce sexually. There is a reason for this! Mixing DNA makes for good results. It greatly accelerates evolution! Any sort of mass cloning without bioengineered enhancements is just like putting a big speedbump infront of evolution.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Personally I just don't see the point of cloning... The overwhelming majority of advanced and semi-advanced species on earth reproduce sexually. There is a reason for this! Mixing DNA makes for good results. It greatly accelerates evolution! Any sort of mass cloning without bioengineered enhancements is just like putting a big speedbump infront of evolution.

It's not about reproduction. It's about being able to eventually clone a single body part when needed.

Say you get in a car wreck and lose your arm. Just have that arm cloned the remains of your previous arm. No complications, no rejection, because it is your arm. Same goes for organs such as heart, kidneys, liver, etc..

Also if they can clone human stem cells that will be the end of cancer and many other diseases.

The great majority of scientists wanting to clone do not want it just to make more people they want it for the reasons I listed above. It's just the wackos that want to actually reproduce themselves in the hopes that someday they can transfer there minds to the new body and in affect lengthen there lives. This is utter nuts because even if you clone yourself the brain will be different becaus it develops based on it's experiences in life. Each individual will be different cloned or not.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Nature regulate it self. Clone hummans are going to me rejected for sure. It is the most unatural thing ever made, not even plastic sirgury.

To clone oneself just shows your ego and lack how insecure you are about life. It is gonna be another way to express inferiority complex.

People are gonna have ahrd time dealing with cloned people and I do not thing they are gonna be any better than the rest, they are just a repetition of something that already exist, like mass production.

I wonder how would you feel if you find out you are the duplication of some one else? That mean you are not unique.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by mymemory
I wonder how would you feel if you find out you are the duplication of some one else? That mean you are not unique.

To start off let me say that I am totally against cloning for reproduction. I understand the need to clone a whole person in the process of eventually being able to just clone an organ.

What you say it kind of ignorant though because the only part of you that will not be unique is your body. Very much like a twin is. In fact a cell divided twin is in fact a clone just a natural one. Mentally though it's all about the persons life and upbringing. Even if you had a clone the clone of you a) would take a normal amount of time to develop into a full grown adult thus not actually even looking exactly like you at any one time and b) would be unique in there outlook on the world because of there own unique experiences in life.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Cloning puts an end to evolution - why would we ever be so conceited to think that we are at the pinacle of our evolutionary track.

D :(

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Michael Jackson scares people and is kind of rejected by society as a normal person, becasue he had a lot of plastic surgery and changed from black to white, so think about what society would think about a clone taking part in life as a normal person...

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Why don't they just adopt a baby? Gay couples can do that here in holland.

All this cloning really has to stop. It's a complete lack of respect for the uniqueness of human life. I know, it's still about reproduction, ensuring your genes to survive. But I think it's sick. These children will grow up having to play a roll, they are expected to like the same stuff as there "mother", to be just as smart. Or it's some sick way to do your life all over again, forcing the kid to not make the same mistakes. This is to much of a burden for children.
I hope there will be public discussions about this, and some new international laws to prevent cloning.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by MacBandit
What you say it kind of ignorant though because the only part of you that will not be unique is your body.

The "only" part? Sorry, but since when did our body not matter if it was different from someone else? Diversification not only spans our minds, but our eye color and hair color and entire races. Every face, every fingerprint, every voice, is unique. If you duplicate that you wipe out that uniqueness. Your own eyes are what identify other people's features. Without that, what are you going to do? Sit there and quiz them until you find out that they really are your best friend's clone? I see nothing ignorant with his statement.

Who knows... next thing you know they'll be transplanting people's memory into clones too... and then what?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well it'll finally answer that whole "is it genetic" thing... I cannot believe two lesbians would go this far, adoption or artificial insemination is definitely the preferred method among gay couples... i'd certainly never want myself cloned... the whole thing is creepy. i hope it never works, cloning can have nothing but bad results... the idea of replacable body parts is nice, but just not practical...

:(
pnw

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Hemingray

The "only" part? Sorry, but since when did our body not matter if it was different from someone else? Diversification not only spans our minds, but our eye color and hair color and entire races. Every face, every fingerprint, every voice, is unique. If you duplicate that you wipe out that uniqueness. Your own eyes are what identify other people's features. Without that, what are you going to do? Sit there and quiz them until you find out that they really are your best friend's clone? I see nothing ignorant with his statement.

Who knows... next thing you know they'll be transplanting people's memory into clones too... and then what?

I don't really consider the body much more then a carrier for your mind and spirit which can not be cloned.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I think some people haven't been reading my posts clear enough. I do not in anyway support the cloning of humans for reproduction. I think it is plain stupid.

They are well on there way to being able to clone body parts and organs though and I think that that is a really good thing.

Though as I said even if they do clone people for reproduction (god forbid it ever become mainstream) I don't see it as something to truly fear. Clones are completely different individuals. There personality is different and that is what makes someone an individual. They will have there own life experiences and may in no way look like the original person. Not to mention that they will be decades in age younger then the original DNA doner. Think about it though they could be into piercing and tats and different hair style etc.. Not only that but they could be fatter or thinner based on there athletic desires.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Re: Lesbian clone born!

Originally posted by peter2002
Regardless of ethics or religous concerns, if you can't have a baby naturally, it wasn't meant to be.
How can you make a statement like "it wasn't meant to be" without bringing religion into the conversation?

As for changing evolution -- has anyone heard the theory that humans have stopped evolving anyway? It goes something like, once upon a time the fittest survived and the weaker eventually died out. Now we are changing our surroundings so much that the weak can live relatively comfortable and long lives. The machines we have do a lot of the work for us that we used to do ourselves, and as a result we are less fit than we have ever been. An alarmingly large percentage of the first world population is obese.

I'm not saying I fully agree with this theory, nor am I suggesting we slaughter unhealthy babies at birth, but it is an interesting theory and really makes you think.

Centris Fan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2002
Upstate NY
Originally posted by Hemingray

I am a little skeptical about the idea that if you just "implanted memories" into a cloned body and brain that you would suddenly transfer conciousness. What proof of this is there. People lose memories, have amnesia, have brain damage, whatever and yet they still think of themselves as themselves, even with altered memories. It's not like a new or different memory comes in or out and suddenly poof you have this unique conciousness. Also, let's say someone attempted this feat while they were still alive. Would they suddenly be in two places at once? What, would they have double vision and only be able to move body parts simaltaneously? Or would your conciousness push the new one aside when you were snuffed out in the other body? No matter what, it seems like you are just creating twins of differing ages.. yeehaw.

dreamlance

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2002
wouldn't you like to know?
I can understand cloning specific parts for those on never-ending waitings lists for organ transplants and to reduce the chance of organ rejection. But cloning a full human degrades the value of life. It narrows the gene pool in a very dangerous way. Nature prunes over time. Man desires immediate results and often man has no clue what he is doing. With cloning and gene alterations come a whole hoarde of social problems, for all the good it can do. Would clones become second-class citizens or slaves? Would there be a limit on how many could be created?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by dreamlance
I can understand cloning specific parts for those on never-ending waitings lists for organ transplants and to reduce the chance of organ rejection. But cloning a full human degrades the value of life. It narrows the gene pool in a very dangerous way. Nature prunes over time. Man desires immediate results and often man has no clue what he is doing. With cloning and gene alterations come a whole hoarde of social problems, for all the good it can do. Would clones become second-class citizens or slaves? Would there be a limit on how many could be created?

You sound like a Vonnegut fan in the making. Go read some.

Cloning human beings, in the big picture, doesn't narrow the gene pool; it just stops the current. and would eventually make it shrink, as strains died off...

my biggest fear of cloned-organ harvesting is that it would be far easiest in the whole body sense, and i think that devalues human life. growing people without anything more than a brain stem... it just objectifies people so much...

:)
pnw

Centris Fan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2002
Upstate NY
I read a lot of Vonnegut myself, and yet I don't understand how what he said had anything to do with him...

Think the guy is overrated anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.