Lesbian Files Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawsuit Agai...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 21, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Out of curiosity, when did lesbian start getting capitalized? :)

Seriously, this seems somewhat difficult to defend, coming from a corporate memo....

3. macrumors 68040

Daveway

Ha. I'm sure my favorite lesbian....Madge Weinstein, will give us a thorough breakdown tomorrow.

Apple has this huge ego of having attractive people, it almost reminds me of Hitler.

4. macrumors 6502

Interesting that it says:
    Patterson alleges that one of Apple's managers wrote a memo describing her as a "rather obese-sized black lesbian."

It doesn't say she has the memo, unless she has the memo it's a case of "he said she said".

5. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    This will hurt Apple's 100% rating by the HRC organization, and if these allegations are true, it should rightfully hurt Apple.

And yes I also was laughing that lesbian was capitalized. Why do they even say it like that? Would you ever hear: "Today a straight came into work and......"? Couldn't they say a woman has filed suit over sexual orientation discrimination?

In other news, I noticed a new iTunes commercial during SNL but I couldn't pay attention because a Spaniard was talking my ear off :cool: :eek:

6. macrumors 6502

It always has been. Trick is, in contrast with little-l lesbian, a Lesbian comes from the Isle of Lesbos and can be of any gender or sexual orientation.

~J

7. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Because which choice of words will get the most hits? It's just a mild form of sensationalist journalism. :(

8. macrumors Core

woohoo! more work for Apple's Legal Team! :cool:

9. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I actually did know that piece of trivia. But I don't think this woman is from the Isle of Lesbos, is she?

10. macrumors Core

i know that i really shouldn't make light of these things though, this seriously could have a huge impact on Apple, and in many other areas as well. One thing i wondered about though was the salery difference. isn't that supposed to be confidential between workers and only the boss knows who gets paid what? thats what i have always been led to believe although i could be wrong.

11. macrumors member

Mindcrime

This is funny. It makes it sound like a habitual thing for Apple to be sued by lesbians. And as Kagetenshi mentioned, the capital 'L' makes one think of the people of Lesbos rather than the ladies of the sexual orientation. The article writer is a noob journalist, I guess.

"In other news, all sixteen citizens of the Isle of Lesbos are suing Apple for discrimination. Apparently the hip manufacturer of the iPod and the iMac computer failed to include a Lesbian input method under its flagship operating system's International Preferences."

12. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice! :D

13. macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

They must be bored after the kicking they gave Thinksecret - or maybe they just want a free holiday in Greece, digging up dirt

14. macrumors 6502

I like the phrase "genetic characteristic discrimination". Pretty much covers it all. It is an example of poor language skills that seems to be prevalent among journalists.

15. macrumors 68000

mklos

Its probably just some bitch that couldn't perform her job so Apple fired her. Then she found out that Apple had $7 Billion so she thought she'd sue Apple to get some. I'm sooooooooo sick of people doing that in this day and age.

16. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Or more likely a prerequisite for extortionist lawyers. ;)

17. macrumors 6502

I agree, unless she has a copy of this memo, there is no case, and she threw in everything she could think of. Being discrminated against for being of color, sexual orientation, and weight.

18. macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

If she had a copy of the memo, this would never had surface. Apple would have paid up, fired the guy that wrote the memo, and that would have been the end of the story.
    My guess is that Apple stand to lose much more money in PR loses than what an settlement would have costed then, if this woman would be able to present the memo at the trial. Since this apparently is going to court, she probably haven't got the memo.
    We probably have a case of she said he said, where the lawyers of the woman are trying to make as much waves as possible hoping that Apple is going to cave in.

19. NAG
    macrumors 68030

NAG

Indeed. I doubt they have anything. If she does have the memo, then I have no idea what Apple is thinking.

20. macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Did they say if she uses Windows now?

21. macrumors regular

montex

I've never understood why describing a woman for exactly what she is should be grounds for a lawsuit. Take the quote "rather obese-sized black lesbian." and ask yourself why it is wrong to use this description? Is the woman in question obese? If she is more than 25% over her ideal weight, she is. Is she black? Maybe African American would have been more politically correct, but I know of no negative connotation in using the word black. And if she is a lesbian, why should it be wrong to call her that? The word lesbian has no negative meaning as far as I can tell.

But we are now supposed to believe that calling a woman who is a "rather obese-sized black lesbian" exactly that should be grounds for a million dollar lawsuit. According to this logic, there is absolutely no difference between "rather obese-sized black lesbian" and "fat-pig, ni**er dyke".

If I were a business owner I wouldn't hire women at all. There is simply too much of a risk of offending them and finding yourself in a frivolous lawsuit like this one. The message to corporate America is that you risk your companies future by hiring women and minorities. Nice going ladies!

22. macrumors 6502

I can see the argument against description based on sexual orientation because while you can look in a room and identify who is black, and you can usually look in a room and identify who is moderately obese, you cannot with any conclusiveness look in a room and identify who is a lesbian. It's an unnecessary detail.

~J

23. macrumors Core

i agree that there is nothing wrong with describing people just the way they are. thats fine. but it all depends upon contex and the reason why you are describing this person. if there is no reason to then in a corporate atmosphere you shouldn't be. there should be a solid reasoning behind why these terms are being used in the first place, otherwise a personal description of a person has no bearing or weight on any matter unless its derrogatorry

my .02

24. macrumors member

It would have hurt Apple either way. If they had just settled than it would eventually leak out that they made the settlement regarding sexual discrimination, or should I say genetic discrimination? and it would have been just as bad. Same as the recent Wendy's thing, the company gets hurt either way.

25. macrumors 65816

asif786

wow, this sounds typically like apple to me. it wouldnt suprise me at all if this memo surfaced. numerous people have said that apple has some of the worst corporate politics in the corporate world.

also, with regards to settlement, do you *have* to settle? some people do actually have principles and will take the matter through the courts no matter how much money they're offered.

and if anyone thinks apple/steve jobs is squeaky clean, read apple confidential, the second coming of SJ, or iCon. you'll learn that mr. jobs isn't a saint at all.