Less Progys = More Stability

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illegalprelude, Dec 26, 2005.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hey you guys, im wondering, I have a bunch of programs that I dont really use anymore like:
    Stickies (its in widgets now)
    Sherlock
    Quicksilver

those 3 actually it I think. is it just better to remove em? 3 less programs on or it just makes no diff.? thanks in advance :cool:

2. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

If the programs are not running then they are just sitting on the disk occupying disk space.

If they are running then they might be consuming a very small fraction of CPU time but most likely they are blocked waiting for user input. In which case the only impact is the amount of RAM that they occupy. But if you are not using the programs then there is no need to run them. (Make sure they are not in your startup list.)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As mrichmon says, OSX isn't like Windows in that all apps will use resources irrespective of whether they're open. Most apps (with some system-based exceptions) will use no resources other than a small amount of hard drive space so it's okay to just keep them unless you need that extra disk space desperately.

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

nope. minute programs so disk space is no issue what so ever. guess ill be keeping them then :) thanks :D

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, you may as well keep them. I know you'll probably never use them though. :)