Lessons from the iPod

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 3, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    interesting, only time will tell how well this will pan out though, could be useful, especially if teachers record their lectures and allow the students to download them for reviewing..... i would imagine that could be a useful way of incorporating the iPod..... but what do i know
  3. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    These iPods-for-schools ideas are stupid, in my opinion. No one's convinced me YET that they're "worth it".

- an iPod's primary use is listening to large amounts of music, not last week's lectures.
    - Many incoming students may already have iPods
    - If this sort of thing is desired, then the teachers/univerities should simply require that each lecture be recorded, MP3'd and available for download to computers, iPods or other mp3 players.
    - The whole idea of being able to listen to a lecture later would cause someone like me to be more likely to skip the class.

Of course, built-in podcasting does add a bit of relevance to this idea, I still believe it's fundamentally a waste of money, with a low education-to-dollar ratio (and, ironically, a higher use of illegal filesharing networks on the schools own systems)