Lessons learned on what not to do with your PB

Discussion in 'Community' started by sickboy_osX, Oct 14, 2002.

1. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

So I learned pretty quickly about 3 months ago to NEVER EVER work on a powerbook Drunk when trying to correct Issues with hardware. And if you do decide to do it while intoxicated, the Long Black screws on a Pismo 500 go on the sides, and not through the middle because I promise you will not be happy with the cosmetic surgery that would occour afterwords.

As you might be able to tell I am looking forward to getting my powerbook back this week! (On Thurday) Because I am sick and tired of having to use a Windows Box to do everything on!

Anyways this was a public service announcement brought to you by ME!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Your username fits you perfectly!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p simpleton.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have been a techie for three years and the more i learn, the less i really know

a first year techie or a high end user will just jump into a laptop, but it is a very tricky thing to do...especially concerning the screws...you can crack components by using the wrong size screw and you can also lose crucial screws

my partner was the dell, compaq, and apple roving tech for the county and he used to do the laptop work...only two other techies would touch the laptops and one tossed the work onto my partner and the other hated, just abosolutely hated anything to do with computers in any way...just a job, you know:p

5. blogo macrumors 6502

Nothing wrong has happened to my laptop even when i have opened it several times and have had a little fun.

6. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

that's some potentially expensive fun.

I had to put a new HD in my TiBook, and I was so nervous I couldn't stand it. I was shaking like I had epilepsy.

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

there's all levels to this techie stuff

i know this network admin who used to be an electronic engineer and he could solder a microchip (tape pin) into a laptop motherboard using a jeweler's loop to see...one slip and you blow it

of course that was his job in silicon valley

i know another techie who made the first pc emulator i know of, way before virtual pc or dave or whatever, and he could read pc 5.25" inch disks on his mac or apple...i don't know if he sold this technology or gave it away since he was just a teenager at the time:p

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Shouldn't have gotten the tibook in the 1st place. New ones should come out soon enough. Don't drive when drunk either :D...

9. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

i learned never to carry my tibook around and show it to people. considering i dont have a tibook, people often call me a freak and throw trash at me, when i present it to them proudly.

10. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I have a Wallstreet Powerbook G3 that i had to take apart to fix the fan. It was not under warranty so i just figured i would do it myself (i have built and taken apart computers before but no laptops). To get to the fan you have to disassemble the case and take the screen off (well you do not have to take the screen off but it makes it alot easier). Anyway the fan is at the very bottom of the case so you have to take most every card out to get to it. Once i messed around with the fan i put the laptop back together and tried to start it up, but got no response. Finally, after taking the thing apart and putting it back together a few times it turned out that the cpu had not been firmly seated. The cpu card is tough to push in on the wallstreet so i had not pushed it in quite far enough because i feared i would break it (on mine you have to press really hard). After i reassembled it it worked fine but it was very scarely for a while.

11. sickboy_osX thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am proud to announce that my baby is home.

It is nice to have it home, I have missed my baby...now if Only I could make the resolution smaller than 1024x\768

:-D

-

12. job macrumors 68040

job

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I will never are going to leave one of my Piamos along again (I have 2). The other day some one with a really bad intention spil his drink on one of them. For some reason the computer still working just find (it is Apple :D ).

I'm gonna be really paranohic now on with my equipment.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yo no comprende. Yo no think that esta el wordo. Spanish skillz right there for you.... :D