"Let Freedom Reign"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

At the Republican convention, many people were holding signs saying "let freedom reign". I was struck by the irony in the statement. How does one let freedom "reign"? Freedom doesn't "reign", freedom rings. Monarchs and [/I]dictators reign. Those signs basically say, "let freedom rule", which almost by definition, it can't.

Is anyone else amused or afraid by the fact that the Republicans have surreptitiously slipped in this word of power that is very different from the original in it's meaning and context?

2. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Yes, this is disgusting. "Let Freedom Reign" basically means "Let America Rule," since the USA is commonly known as "The Land of the Free."

Essentially, I think whether or not they know it, they are fighting for American foreign policy to rule the world as a capitalist empire, not unlike the reign of Rome long ago. This isn't really knew, as the Reagan and Bush Sr. administrations (and probably many more conservative leaders before my time) worked under similar principals.

I find "Let Freedom Reign" a twisted, absurd statement.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You caught that too, huh?

They must be trying to get us used to the idea of a monarchy. ;)

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

so it's only a matter of time untill signs with "divide et impera" apear ? ;)

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

For all that y'all are twisting the intent of the signs, the thought is pretty much correct. It's all about governing, right? About control of the government? And governments always seek to make all of us square pegs fit into round holes. You, me, Joepoop the ragman...A bureaucrat's life is easier when people don't think for themselves...

:), 'Rat

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I was too, especially at the Republican Convention :rolleyes:

Yeah yeah, go ahead and flame me...

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I noticed this a couple months ago. It comes from the note GWB passed to Condoleeeeza when the "handover" of power was completed back in June (or whenever it was). He, drawing on his amazing ability to speak and write incorrectly at nearly every turn, wrote "let freedom reign" on the note that was passed to him and passed it back to Condoleeza.

I guess someone decided they liked it and decided to run with it.

8. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Only (apparently) those actually living in the USA think of the USA as "The Land of the Free"

Those of us who live elsewhere realize how "unjust" and "unfree" your systems and government really are. Some of us are getting pretty tired of your "victim" mentality and your aggressive acts and interference in the affairs of others.

It's time that the great USA realizes that your form of "freedom" is not necessarily the answer to all the world's problems.

I can't believe that GWB and his "advisors" were so stupid as to think that if they got rid of Sadaam, there wouldn't be someone else waiting in the wings to take his place!

I just returned from a trip to Europe. Upon boarding US bound flights, I was body x-rayed, full-contact body searched, my baggage was opened and inspected etc. Paranoia was rampant. However, upon boarding flights from within the US bound for Europe and Canada, there was hardly any attention paid to what I might be carrying or concealing. I found that curious.

m

9. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Yes, I agree with you; just because I live in America doesn't mean I think this way. Right now, less than half of the voting population of the USA thinks like this, mainly because they are fooled by the current president's words.

This is precisely why I am out protesting the president and fighting for change every minute of the day.

You are preaching to the choir.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

winwintwo, show me a time or think of a subject where the US didn't/doesn't go overboard. We've never, ever been able to keep that old pendulum anywhere near the middle.

Puritanism or "Free love". Factory ownership by one person vs. unions. Isolation vs. meddling in world affairs. Rugged individual vs. Victimitis. It's back and forth all the time. I guess it's a case of, "Well, that's what we do!"

We figure out some problem to worry about and then declare war on it; we gotta have a Czar to oversee it--and then we gripe 'cause each and every one of us knows better how to do the job.

Our society goes from complacency to paranoia in a heartbeat, faster'n my ex-wife could go into nag-mode. Right now we're all eat up with paranoia. Don't believe it? Just read the Kerry/Bush threads on this forum. :D

'Rat

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Since when do unions own the factories 'Rat?

The world is not so black and white. There are degrees of swing on that pendulum. Clinton's foreign policy was far less imperialistic than Bush's, but Clinton was far from an isolationist. You seem to be saying you can be one or the other, but moderation is impossible. The logical conclusion is that extremism must be embraced because there is no middle ground. I find that unacceptable.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, c'mon...All I'm saying is that the pendulum keeps swinging back and forth, and we get all excited when we're out at the limits. Too much amplitude, is all.

Naw, in the factory/union bit, it began with the workers having no say, and then getting back somewhat too far the other way. Then, of course, it headed back toward the center.

Think about how things have "growed like Topsy" in our foreign doings with the first Gulf War, the Balkans and now Iraq. It's all part of a do-gooder GloboRoboCop view. We've been meddling too much, IMO, and the overall national mood is heading toward a retreat from that. Another IMO is that it's not a liberal/left thing, although they're more vocal at present. At some point down the road we'll probably be back in the 1920s/1930s isolationism condition--for a while.

I've no idea whatsoever about why the pendulum swings have the amplitude that they appear to...

'Rat