Let me introduce you...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iSaint, Sep 22, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

to our GOP candidate for president 2008. Governor of Mississippi Haley Barbour, who was head of the GOP for years, is being discussed as a viable candidate. Here's an article in our state newspaper about his possibly running against Hillary.

glink

While you're there, take time to go to the main page of the paper and click on the link to photos of Katrina damage.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting...but is he enough of a neo-con to keep the Washington bunch happy? If he's not, Karl Rove (whosever campaign he's running at that time) will arrange to torpedo him.

3. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

He's extremely popular and well-known inside the belt. He's genuine (as politicians can be) and might just be the GOP surprise everyone's looking for. He's tough enough to respond to any criticism and has good people surrounding him.

4. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I guess the question is, will he play nice with the neo-conservatives (if he is not one himself). If he won't, I don't think they will care if he is Republican or Democrat, they will go after him. They might be more discreet about it since he is a republican, but they won't want someone outside their ideology in power.

5. katchow macrumors 6502

they tried to downplay this, but which is worse, a former lawyer or a former lobbyist?

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

He's well plugged into the GOP machine, being the former party head. I think he'd have a good chance of victory. I still think Jeb will run though, but maybe not in '08.

Oh I should mention that I think Haley Barbour would be about as bad a president as Warren G. Harding. (KKK member.)

7. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

No hate groups in Haley's home town...plenty elsewhere.

link

elsewhere

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

9. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I can't honestly say, though I'm sure he supports his party's views. Here's a link to his web site with interviews, etc., in the content.

He was just on CNN with Wolf Blitzer downplaying the need for the billions of federal dollars to rebuild from Katrina damage. There will be a lot of restructuring and rethought in the way things are done on the coast - in Mississippi at least - and I believe for the better.