Let me vent my anger

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JCorn2, Jul 14, 2004.

1. JCorn2 macrumors member

Jul 14, 2004
    Ok... I know I may sound negative, but what is Apple doing with its education site? I am going to a private high school next year and need a powerful laptop within a budget. I would love to order off the education site but wait... I can't! Why is it that only college students deserve to be in this hierarchy of discounts when we few boarding school kids have to pay up the ying-yang? My only other complaint is that the G5 powerbook isn't out yet but that is lower on my bad list. Well thanks for listening...
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    <never mind - I'd forgotten K-12 discounts are only for school employees>

K-12 students are typically under 18 and perhaps there is some legal aspect to the lack of discount. Or maybe they figure too many people either are K-12 or have kids K-12 and so would manage to snag the discount. Apple'd lose money if too many people qualified.

Just out of curiosity, why do you "need a powerful laptop" for high school?
  3. JCorn2 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 14, 2004

Hey JSW,
    I actually was thinking about attending Phillips Andover... right in your backyard, eh? Well thanks for the clarity... And about the power... 1 word... gaming. Oh yeah and ISight and tons of word apps etc. Thanks again
  4. macnews macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2003
    Apple education site has BOTH a higher ed (college or university) and K-12 (high school tends to be grades 9 (or 10) - 12, thus falling in to that category. Now, if your school isn't listed then that is something to ask your school. Then again, if you call (I know, not as easy as online) the Apple education store 1-800-MY-APPLE.

As to the getting someone to buy, there are ways around the apple requirements. I know a few people who have bought via the home school route and others who have done the higher ed route, despite being in high school but maybe taking some college level courses (or for credit). You may also find someone who meets the requirements to purchase at the education level that does qualify.

[edit: had to clarify the student aspect]
  5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    As for the OP, see if you can get a teach to help you buy the G5. Or other it online and hope they don't check you.
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    hey just because he/she is going to a private high school does NOT mean that they are rich or have plenty of money. sometimes the private schools are just better than the public ones in the area in which you live, yeah my sister and i were sent to private schools, but thats because the alternative public schools were pieces of crap in comparison, my parents barely scraped by.....dont judge or assume people have plenty of money just because of where they are going to school, ect
  7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
  8. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    ...and we have the results of vented anger - more anger.

If you need a powerful laptop for gaming, you do not need an education discount. You need to pay a gamers premium. Kids in high school do not get the education discount, do they? If not, then everything is in line.
  9. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    I would recomend you get a cheap ($500-$700) PC for gaming and then get an iBook ($750 refurb) for everything else. It will cost you less for both ($1250 - $1450 vs. $1600. And the PC will game better than the PB
  10. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001
    i purchased my powerbook through apple's online education store. my private high school showed up and i purchased my laptop at a discount through that store. i guess i broke the agreement by not being an employee of the school, but if you really want the discount...just order online. they didn't check if i was an employee and i doubt they would check if you are one.

and you don't have to be rich to attend a private school, my family isn't the richest, but i was still able to attend hotchkiss, we just had to watch our money.
  11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    the reason they dont offer the EDU to student K-12 is most of them live at home where there is a family computer. If the family can afford to get the kid his/her own computer they really dont need the edu discount. Borading school most family have money if they can afford this.

The other reason is they can not make a law abiding contract with someone under the age of 18 and if you are in k-12 chances are you are under the age of 18 so they can not sign a contract with you.
  12. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    if you old enough, enroll at a junior college class for the fall then buy your laptop. after that, drop the course and get your refund.
  13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm not feeling any sympathy, but I hope venting made you feel better.