Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonlanghoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Hi all

I was wondering: Is it possible to setup af PC or Mac so that it acts just like an AppleTV? Actually installing the AppleTV software onto a 'normal' computer. Most importantly that it can sync between an iTunes library on another computer and itself. As AppleTV does it.

My reasons for asking are the lack of 1080p and optical drive in the AppleTV, so was thinking of letting a Mac mini or so do the media center job instead. Please let me know if you know how to do this!

Best regards
Jon

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
my understanding is: no. The only device in which you can use ATV software is the ATV. I haven't heard of any "hackintosh" type hacks that would let you do this.

Personally, the lack of ATV software is what keeps me from using a Mac Mini (and the price)

jonlanghoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Damn.

Guess I'll have to wait untill Apple (hopefully) get their act together and give us an updated AppleTV (1080p, movie rental in Europe and maybe Bluray).

Maybe I'll buy a used one in the meantime...

jonlanghoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Oh cool! You know more about it?

Can you play DVD movies then? In that case it would be even better than th actual ATV! :)

Or is it 100% like ATV (which of course doesn't have an optical drive)..?

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
Oh cool! You know more about it?

Can you play DVD movies then? In that case it would be even better than th actual ATV! :)

Or is it 100% like ATV (which of course doesn't have an optical drive)..?

I have not really played around with it very much.

I assume that most of the third party plugins work and that you can probably run Boxee too, which should allow playing DVD's.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
As the Apple TV has no interface for playing DVDs how would this work exactly?

Because the software already has the DVD framework loaded. It just needs a physical interface, and a mod to the software to use the framework.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
Can Boxee sync with your external iTunes library as AppleTV does it? Cause then I might aswell use that...

It does not sync, it just lets you play the itunes folder content that is local or streamed when connected via a network share. I think that somebody is trying to write a plugin for Boxee to actually read the itunes library itself so that you can see playlists etc.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

chas0001 said:
Yes you can with an application called ATV4MAC. The only problem is that it only works with Tiger and not Leopard. This is due to the fact that the Apple TV software essentially runs on a cut down version of Tiger.

Check it out here : http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/archive/2008/07/10/apple-tv-21-screenshots-atv4mac-21.html

I've used ATV4Mac before. It replaces FrontRow with the ATV interface. I didn't use it long, since I have an ATV already.

I think most of the addons work, but I don't think you'll need much more than ATV-Files or NitoTV since a true Tiger under the hood will provide most of what ATV lacks (meaning AFP and attached USB/FW drives, etc...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.