Let the Browser War Commence...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by celaurie, Mar 8, 2003.

1. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

BBC News has allowed one of its journalists to put forward an article pointing out that Internet Explorer is not the only browser...

Feels like some is rattling the sabre! :eek:

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

they don't mention chimera...or camino now...

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I thought IE was just fine...great, in fact... until Safari v60 came out. Nary a problem, and even though a beta it's VERY nice and it will get even better. I haven't used IE in about a month and don't miss it at all.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

IE is total dog food compared to Camino(was chimera aka Navigator not to be confused with netscape). Safari and Camino are very close in overall quality but due to the lack of tabs in the current public release Camino still has the #1 spot INMHO.

5. Freakk123 macrumors regular

About a month before Safari came out, I began to expiriment with browsers besides IE. About two weeks, before, Internet Explorer lost its place on my dock to Chimera. Then came SAFARI! Its been my primary browser since then. I use Chimera every so often. But once Safari leaves beta, and becomes a full program, Chimera will get thrown into the trash. In fact, that will most likely happen as soon as Safari gets tabs. IMHO, it'll be the best browser... Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but very soon.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

Safari v62 and v64 have tabs ;)
    however, it's as difficult as hell to try and get them online :rolleyes:
    Chimera's in the trash (for me) but camino was so irresistable i just had to try it.
    I still like my safari with tabs :)

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i always use camino, its fast and reliable, as soon as safari gets released with tabs then i'll probably switch to that.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Me too.

9. Steradian macrumors 6502

well

Im gunna keep running, IE, Safari (w/tabs :D), and Camino until june-ish then i will make a firm decison on which i shall use, but only time will tell and until then they will stay firmly in my dock :). It's good for people to know of alturnitives to thier defalut ms browser...any sort of acknowlegement of doing something different, is always good

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Still OmniWeb for me. I don't like the Gecko engine, it renders some things way too big and others way too small. Safari's decent, and better than Chimera/Camino (why'd they change the name anyway?), but I use some of the features of OmniWeb, such as bookmark updating, voice control surfing, a network activity log, a separate text window for forum posts, and a great source viewer, way too much to give them up. I probably will never end up using Safari as my primary browser, unless it gets a more robust interface, which Apple had to sacrifice for speed. For those who use it, great, but I'll continue using OmniWeb.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Chimera is the name for a Unix browser. Legal issues.

12. MaxArturo macrumors member

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

The war used to have more competition. Before Safari, I was switching back and forth with many different browsers (Mozilla, IE, OmniWeb etc.) because of various issues:

Mozilla: After crashing, the cache came along with it. This is not fun for those with dial-up. Also, I had frequent scrolling issues, in which after scrolling, the bar would continue to move with the mouse.

IE: Slow and sometimes crashes. But mostly slow.

OmniWeb: Not exactly fast, not exactly free.

Before Safari was enacted, sometimes browser wars became browser flamewars. Check out this thread.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5524