Let the (Marklar) games begin!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by e-coli, Jan 20, 2003.

1. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Microsoft offers CD copy limits

Click Me

so sorry for windows folks. :D :p

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

3. dmilla_1 macrumors newbie

Theory being that as the public grows tired of increased privacy restrictions within the Windows world (this is probably just the tip of the iceberg)....the door would be open for another OS from a major player to enter the x86 market. Enter Marklar (OS X for x86) and Steve's re-conquering the world (figure of speech not a stab at Steve). Question is can Apple resist whatever powers are influencing Microsoft and avoid some of the same restrictions?

Thats my take on it....I'm sure their is more to it....

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Let the (Marklar) games begin!

We have a winner...

and a bunch of losers.

Attached Files:

5. jaykk macrumors 6502a

It seems like Apple may make inroads into PC area

What if Apple releases Safari for Windows? I bet there will be a lot of switchers :) i strongly belive apple have a better chance of competing directly against M$ now than ever :) with Unix bases core and competing iApps( Safari, KeyNote), apple is all set for a big step :) I doubt OS X on Intel will take place, but i strongly belive Apple's market share is going to be much better looking in few years

6. Hozie macrumors newbie

See, the good thing with Microsoft anti-piracy software is that you just KNOW that it'll be cracked by some smart kid about two weeks before it comes out :D

7. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Big Problem...

Unfortunately, this may be a good thing for Microsoft.

The way I interpret this article, Microsoft has developed software which will allow specific types of copy-protected CDs, which can't be played on a standard computer, to be played (but not copied). Any computers not using this software would not be able to play those CDs AT ALL.

If that were true, and the recording industry adopted this, Apple (and Linux) users would not be able to use/play those CDs in our computers unless Microsoft (or someone else) developed Mac/Linux versions of this software.

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Just like the XP product activation and the SP1 service pack!

Classic things to remember.

9. dmilla_1 macrumors newbie

That's a great point szark, after my initial post I too took another look at the article. One could see this as a way for Microsoft to increase their grasp on the world, especially if the Microsoft's proprietary technology is "adopted" by the recording industry...:(

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

There's no way this will last. it was stupid of MS to even go there. it will be cracked, and fast. For every talented developer MS has, there are a hundred on the 'net working against him-- and they're not bound by contracts and rules and crap. they'll do what it takes to get around this, i'd imagine it will last approx. a month before they declare it a failure, prompting the music industry execs to collectively drop a load again.

should be fun to watch :)

11. Kid Red macrumors 65816

That's fine. I will look for the list of said CDs, buy them all one by one and return them all one by one claiming that they won't play on my computer. We'll see how many stores like to have CDs returned everyday.

12. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I think the Marklar project has more to do with Apple not wanting to put all their eggs in one basket. Motorola's lack of progress has made Apple realize that they must not rely on one vendor to supply their CPU chip.

On the flipside, this may be the same reason AMD is working with Apple. Sooner or later Windows will fall behind and x86 chip makers will be looking for a new OS. At the moment these guys depend alot on Windows which gives Microsoft alot of say so on what goes on. It only makes sense that a chip maker would have an alternate OS.

On the subject of the recording industry. I think these folks should grow up and act like adults. They are upset because people are misusing their products. Which is fine. I would be too. What they do is cry to the law makers and computer industry "Make them stop it". What they need to do is find other ways within the industry to solve the problem. They could develope some new way to deliver the material. No one said they can only use CD. Or how about some sort of scramble/descramble technology like satelite and cable companies use.

If Microsoft wins, here is what I see. "You want to listen to this CD? Fine, you'll have to get Windows to do that." I'm sure there's an antitrust law involved somewhere.

my 2¢

13. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

What these jackasses are forgetting about music music CD piracy is this... You can still run a cord out of your CD player directly into a mic port and get a recording. Now granted it may not be as good as a digital recording but the copying will continue...

Attached Files:

14. Bear macrumors G3

What about....

How will this copy protection interact with current CD players? If it doesn't work with existing audio equipment, I suspect that people will stop buying CDs for a while - at least ones that use this copy protection. I know I don't need new stereo equipment.

Then again since a lot of music I buy is from independent labels and such, this probably wouldn't affect me as much as it would people who buy mainly from the big labels.

15. Mr. MacPhisto macrumors 6502

Yes, but Apple or Linux users could hack the copy protection and find a way around it - and do it legally. If someone owns a CD, then they also own the right to listen to that purchased piece of property on any machine they want, including a Mac. Thus, you could legally have a workaround so you can listen to YOUR property wherever you are. Apple could package a workaround with their OS. They woul dhave to include a liability waiver and a statement saying that the user would only use the workaround to listen to what they own, but, past that, Apple should be in the clear.