"Let U.S. do its job, Hutchison tells FB"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by KingYaba, Aug 30, 2006.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

For those who don't know, members in the Farmersbranch city council will undergo discussions on their illegal immigrant problems. For example, propose legislation that will punish employers, and deny social services for illegals. The debate/discussion will take place in the fall after several lawyers overlook to see any unconstitutionality of the various proposed laws.

What bothered me was Hutchison's reaction.
    It is the responsibility of the Federal government. The problem is they aren't doing a damn thing about it! Here in Texas this is a very huge problem. You know it's bad when the official language of several boarder towns in Texas has made the official language Spanish. (yet somehow it's racist to make the official language english)

Most Texans would agree that we need to address the boarder, immigration issue. Most Texans would agree that the federal government isn't doing jack ****. So it is up to us to get things done. State and local governments will have to step up, and fill in for the federal government's inaction. Better than doing nothing and wait for La la land (Washington DC) to do something.

Sen. Hutch is totally wrong. FB ought to pass laws regarding this issue. Texas ought to pass it's own laws regarding these issues as well. Condeming FB saying they should stepdown is rediculous. How can she say sit and do nothing while the fed. gov. simply twidles their thumbs and gets nothing passed. Way to keep in touch with her fellow Texans...

(The boarder issue agitates the right-leaning part of me)

2. iGary Guest

iGary

If the Chinese can build a great wall....

20 feet high, concrete - the whole border. :cool:

3. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'd rather go after employers and completely deny social services and such to illegal immigrants. If they can't get a job here, then why come at all? No need for a huge 20ft wall. I'd like to see the soldiers come from Iraq, and be placed upon the Canadian, Mexican boarder.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Well when I used to work for Marriott, we were not allowed to let ANYONE even start work before we verified their credentials. Period. Don't know what happens these days...

I think a wall would be more effective.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Our Govt has turned into a monster that could care a less about the people's wishes even to the point of upholding our own laws that they are sworn to defend. The Fed is a mess, big beauracratic mess thats more interested in bombing the crap out of Iraqi's then fixing NewOrleans but hey thats why we elected George Im a christian Bush.:rolleyes:

6. iGary Guest

iGary

So what's new? :D

I do not think, however, that immigration is a front-burner issue.

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

... they'd only walk across the Canadian border and go into hiding.

8. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It is for Texas. Don't know about other states. Gov. Perry sits around and does nothing regarding boarder issues too. They all say lets wait for the federal government to make up it's mind. The problem is they won't.

9. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Who would build this wall, illegals or perhaps prison labor?
    :D

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Now there's some irony. You're bitching because they don't speak English?

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Haliburton, using illegals... a cool $billion

12. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

At least the Mexicans are not Muslims that want to kill everyone thats not hip to their views. Having said that, as the owner of a cleaning company in Ny, if the Mexicans try to expand their "under the table" cleaning businesses to the north then they will meet the Business end of my colt AR-15 assault rifle.

p.s. in Texas Mexicans do a lot of work as cleaners and janitors.

13. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'm bitching because A) people get accused of being racists for wanting the official language to be English. Yet when these towns change the language to Spanish, there is no racial accusations. B) It just goes to show how immigration is getting out of control. It was mostly illegal immigrants who were pushing for that legislation. Now if it was purely legal citizens that wanted Spanish as their language, that's a different story. So long as others like myself could dictate the official language of let's say Dallas be English.

What's your point?

One would hope the crackdown on construction companies would prevent such a thing.

14. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Nothing about draft dodging chicken hawks. You're going soft DHM.:D

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, that'll help.

16. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

If anyone trys to take my business away buy using illegal workers then they will be up **** creek without a boat.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya, cuz that what tough-a$$ people like us do when we get in trouble..we kill people.Attack!! Or call the cops and report them...(personal i like your killing people idea better):rolleyes:

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Hey, if you're going to claim that some Texan border towns have made their official language Spanish, you need to post a link. To a credible site, of course.

And some people bitch and moan when Texan's can't be understood. Y'all speak pretty durned funny down thar and believe you me, having grown up in the Midwest and west coast, whenever I go to Texas I can't help but feel that I'm in a furrin' country.

Trust me, nobody in Dallas speaks English unless they grew up elsewhere.

Illegal immigration is a problem but you're not going to solve it by your knee jerk reactionary ways.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Illegal immigrants are an important part of this country's economy. Let's not delude ourselves, California grapes, Arizonan cotton, and loads of products from Texas come cheaply because of Latin American (and East Asian) immigrants.
    We have made a choice to have them in this country because we want cheap produce, cheap babysitting, and cheap maid services. As a nation we have paid these people in cash so they can avoid Social Security taxes and then we bitch that they don't pay those taxes. And yet, even as we accuse them of leeching on the economy we ignore the significant amounts of sales taxes they pay.
    There are regions in the US where people speak German in place of English, however no American city should have an official language. Business should be conducted in English, but only because that's the Lingua Franca of the country. That's just useful and ensures that citizens will have the most gain.

ferretboy, advocating violence to protect whatever hillbilly business you've got may seem like a fantastic idea, but frankly your jibberish is the reason I question the logic behind the 2nd Ammendment.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Apparently, the town of El Cenizo, TX voted to make official business conducted in both English and Spanish. This seems to be the only case.

Link

Apparently, this was covered by Reuters and a cable news network, but I haven't found another link.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The UK and Spain have seen huge influxes of eastern Europeans since they opened their doors. Without this influx, their economies would be sputtering along due to their low birth rates. It's not only the US who needs immigrants, but the rest of the Western world. I can't help but think that those EU countries who have been overly cautious on this matter will pay a huge economic price in the future. I can only imagine the financial nightmare that Japan faces as it has one of the lowest birthrates in the world. Japan also is not at all interested in granting citizenship to non-Japanese. Xenophobia comes with a huge cost.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, that's a lot different than what yaba claimed. Thanks for the link.

23. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Story

This is somewhat different but it definitely underscores the value of immigrants.

You don't have to tell me that the majority of Brits emigrating to Spain likely have a different socioeconomic background compared to the vast majority of illegal Hispanic emigrants bound for the US.

However, the EU open borders policy has dramatically changed Europe's workforce for the better.

What's more, Spain has only been out from under Franco's yoke since 1974 and with the help of the EU has become a thriving although not trouble free world class economy.

Much of the US policy concerning Latin America is written by the multinationals as well as the IMF and World Bank, intent on punishing Latin America for their un-American ways. Wouldn't it be better to actually support education, family planning and economic development rather than impose unrealistic financial burdens on developing countries?

The problem isn't going to go away by building the great wall of southern tejas. It's only going to go away when the pressures down south have been eliminated. Like my Grandma always used to say, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I totally understand your frustration and yet the two issues are so intractably intertwined. Legal immigrants typically do not take the same kinds of jobs that illegal immigrants do and this is a relationship created because of pay rates (illegals are cheap, legals want unions and stock-options). Legal immigration would have the same effects, such as changing the official language of a city, as illegal immigrants and frankly even many of the health-care issues have more to do with the indigence of the illegal population rather than their legal status.

What we have is very poor nations to the south exporting their work-force in exchange for American money, and that creates friction. We have to understand how important illegal immigrants are to this economy and then we can actually take steps to deal with the legal issues.