Let us remember the good ol days -Marathon-

Discussion in 'Games' started by Forgotten Relic, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Forgotten Relic macrumors newbie

Anyone have memories of Bungies Marathon they want to share? or opinions of the game?

I personally think it's the best first person shooter we have still... mostly due to the complex story line, though truth being told the graphics and sound were extremly well done for a game of the early-mid 90's.

2. woxel1 macrumors member

Frogblast the Ventcore!

Still the best multiplayer money can buy. :insert obligatory Aleph One reference here: Route 66, baby!

3. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

I remember installing the first Marathon from 4 floppies onto my IIsi. It ran better than most games would run today on a G5.

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

7. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Marathon 4 would be cool. Just because it's a game that windows users would drool over.. :)

My computer wouldn't be able to run it, tho..

Edit: Hmm.. Downloaded Marathon Infinity. No OS X. Bummer!

8. woxel1 macrumors member

:continues to vigorously point at Aleph One:

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never played Marathon. tried playing the free trilogy once but it needed Classic mode, no OS9 installed here.

i was always a Doom, Quake and Duke 3D fan :)

suppose i can join hands here and sing about old games being better though.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dammit, how many times does it have to be said: Aleph One, Aleph One, Aleph One....

--Eric

11. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Back in that time I was playing EV. I think I may have tried marathon on my performa once. That being said about 2 years ago a fried introduced me to it and I loved it. Great story line still has me thinking and wishing for a marathon 4.

12. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Still have about 35 multiplayer game films and nearly 20 levels I made in my Infinity folder. For the longest time, that was the choice game for multiplayer matches, booting out Warcraft, Starcraft, and even Unreal Tournament for a while.

I absolutely loved the ability to make levels and physics with relative ease (and some quite fancy stuff if you knew what you were doing).

But if they made a Marathon 4, I think I might rather have Wideload Games make it rather than the Halo-bloated M$ Bungie.

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Marathon brings me back to my college days in '91-'95. My friends and I discovered the full version of Marathon on the network at my University. We installed it on Macs in the library and played for hours while working a project.

Here's to many hours lost to Marathon :eek:

14. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea i found the dreamcast release of the marithon trilagy it does kick ass its a pre curser to halo but not the story but some of the elements just look at some of the guns in marathon and halo 1

15. dethl macrumors regular

One of my favorite multiplayer games. Played it with my older brother and his friends back in the day. Completely freaked em out when I memorized all the spawn points on a map and ran around with the dual shotguns blasting them all away right after they respawned.

Bungie shamelessly copied things from Marathon over, espically the missile launcher. If you notice, its the exact same serial number and all.

16. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Ha ha, I knew at least one person who used your tactic. Laughing like crazy as we got slaughtered, then complaining when someone used the tactic on him.

Bungie loves to sneak stuff into their games. I remember just recently finding an obscure reference the anime series Saber Marionette J in Oni.
    The marines in Halo talk a lot like BoBs at times, and don't forget the liberal use of the Marathon symbol in Halo...in the logo, on the PoA, on Keyes' uniform...and this clever one I found that can't be coincidental, but I've never seen it attested to:

Attached Files:

17. dethl macrumors regular

I think they should make the marines explode like they did with the BoBs. That would make things really fun :D

What was the obscure reference to SMJ inside of Oni? I'm a fan of that series.

18. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Bioresearch Lab, 1st floor (just after Barabas) in the hall beyond the right set of doors at the far end, a computer terminal reads:

It's possible that it's a coincidence, however the use of the term "Marionette" when connected to a project (the SLDs) much like marionettes in the anime and referring to the "Marionette" project as developing cyborg implant protocols (Maiden Circuits), it seems it's likely intentional. 'Course, I only noticed when I played Oni after watching the entire SMJ series again. :p

19. Forgotten Relic thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, I tried getting AO to work once... but I could never get it to work properly... I would so love to try Marathon multiplayer.

As for bungie working Marathon stuff into Halo... duh. What else would they have done? Gives credit to their ability to make such first-person shooters of that magnitude... though I think Marathon is the far better game then Halo. (mostly duh to storyline and the ****** ass ending they gave Halo 2)

Man I was so pumped to board the alien mothership and finish it... but no the credits had to come!