Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I don't really think either camp has been very innovative recently, because they haven't released anything that hasn't already been done before.

Google Now is quite innovative, and there has never been anything remotely close to that. Also, like it or not, NFC is innovative as it has many uses. Just a week ago I used it to give someone my contact information. The Chrome browser is innovative in that it keeps the history, forms, omnibox, tabs, etc sync'ed across several platforms. Data use controls that even allow you to limit the data access of individual apps is innovative. Regardless of what you think of it, face unlock was innovative. Photosphere is quite innovative, as it gives you a street view type of perspective in a photograph. I say all this to say, there has been innovation in the Android world recently. I didn't even include the innovations done by OEM's like Samsung (multiview, S-Pen, etc).

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Google Now is quite innovative, and there has never been anything remotely close to that. Also, like it or not, NFC is innovative as it has many uses. Just a week ago I used it to give someone my contact information. The Chrome browser is innovative in that it keeps the history, forms, omnibox, tabs, etc sync'ed across several platforms. Data use controls that even allow you to limit the data access of individual apps is innovative. Regardless of what you think of it, face unlock was innovative. Photosphere is quite innovative, as it gives you a street view type of perspective in a photograph. I say all this to say, there has been innovation in the Android world recently. I didn't even include the innovations done by OEM's like Samsung (multiview, S-Pen, etc).

I concur. In terms of innovation, the iPhone and iOS are the ones going downhill since the 4S. Hope Apple can do something great next year, but the chances are slim. :(

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I really doubt anyone can deny that the iPhone is a really good piece of hardware, but in the year 2012 I don't see anyone complaining over hardware I see them complaining about iOS.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I'd say that passbook and NFC are about equal on the innovative meter. Both have great potential but are no where near utilized enough to call innovative. And as for S beam, that's about as useful at iMessage. If no one else you know has a Galaxy phone it's useless. However, to be more specific on what I meant, I don't really think either camp has been very innovative recently, because they haven't released anything that hasn't already been done before.

iMessage is automatic. More people have iPhones and you don't need to be near them. So it's more captivating.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I really doubt anyone can deny that the iPhone is a really good piece of hardware, but in the year 2012 I don't see anyone complaining over hardware I see them complaining about iOS.

Yup. iOS is the main thing that is making me want to try something else. I've been researching android and windows phone a lot lately because I just want a change. iOS is just becoming a little too familiar. It's not that I dislike it. I just want to try something else for a bit and see what's out there.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Yup. iOS is the main thing that is making me want to try something else. I've been researching android and windows phone a lot lately because I just want a change. iOS is just becoming a little too familiar. It's not that I dislike it. I just want to try something else for a bit and see what's out there.

I know what you mean. I would never bash apple , I've given them a lot of my money over the years , but the problem with being the easiest OS is you can't evolve as fast as android and that is just the facts. I was really tempted to go with the next Nexus phone but they didn't release it on a CDMA network. Maybe the SG4 with android 5 shortly after will sway me.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
It's pretty clear that the only disappointment in the iOS. Hardware and design in top notch, that can only be denied if someone is delusional.

iOS needs a major overhaul, same thing for so many years is getting boring. Hopefully we'll see something new in Apple's developer conference, WWDC I think.

If there are no major changes then I'm going to try Android next fall when I have my upgrade. At least after 4.1, it won't be as bad as before, hopefully by then they'll have a <4.2" flagship phone.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I came from the galaxy nexus, and I thought no phone could touch it except the next nexus. I picked up the iPhone 5 as my first iPhone and let me tell you this is such a huge improvement! But is it perfect? Of course not.

There's already an android 4.2 flagship phone. The nexus 4

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Been doing the same lately. Among those that I interested in are the LG Nexus 4, Galaxy S III and the Nokia Lumia 920. :)

----------

It's pretty clear that the only disappointment in the iOS. Hardware and design in top notch, that can only be denied if someone is delusional.

iOS needs a major overhaul, same thing for so many years is getting boring. Hopefully we'll see something new in Apple's developer conference, WWDC I think.

If there are no major changes then I'm going to try Android next fall when I have my upgrade. At least after 4.1, it won't be as bad as before, hopefully by then they'll have a <4.2" flagship phone.

Can't put the bold sentence in a better way myself.:)

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Been doing the same lately. Among those that I interested in are the LG Nexus 4, Galaxy S III and the Nokia Lumia 920. :)

I'm definitely looking at the GS3 or the Nokia. I've been using windows 8 in a VM on my computer and I think I would much prefer it on a phone/tablet. I need to speak with AT&T soon as I payed for the early upgrade fee for the iP5 but they still pushed my next upgrade eligibility back to April 2014. I was expecting to be eligible in 2013 around September. Maybe I'm looking at this early upgrade all wrong, but I figured since I didn't get the iP5 at the full subsidized price (a fault of AT&T might I add, because they thought I purchased the 4s on a contract, when in fact I bought it full price off contract) I thought I would only be held down for one more year instead of almost two.

S

syd430

Google Now is quite innovative

I'm no apple loyalist, I own both Apple and Android products, but lets not pretend that Google/ OEM's are inovating in this space. Yes there is NFC, s-beam etc, but these don't really add much to the device.

I do want to see some meaningful innovation from competitors but the only real breakthrough I've seen since 2007 is popularization of ultra-high resolution panels, which unfortunately is a trend that once again Apple set.

I really wan't to see others surpass apple in a meaningful way, I want better choices, but so far the only real differentiators are OS and screen size.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm no apple loyalist, I own both Apple and Android products, but lets not pretend that Google/ OEM's are inovating in this space. Yes there is NFC, s-beam etc, but these don't really add much to the device.

I do want to see some meaningful innovation from competitors but the only real breakthrough I've seen since 2007 is popularization of ultra-high resolution panels, which unfortunately is a trend that once again Apple set.

I really wan't to see others surpass apple in a meaningful way, I want better choices, but so far the only real differentiators are OS and screen size.

Concur. As a matter of fact, I think everything since the original iPhone back in 2007 is just improvements, not innovation.

Android is doing well, but I wouldn't call most of it's features innovative as well.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I think a lot of people really don't give NFC enough credit. I don't even care to use it as a payment method. I'm more interested in the NFC tags you can program. That actually adds way more to the phone in my opinion.

I originally saw this link posted on these forums a while back.
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...ive-ways-to-use-nfc-with-your-android-device/

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
And what is so terribly wrong with it? :confused:

Android :D

----------

if you take any responsibility for your posts, and understand what accuracy means, you probably would stop assuming & making stuff up.

To the question, I _participate_ here because I currently own & use a lot of Apple products. Here are but some of them.

iPhone 4S
iPhone 5

iPad mini
iPad 2
iPad 3
iPad 4

11" MBA
13" MBA
13" MBPr
15" MBP
15" MBPr
17" MBP
2010 Mac Pro

Are you serious ?
That's insane ... :eek:

Boob

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
99% of people outside of MR will think new iphone = better, even if it is 10% fast, lighter, whatever. Regular people just don't care if they have the best specs, just that it will work and they feel cool about it. Look at the Macbooks - has not led the spec dept in a long time. The MB Airs are just nice ultra books with the usual apple premium. People still love them, wont complain because they can check facebook and send email, they dont care.
This

I still see people using iPhone 3G/3GS models.

I could easily spend money to get a new phone right now if I wanted but in the end I'm using my phone daily for calls, texts, music, Facebook and email. Maybe a game or two once in a blue moon. I'd much rather game on my iPad.

But I'll probably upgrade my 4S to next year's iPhone if I can still sell it for at least $200 to offset the cost of the newer iPhone. That is, unless I decide to go back to Android but right now I'm fine with iOS.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Okay, so, while I agree with a lot of the complaining, a lot of it is pretty idiotic as well.

I had an iPhone 3G that I loved. Once the 4 came out, I went Android because I didn't want a glass phone, as it's just a really dumb idea.

My first Android, was the Aria. It was a phone stock full with bloatware that never received any updates, HTC abandoned the damn thing. Then I went to the HTC Inspire. The battery was 6 hours at most with insane drain and the GPS didn't work. Keep in mind, this was right out of the box. The charger broke two weeks later. Android was painfully glitchy, buggy and just overall brutal. I literally have been counting the days until I was eligible for an iPhone again. And keep in mind, I nearly pulled the trigger for a Galaxy S3, but the phone is just complete garbage. It's chock full with gimmicks and features that are never going to get any use, encased in plastic with an easily breakable screen and is FAR TOO BIG for anyone's use.

My iPhone? Since I got it, I've had no problems. The build quality is perfect, I've had no data dropouts like I did with my Inspire, fantastic battery life and a perfectly functioning GPS.

I also own a Nexus 7. And the one thing that I prefer about Android is its ease of customization and the widgets. The rest, iOS is so much better. Apps that lag on my Nexus run perfectly on my iPhone. There's never any slowdown on my iPhone. My Nexus occasionally gets bogged down. Play Store is bogged with malware.

I will never go back to an Android phone, as I just want a phone that JUST works and an Android powered phone is not that, no matter how big and glossy it is. Unless Android undergoes a massive change, the iOS is still far and away superior.

iOS is a little old-fashioned (as in no widgets, lack of shortcuts and customizability) but it still kicks Android up and down the street in performance and reliability. This has always been Apple's MO.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
its not particularly innovative.

decision between ios 6 and jellybean is generally a person choice, although the whole maps mess is terribly annoying.

hardware wise the iphone is doing fine... though i don't know why they made it "taller" but not at least a little wider. sIII feels to wide to me, and i5 feels to thin.

Frankly, iphone app store is still the strongest though... For example my decision was made easy because i work in the medical field, and ios dominates the med app market. If epocrates and medscape were being developed for win 8 phone, i would have been interested in the lumina 920.... though for all the bluster about that camera it handles lights pretty poorly.

Anyway, the issue with iphone 5 is IOS 6

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Yes it is a good phone.

Too bad it's not the outstanding phone Apple's capable of building. Oh well there's always 2014.

By the looks of early leaks, the 2013 model remains crippled with Apples odd interpretation of a 4.0" display.

This is a good point. The 4" screen is an improvement but it's still too small.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Okay, so, while I agree with a lot of the complaining, a lot of it is pretty idiotic as well.

I had an iPhone 3G that I loved. Once the 4 came out, I went Android because I didn't want a glass phone, as it's just a really dumb idea.

My first Android, was the Aria. It was a phone stock full with bloatware that never received any updates, HTC abandoned the damn thing. Then I went to the HTC Inspire. The battery was 6 hours at most with insane drain and the GPS didn't work. Keep in mind, this was right out of the box. The charger broke two weeks later. Android was painfully glitchy, buggy and just overall brutal. I literally have been counting the days until I was eligible for an iPhone again. And keep in mind, I nearly pulled the trigger for a Galaxy S3, but the phone is just complete garbage. It's chock full with gimmicks and features that are never going to get any use, encased in plastic with an easily breakable screen and is FAR TOO BIG for anyone's use.

My iPhone? Since I got it, I've had no problems. The build quality is perfect, I've had no data dropouts like I did with my Inspire, fantastic battery life and a perfectly functioning GPS.

I also own a Nexus 7. And the one thing that I prefer about Android is its ease of customization and the widgets. The rest, iOS is so much better. Apps that lag on my Nexus run perfectly on my iPhone. There's never any slowdown on my iPhone. My Nexus occasionally gets bogged down. Play Store is bogged with malware.

I will never go back to an Android phone, as I just want a phone that JUST works and an Android powered phone is not that, no matter how big and glossy it is. Unless Android undergoes a massive change, the iOS is still far and away superior.

iOS is a little old-fashioned (as in no widgets, lack of shortcuts and customizability) but it still kicks Android up and down the street in performance and reliability. This has always been Apple's MO.

You opinion is very much in the minority, hope you and your iPhone are happy together.

----------

its not particularly innovative.

decision between ios 6 and jellybean is generally a person choice, although the whole maps mess is terribly annoying.

hardware wise the iphone is doing fine... though i don't know why they made it "taller" but not at least a little wider. sIII feels to wide to me, and i5 feels to thin.

Frankly, iphone app store is still the strongest though... For example my decision was made easy because i work in the medical field, and ios dominates the med app market. If epocrates and medscape were being developed for win 8 phone, i would have been interested in the lumina 920.... though for all the bluster about that camera it handles lights pretty poorly.

Anyway, the issue with iphone 5 is IOS 6

If they made it wider is would be pretty uncomfortable to hold i think because of the square edges.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Google Now is indeed quite innovative. There has never been anything even remotely like it. There is no denying that. As for NFC, it can be used for mobile payments, phone automation, file/data transfer, and as a tag reader. This is indeed innovative. Just a week ago I used NFC to five someone my contact information. It was much faster to tap my phone than to spell my name, give them my number, then give them my email address, and wait for them to create a contact and save it all.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
My experience isn't really rare at all. Android is second rate to iOS and pretty much everyone I know who tried Android a few years ago is now back with iPhone. My Nexus 7 is glitchy, buggy, has touchscreen issues, backlight problems, and the newest Android update is just awful. A little old iOS over Android any day.

Not to mention, Samsung, the great imitator, makes cheap products and don't stand behind them. Just like their TVs, they make products unsuspecting people who think they know what they're talking about but actually don't buy. Cheap, plastic garbage. Motorola is really the only worthwhile Android manufacturer and I have AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.