Lets argue about the Wii [thread split]

Discussion in 'Games' started by Poogis, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Poogis macrumors member

The Wii will die on its arse very soon in my opinion. I think the novelty and the gimmick of waving around a remote is wearing thin with a lot of people. I think Nintendo have forgotten the actual gaming side of business.

Was Zelda: TP that good on the Wii? It's all just the same old crap that we've seen years ago - but for today's prices. And don't get me started on the Virtual Console. I was looking forward to downloading some retro classics at a reasonable price but no way am I paying those prices for games that are ten years old (and over).

I'm playing Pikmin 2 and that's a gamecube game. It's only because I feel I have to buy something to play on it as I'm struggling otherwise.

Search your feelings. You know I'm right.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea I sure hate Nintendo for not bringing out excellent games on the DS and Gameboy Advance. All I'm seeing on the Wii is the DS all over again, so-so initial support, devs later buy bucket loads of dev kits, it rules supreme. So far we're up to the en masse dev kit buying stage. The Gamecube never got here.

Yes it was. Zelda TP, in many gamers eyes, was the next best game since OoT. Infact it's the highest rated game for current gen systems. Time will tell if it can inch up the marks and swallow up OoT for the number 1 spot.
    What I really don't want is last gen games in HD, I'd much rather opt for a new control scheme to fundamentally change how a game is played than seeing more detail on screen, especially at the price tags of the HD systems.
    And the VC? Come on, your British. You should know how much the same games cost in shops. Zelda I on the NES goes for £15-30 in shops, £3.50 on Wii. Ocarina of Time? £15-30, £7 on Wii. Hell I bought the original Kirby's Adventure for £5 months ago when it's just £3.50 on the Wii! I can't speak for the lesser known games, but lord soon I'll be able to buy Super Smash Bros for £7 instead of the £30 GameStation are charging or Chrono Trigger for £5 instead of £70 in store! I see no problem. I'm getting games for less (even cheaper if you buy Wii points from Woolworths, they're a quid cheaper than Nintendo's shop).

No results found.

QFT:) I can't wait for some FPS/A games to start coming out. Metroid supposedly has the First Person control method perfected and I honestly can't wait to get my hands on a Hunters style Wii game.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Sales numbers say "hi!"

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hello, Sales.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. Agilus macrumors regular

If you take into account the user ratings (also listed in your links), it wins hands down. ;)

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Well, to be fair, Twilight Princess is only barely current-gen. It would be like if they ported GoW 2 to PS3 and added nothing but tilt controls.

8. TheGimp macrumors 6502

LOL.

9. Agilus macrumors regular

Cool. That sounds like it renders the HD point just about moot. :)

10. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Wrong...

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/932190.asp?q=madden 07

In Nintendo fans eyes maybe, but by the logic, then the "horribly buggy" and "unplayable" Oblivion is only %.6 behind it. So is TP really that bad that it's only %.6 ahead, or are you going to admit that you might be "slightly" biased?

EDIT: Side note, I still haven't opened mine.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Different sources, different scores. Regardless, it's hardly considered an inferior product, and the control scheme has been generally regarded as quite fun and intuitive.

I was mostly responding to...

...and regardless of which link you look at, they both refute this statement.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

EXACTLY. TP should be seen as it is - a gamecube game. :)

13. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You hold the controller old school style, sideways like a d pad with two buttons. there is no pointing or motion gimmicks. Unless of course Nintendo Power is spreading false rumors about 1st party games.. i hate it when they do that :p

Nintendo is creating false demand, they are limiting the amount of systems sold it has nothing to do with so many people wanting one as the media would like you to believe. Hell even the media around here has forgotten about the Wii, i give it a year before the consumers forget too, hello GCN 2.0, not that its a bad thing i loved my GCN, I just dont see Nintendo going very far this gen with the Wii.

Ed

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You should tell that to the people who are still lining up out here to get one.

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Got any proof of that?

If anyone tried creating false demand, it's Sony. "Ps3s are sold out everywhere", BS. I can readily walk into any store within a 10 mile radius of my house and buy a Ps3 if I wanted to. 20 or 60 gig

Stop spreading FUD.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I haven't heard that since december....what I'm hearing now is that they are doing a good job of keeping the system on the shelf....not selling out.

Bless

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Stop the FUD!

Plenty of Wii's are arriving in the UK. I don't know the US system, but my local shops (middle of nowhere place) get 8-15 units twice a week. Multiply that by however many shops there are, online too, and also add more because inner city areas get more... There are so many coming in. Yet you cannot just walk into a shop to buy one.

The only Wii thing in general I have seen in plentiful stock is the Classic Controller and Wii Points. cables, systems, even GAMES are proving impossible to find.

So much demand for this little white box :)

Nobody want to bring up the TalkSport PS3 vs Wii competition?

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What makes you say that?
    The Wii has already gone further than the Cube did, in the grand scheme of things they have snapped up (recently) a lot of large 3rd party devs. So much that smaller studios can't get their hands on them yet. Several small studios I talk to can't get any just yet. Which is a shame as the Wii is really proving popular to these small studios with the low dev costs.
    Cube never got this far. But what did? The DS.
    Cube also never had this kind of media frenzy or initial demand.
    Hmm.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ummm your saying stop the FUD but you don't know how it is in the US....okay then.

TalkSport PS3 vs Wii competition.....sure lets have some tea and talk about it...you first:)

Bless

22. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

That doesn't make logical sense. More sales = more reason for developers to make games for the system, resulting in still more sales, etc. (exactly opposite what happened with Gamecube). This increased dev. interest is already happening, by all reports. Objective sales figures are very high, so I see no reason to doubt that they're selling everything they can make.

Also - Nintendo makes profit on every console sold; why exactly would they not want to maximize sales & thus profit...?

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I don't get this "creating false demand" argument. The Jan US hardware figures for Wii were 436k compared to Playstation 2 299k, Xbox 360 294k, and Playstation 3 244k. If selling nearly 500,000 is with limited supply, I'd like to see what you could sell if they weren't holding back units.

Nintendo love money, the more they can sell the better for them.