Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Runs hot
Noisy fans
Poor battery life

At these prices, Apple should have done better, and they didn't.

I love my new iMac, and the Mini seems a good machine for the money, but if I had paid the money that Apple is looking for with the MacBook Pro, a great deal more than most other Core Duo portables, I would be appalled.

Heat and excessive noise are not acceptable at those prices. Apple should do a recall and get these machines right.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
hold on a min - i'll just TXT Steve and tell him to recall all of the Macbook Pro's for you ....

nope he says sod off cause he thinks they are "Bitchin"

:D :D

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Oh yeah, they really sound bitchin'.

I love the sound of overstrained fans in the morning. Smells like...victory.

No, make that smells like shoddy engineering.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Well I am happy with mine. The fans more or less never come on. It runs about as hot as my old PowerBook. It's fast, the screen looks great...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
netdog said:
Oh yeah, they really sound bitchin'.

I love the sound of overstrained fans in the morning. Smells like...victory.

No, make that smells like shoddy engineering.

Well get over it, you don't even have one so do you care

Apple will fix this and everyone will be happy until then people with MBP will have too live with it

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
netdog said:
Apple should do a recall and get these machines right.
The term 'right' is too arbitrary by far and hence the suggestion that a major organisation should not release a product until all aspects are deemed 'right' for every single member of every single party with a vested interest is flawed.

Why not just say "I don't like the MBP"?

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
I love my MBP, ok granted its taken 2 repairs but its completely sorted now and a pleasure to use. No Noise/Dropouts/Buzzing/Mooing/Whining.

I dont understand why people are on about the heat, ive had 2 powerbooks before the MBP and they both easily got as hot as my MBP does.

Its easily the fastest computer ive used, makes the 3 gig pc i use in work look stupid.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time.

This 17" G4 PowerBook is being replaced by a 17" IntelliBook just as soon as I can con my Uni into changing it for me, warts and all.

Apple have provided what we all asked for a laptop that looks great, runs quick and doesn't have "Dell" or "HP" on the case.:D

Sure there are going to be problems, new hardware always has problems, but they'll iron it out. The MBP's are great machines, flaws nonwithstanding.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Malcster said:
I love my MBP, ok granted its taken 2 repairs but its completely sorted now and a pleasure to use. No Noise/Dropouts/Buzzing/Mooing/Whining.

I dont understand why people are on about the heat, ive had 2 powerbooks before the MBP and they both easily got as hot as my MBP does.

Its easily the fastest computer ive used, makes the 3 gig pc i use in work look stupid.

Yes? They are quiet and cooler running now? That is what I want to hear. I see a lot of posts about the heat and noises.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
WinterMute said:
Just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time.

This 17" G4 PowerBook is being replaced by a 17" IntelliBook just as soon as I can con my Uni into changing it for me, warts and all.

Apple have provided what we all asked for a laptop that looks great, runs quick and doesn't have "Dell" or "HP" on the case.:D

Sure there are going to be problems, new hardware always has problems, but they'll iron it out. The MBP's are great machines, flaws nonwithstanding.

Amazingly, my iMac has no problems, and was one of the very first shipped in January. I haven't heard many complain apart from the very occasional post about a bad fan. MBPs, on the other hand, have generated a lot of the above-mentioned complaints.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
netdog said:
Amazingly, my iMac has no problems, and was one of the very first shipped in January. I haven't heard many complain apart from the very occasional post about a bad fan. MBPs, on the other hand, have generated a lot of the above-mentioned complaints.

Yes, my iMac is very good indeed, apart from the annoying wireless network problems.

I don't think I've heard the fans come on...

This G4 PowerBook was a complete lemon when I first got it (rev a) and was almost entirely rebuilt by Apple under warranty in the first 6 weeks, since then it's been the most reliable computer I've ever owned. (This of course means it's going to explode in about 5 mins).

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Malcster said:

Wow, you plunked down a lot of cash on a brand new computer and had to have it repaired twice in order for it to work like its supposed to. Thats just great :rolleyes:

Stevie_nottm

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2004
Well, if you pitch the new 17" MBP against the to be released HP offering, theres barely £50 between the two...

And I'm sure the HP wont have 5.5hrs battery life!!!!

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Stevie_nottm said:
Well, if you pitch the new 17" MBP against the to be released HP offering, theres barely £50 between the two...

Maybe .5

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Stevie_nottm said:

Nor will the 17" mbp

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
brikeh said:
Nor will the 17" mbp
# 17-inch MacBook Pro

* 68-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 5.5 hours of battery life(1)

(1)Battery life depends on configuration and use.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
yeah, I was thinking real world numbers. Should it have the dreaded whine and you have to run the mirror widget thats gonna drain battery too. :mad:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
robbieduncan said:
Well I am happy with mine. The fans more or less never come on. It runs about as hot as my old PowerBook. It's fast, the screen looks great...
Same here.

Only hear the fans when I peg the CPUs for a few minutes, doesn't feel hotter than the 15" PB that it replaced, and I get the same battery life, which amazes me because like you said, it's fast and the screen is awseome .. two traits which usually suck the life out of the battery quickly.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
brikeh said:
yeah, I was thinking real world numbers. Should it have the dreaded whine and you have to run the mirror widget thats gonna drain battery too. :mad:
Probably not, the 17" MBP has a Firewire 800 port which means it has a different logic board than the 15" MBP.

So yeah.

Guys, pro laptops of any brand will always be hot and noisy. That's just the way they are, they're horny for some lovin'. Take a look inside the Power Mac G5. I've never seen a better built computer. Ever.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
zap2 said:
Well get over it, you don't even have one so do you care

Apple will fix this and everyone will be happy until then people with MBP will have too live with it

that's why i try and get rev 2 machines

my rev 1 ibook was cool until a couple of months later they doubled the hard drive and ram capacity and solved the waking from sleep problem and the trackpad leaning to the left problem

my rev 1 intel imac is also cool but it runs some UB apps slower or partially and rosetta is a dog in some programs and i don't think tiger is fully optimized to run with intel chips...rev 2 imac should have those problems more of less solved

the problem with any rev 1 product is that they don't have the feedback from millions of users who chance upon overlooked issues that a regular r and d department won't always catch

as for being *****, macworld liked it mostly but had plenty of cons for it, and the macbook pro in its first revision is something i would want more than any pc laptop in its first revision in core duo architecture

a second revision core duo pc would probably be a better machine, valuewise, than the current macbook pro as it stands now

apple should solve the issues on the macbook pro, and lower the price...then a lot of the griping i see on macrumors on this model will probably diminish significantly

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Obviously, people with problems complain loudly and people without them tend not to mention their lack of issues.

My MBP is silent, works perfectly, and has great wireless access. Yes, it is hot. However, that's not an engineering problem so much as the simple physics of dissipating the heat of the core duo. The only other option is to boost fan output, which would make it louder. I can handle the heat.

Those who don't like the heat while using it as a true laptop can always disable one of the processors - not great if you're gaming (on your lap?) but fine for surfing, email, etc., and it does cool things down noticeably as well as extend battery life.

I'd love a Rev B version, and I wish I had the 17", but I got this in a window of opportunity - a very small window - when the stars aligned and my manager allowed me to get it. As such, I'm happy to have it and see no real issues with mine whatsoever.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
netdog said:
Runs hot
Noisy fans
Poor battery life

At these prices, Apple should have done better, and they didn't.

I love my new iMac, and the Mini seems a good machine for the money, but if I had paid the money that Apple is looking for with the MacBook Pro, a great deal more than most other Core Duo portables, I would be appalled.

Heat and excessive noise are not acceptable at those prices. Apple should do a recall and get these machines right.

Do you have a MacBook Pro?

I do, & I have no problems with it at all; it is 'a week 5' MacBook Pro. There is no whine at all, never has been; the fans don't come on very much or 'smell' at all; & it never gets so hot it burns me or I can't use it on my lap (unless I am running SIMS 2, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, & Parallels at the same time)

There is nothing wrong with my machine except I have one stuck pixel that is stuck on 'red' but it is covered by the dock. I know it's there, but sometimes I can't even find it. I think having 1/1260000 pixels dead is pretty good.

I love my MacBook Pro & is everything I thought it would be when I first ordered it, & the day before arrival I was flippin out if it was gonna be perfect or a frikkin flop ass DOA, but it turned out perfect, minus one pixel.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
The Dell Latitude D810 that work bought for me back in November cost $3500 then (even now it's $2600 configured to the same level, 2.26GHz P-M, XP Pro, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 15" WUXGA screen) and it's hot, whines and the fans are on maybe half the time (at least, that's what it feels like). And it's 1.5" thick and weighs 7lb.

Maybe being a long time windows PC user, I don't have as high standards as you cossetted Mac-only users, but complaints about heat (if it's not dangerously hot), noisy fans or a whining LCD on the MBP don't get much sympathy with me. All the laptops I've used over the past 7 years have had these problems, except for the Thinkpad T41p, which wasn't hot but whined and used its fans a lot. In fact, the T41p was the only laptop I could use on my lap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.