Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
You need a jailbroken device as far as I know.

Yep. Hamza just told me he has his own R/W exploit he will never share. I got it working in the iPhone Simulator but I don't believe there is a way to emulate the volume up button so we are screwed for now.

richard6r

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2013
Least you guys tried, I was following this thread closely. too bad he won't share his exploit. probably because he can pass it later on to the dev team for a real jailbreak. who knows. thanks guys :) :rolleyes:

-edit- could you try the accessibility settings and use the assistivetouch to simulate the volume press? I figure its the same...

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Not sure you can get anywhere with this without write access to the device.

However, in case it is any use to anyone, you can import the private PrototypeTools framework into your project, and get a valid instance of some of the various classes used. For example, you can get an instance of PTSHUD with...

Class y = NSClassFromString(@"PTSHUD");
id pts = [[y alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(0.0f, 0.0f, 320.0f, 320.0f)];

and then run its methods with performSelector...

[pts performSelector:mad:selector(show) withObject:nil];

However, you'll just get an error because it doesn't have a valid set of settings to work with. Obviously, if you class dump the PrototypeTools framework and SpringBoard you can see all the methods you can call.

tobiastimpe

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Simply use the SSH Ramdisk Creator from MSFTguy, mount the FS, change the fstab to rw and enable AFC2. Then copy over the PrototypeSettings.framework.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Simply use the SSH Ramdisk Creator from MSFTguy, mount the FS, change the fstab to rw and enable AFC2. Then copy over the PrototypeSettings.framework.

Surely that would only work if you were running an SSH server on your phone... which you could only do if you were already jailbroken.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009

I don't have an iPhone 4.

----------

Surely that would only work if you were running an SSH server on your phone... which you could only do if you were already jailbroken.

It works without jailbreak. It's a simple thing to give basic R/W access.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
So, this means that when a jailbreak is released for iOS7, we will be able to enable these settings?

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for everyone's help. However, I only have iPhone 5 and iPad devices, and for the 5 ramdisk creator just says unsupported device. So looks like I'm stuck.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Thanks for everyone's help. However, I only have iPhone 5 and iPad devices, and for the 5 ramdisk creator just says unsupported device. So looks like I'm stuck.

Yep, same here. Although I do have a hint of the exploit would you be willing to help me find it maybe? It seems like you know a lot more about this than I do.

Nickmor7

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2013
All I would need is the internal settings framework and the file name with the strings needed to be edited or tell me where it is

wasabeeguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
Not sure you can get anywhere with this without write access to the device.

However, in case it is any use to anyone, you can import the private PrototypeTools framework into your project, and get a valid instance of some of the various classes used. For example, you can get an instance of PTSHUD with...

where exactly are you finding the PrototypeTools framework? I have Xcode 5 beta installed and everything. I have been scouring everywhere for that framework and I cannot find it for the life of me.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
where exactly are you finding the PrototypeTools framework? I have Xcode 5 beta installed and everything. I have been scouring everywhere for that framework and I cannot find it for the life of me.

Same place private frameworks always are now...

/Applications/Xcode5-DP2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS7.0.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

Nickmor7

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2013
Thank you mavericks I'm downloading Xcode now and i will try to see if this will work on my iPhone 4 :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.